Polytechnic University of the Philippines

From Wikipilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
(Redirected from Pup)
Jump to: navigation, search
Polytechnic University of the Philippines
Pup.png
Address Anonas Street, Sta. Mesa Manila, Philippines 1008
Website www.pup.edu.ph


The Polytechnic University of the Philippines (PUP) is a non-sectarian and non-profit state university originally established as a business school in 1904. It is currently the Philippines' largest university in terms of student population, with 52,000 students and 1,483 faculty members spread across six campuses, two branches and ten extensions throughout the country.

The university's main campus is located in Sta. Mesa, Manila.

Contents

History

Establishment

PUP started out as the Manila Business School, founded in October 1904, as part of the city school system under superintended CA O'Reilley. Initially offering secondary and vocational-technical courses such as stenography, bookkeeping, stenography and telegraphy, it was designated as an Insular school and renamed the Philippine School of Commerce (PSC) in 1908. With this designation, a four-year secondary course in commerce.

In 1911 the PSC first produced its first batch of high school graduates, and the course on telegraphy was discontinued because of better facilities offered by the Bureau of Posts' Telegraph School. Six years later, in 1917, the PSC revised its curriculum and started to offer night classes. However these classes would be discontinued in 1932 because of a government retrenchment policy.

Merger with the PNS and WWII

In 1933 the PSC was merged with the Philippine Normal School (PNS, later the Philippine Normal University) and the Philippine School of Arts and Trades. During the 12-year merger, under which the PSC operated under the PNS management, its graduates were considered PNS graduates and the two schools shared the same campus. At this time, the PSC also replaced its secondary curriculum with a two-year college curriculum.

The separation of the PSC and the PNS was proposed by then Pres. Manuel L. Quezon in 1940, and with the filing of a bill by congressman Manuel A. Alazarte, along with then department head Luis F. Reyes, in 1942.

However World War II broke out, and the PSC was among institutions of learning compelled to declare a “blackout on culture.” The campus was destroyed during the Liberation of Manila, and after the war, the school focused on reestablishment and rehabilitation of its facilities. The PSC was only reestablished on August 4, 1946 and started offering a complete four-year course in distributive arts education as well as one and two-year courses in retail merchandising.

Postwar Era

In 1949, Republic Act No. 415, an act providing for the establishment of teacher-training departments in state-funded schools, was passed. The PSC was one of the beneficiaries, and by 1951, the school officially had three departments: Teacher Training, Business Education, and Research. The following year, the PSC became the Philippine College of Commerce (PCC) by virtue of Republic Act 778. Undergraduate courses in commerce were added to the programs of the college. Luis F. Reyes became the first college president.

In 1962, with Dr. Nemesio E. Prudente as college president, the college first established its codified set of rules and regulations. The first issue of the PCC Faculty Journal was published the next year, along with the offering of more liberal arts courses, and the establishment of the Public Relations program. The student assistantship and financial aid program was instituted in 1965, and a policy of student involvement in PCC's official functions was adopted in 1967.

With these developments, the college charter was revised in 1968 by virtue of the passage of RA No. 6980, authorizing the PCC to offer courses in the social sciences related to business education. In line with the charter's revisions, the president of the college's Supreme Student Council was then included as a member of the Board of Trustees (now Board of Regents), college personnel being excluded from civil service rules and regulations, and more revisions of the curriculum such as the offering of the Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts and Master of Business Administration courses instead of the previous two-year commercial course. The college code was revised in 1971.

Martial Law

A year later Martial Law was declared, and with the college's reorganization, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) was abolished only to be reestablished in 1976. New courses were offered, such as a five-year curriculum in Accounting in 1972 and Bachelor of Business Administration and General Administration in 1974.

The Center for Skills and Rural Industries Development was also established in 1974, and a branch in the Bataan Export Processing Zone (BEPZ) in Mariveles, Bataan opened in 1975.

In 1978, the PCC became the Polytechnic University of the Philippines, a chartered state university. With this proclamation, the university's offerings were broadened a year later, from offering masteral and doctorate programs to the institution of ladderized baccalaureate courses in Hotel and Restaurant Management, Tourism, Library Science and Office Administration. The Lopez, Quezon branch was also opened in 1979, offering teacher education courses as part of a consortium with the Philippine Normal College.

1983 saw the reestablishment of the PUP Student Council, along with a modernization program that included a computer course in all degree programs. A year later the university adopted the “cluster colleges” setup, enabling colleges to prepare the curriculum and supervise all subjects, required by the degree program, offered by the college. The University Center for Technological Research was also established.

Post-EDSA Revolution

PUP underwent a bigger reorganization in April 1986, a few months after the EDSA Revolution and with the revision of the university code. Many departments and institutes were made into colleges. Among these were Institute of Technology to the College of Engineering and Architecture (CEA), and the Electronic Data Processing area, under the College of Business, to the College of Computer Management and Information Technology (CCMIT). This also led to the creation of the College of Languages and Mass Communication (CLMC), the Institute of Social History (ISH) and the Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations (ILIR).

