Philippines at the 2008 Summer Olympics
|Philippines at the Olympic Games|
|NOC:|| Philippine Olympic Committee|
|Summer Olympic Games appearances|
|1924 • 1928 • 1932 • 1936 • 1948 • 1952 • 1956 • 1960 • 1964 • 1968 • 1972 • 1976 • 1980 • 1984 • 1988 • 1992 • 1996 • 2000 • 2004 • 2008|
|Winter Olympic Games appearances|
|1972 • 1976 • 1980 • 1984 • 1988 • 1992 • 1994 • 1998 • 2002 • 2006|
The Philippines competed in the 2008 Summer Olympic Games <ref>POC Schedule of Activities</ref> in Beijing, China from August 8, 2008 to August 24, 2008.
Opening ceremonies took place on August 8, 2008 at 8:00 in the evening. Boxing star Manny Pacquiao bore the Philippine flag during the event, while Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo watched from the stands<ref>Henson, Manny deserves Olympic honor, says Monico, 2008.</ref>.
The Philippines sent 15 delegates to the Summer Olympics, who participated in eight sports: archery, athletics, boxing, diving, shooting, swimming, weightlifting and taekwondo<ref>Team RP ready for Beijing joust, 2008.</ref>. The first contingent of 11 athletes traveled to Beijing on August 5 while the remaining two went to China on August 11 to allow for further training in the Philippines<ref>Team Philippines leaves for Beijing in Batches, 2008.</ref>.
- Eric Ang (Shooting)
- Ryan Paolo Arabejo (Swimming)
- Daniel Zane Coakley (Swimming)
- Henry Dagmil (Athletics)
- Hidilyn Diaz (Weightlifting)
- Rexel Ryan Fabriga (Diving)
- Tshomlee Go (Taekwondo)
- Mark Javier (Archery)
- Miguel Molina (Swimming)
- Sheila Mae Perez (Diving)
- Marie Antoinette Rivero (Taekwondo)
- Christel Simms (Swimming)
- Marestella Torres (Athletics)
- Harry Tañamor (Boxing)
- JB Walsh (Swimming)
- JB Walsh became the first Southeast Asian swimmer to finish the 200-meter butterfly in under two minutes<ref>Walsh cracks barrier, 2008</ref>. He finished the relay in one minute and 59.39 seconds.
- The Philippine wushu team got a gold, a silver and two bronze medals in Beijing. However, since wushu was only a demonstration game, their medals were not counted in the final tally. The wushu team had four members: Willy Wang (gold medal: two-event nanquan and nangun in men’s taolo), Mary Grace Estimar (silver: 52kg sanshou), Marian Mariano (bronze: 60kg sanshou) and Benjie Rivera (bronze: 56kg sanshou)<ref>Triumphant wushu team to be rewarded, 2008.</ref>.
- Manny deserves Olympic honor, says Monico. Philippine Star. Retrieved August 8, 2008.
- Tupas, C. (2008, July 29). Team Philippines leaves for Beijing in batches. Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved August 8, 2008.
- POC Schedule of activities
- Team RP ready for Beijing joust. ABS-CBN News. Retrieved August 8, 2008.
- Walsh cracks barrier Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved August 8, 2008.
- Triumphant wushu team to be rewarded. GMA News. Retrieved August 28, 2008.