Philippine Reserve Officer Training Corps
The Philippine Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) is a military program for college students in the Philippines. It is intended to train students to prepare for national defense, and includes problem solving, military discipline, systematic planning, proper ethics, and leadership skills.
In 1862, ROTC was first established in the United States as a college elective focusing on military training and discipline. Many countries that were connected with the United States then followed the same program, including the Republic of the Philippines.
On the brink of World War II, in the year 1912, the Americans established the first Philippine ROTC unit in the University of the Philippines. Even after the country gained its independence, the ROTC program remained a college elective for all Filipino students.
Republic Act No. 9163
In 2001, under the Philippine Republic Act No. 9163, ROTC was incorporated into the National Service Training Program (NSTP), which allowed students to choose to undergo training for civic service other than the ROTC.
Under the NSTP, college students are required to choose and complete at least one of its three components in order to be able to graduate. They may choose from the following:
- ROTC program, which provides military training;
- Literacy Training Service, which provides training on teaching basic reading and math;
- Civic Welfare Training Service, which involves students in activities contributing to community welfare, such as caring for the environment, public safety, health, sports, and entrepreneurship.
''Italic text''Italic textItalic textBold text''''== Current ROTC Units in NCR ==
- New Era University - Diliman (Army)
- Arellano University (Army)
- University of the Philippines (Army)
- University of Santo Tomas (Army)
- Adamson University (Navy)
- Airlink International Aviation School (Air Force)
- AMA Computer University (Air Force)
- Ateneo De Manila University (Air Force)
- Colegio de San Juan de Letran (Army)
- University of Manila (Army)
- De La Salle University (Navy)
- Don Bosco (Air Force)
- Far Eastern University (Army)
- Far Eastern Air Transport Incorporated (Air Force)
- Jose Rizal College (Army)
- Mapua Institute of Technology (Army)
- Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila (Army)
- Philippine Merchant Marine School (Navy )
- Philippine School of Business Administration (Army)
- Philippine State College of Aeronautics (Air Force)
- PATTS (Air Force)
- San Sebastian College - Recoletos (Army)
- Trinity College (Army)
- University of the East (Army)
- University of Perpetual Help (Army)
- Quezon City Polytechnic University (Army)
- Men of the ROTC Inquirer.net(accessed March 24, 2010)
- National Defense College of the Philippines (accessed March 24, 2010)
- Republic Act No. 9163 Chan-Robles.com (accessed March 24, 2010)
- Reserve Officers Training Corps New World Encyclopedia. (accessed March 24, 2010)