The democratization of the Academic Council also followed, with membership expanded to include associate and assistant professors (the council used to be only open to full professors). The open-door policy was institutionalized, plus the revival of Trends, the university's official professional journal. A new university philosophy and mission was also formulated by a multi-sectoral committee, along with a new university logo and hymn.

Reorganization continued until the following year, with the establishment of baccalaureate programs in the Maragondon, Bataan and Lopez branches of the PUP. The University Center for Human Rights Education (UCHURE) was also established; and KAWANI, the PUP employees union, was recognized. Memorabilia, the official yearbook of graduating students, was also revived.

Efforts to further democratize the university governance and expansion of the university was followed by the filing of numerous bills in Congress in 1988. These bills sought the creation of seats for faculty and student representatives in the university's Board of Regents; financial autonomy for state universities and colleges; and the establishment of extension programs in Taguig, Romblon and Masbate plus a national mass communications center in PUP Manila.

In 1989, development of the Taguig campus started as well as the establishment of the Research Institute for Politics and Economics (RIPE) and the Center for International Relations (CIR). The University Textbook Board was also established in this year. Plans for the establishment of an open university was also made.

The 1990's to the present

The PUP Open University, or Pamantasang Bayan, was formally established in 1990. The Pamantasang Bayan offered programs for students in San Pedro, Laguna; Calaca, Batangas; Lopez and Mulanay in Quezon, Lagro, Quezon City and Parañaque both in Metro Manila; it would later expand to include 25 municipalities all over the Philippines.

In 1991 the four-story, three-wing University Library was inaugurated, as well as the establishment of the Research Center for Peace, Justice, and Democracy. This year also saw the appointment of Dr. Zenaida A. Olonan as the first lady president of the PUP.

The computerization project of the university was strengthened in 1997 with the revision of the Bachelor in Information Technology course into the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSCS), while the Bachelor in Computer Data Processing and Management (BCDPM) was revised as the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BSIT) course. In line with this, the PUP Website Project, then a feasibility project of computer science students, was launched on January 1998. A year later, the PUP Information Linkages Systems (PUPILS) and the PUP Information Technology Center (PUP IT Center) were established.

In the year 2000, the university was then designated as a Center of Development for Excellence in Information Technology by the Commission of Higher Education (CHED) and a Virtual Center for Technology Innovation in Information Technology (VCTI-IT) by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST).

2001 saw the creation of new colleges, some from existing departments: The College of Law, College of Communication, College of Nutrition and Food Science, College of Tourism and Hotel and Restaurant Management, College of Architecture and Fine Arts, and the College of Languages and Linguistics (from the College of Languages and Mass Communication). It was also one of three universities which was able to implement the Expanded Tertiary Education Equivalency and Accreditation Program (ETEEAP) of the CHED despite lack of financial support.

A proposal for the establishment of a College of Medicine was filed in 2004, in line with the construction of its own hospital and the introduction of a BS Nursing course in the Bataan campus with the cooperation of the Bataan Polytechnic State College.

The university also celebrated its centennial in 2004, with over 30,000 students, faculty and alumni participating in a bid to form the world's largest human rainbow.

The Polytechnic University of the Philippines System

The Constituent Universities

The Satellite Campuses

The Branches

The Extension Campuses

not including vocational schools

Specialized

Secondary Education

Special Academic Programs - Open University

Aside from offering traditional college courses, PUP offers several non-traditional degree programs catering to students that are unable to attend traditional classes due to physical, economic and geographical circumstances. These non-traditional programs are offered under the PUP Open University, which consists of three schools: the School of Distance Education, the School of Open Learning, and the School of Professional Studies, under which the Nontraditional Study Program and Expanded Tertiary Education Equivalency and Accreditation Program are under.

Nontraditional Study Program

The Nontraditional Study Program (NTSP) is an accreditation and self-study program wherein the student’s educational background, work experience and achievements are evaluated through a point system or rating system. This evaluation is then factored in the creation of an individualized program administered by a faculty adviser/NTSP evaluator, culminating in a thesis or special project to be defended by the student before a panel of evaluators.

Expanded Tertiary Education Equivalency and Accreditation Program

The Expanded Tertiary Education Equivalency and Accreditation Program (ETEEAP) of the Commission on Higher Education is an educational assessment scheme which recognizes knowledge, skill and prior learning attained by individuals from non-formal and informal educational experiences. Through an accreditation of the Association of Accredited Colleges and Universities, PUP has established an ETEEAP Center to assess students in terms of their performance.

Reference

Citation

Wikipinas.png

Original content from WikiPilipinas. under GNU Free Documentation License. See full disclaimer.