Philippine National Police Academy
From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
The Philippine National Police Academy or PNPA is the premiere training school for future officers of the Philippine National Police. It is under the direct supervision of the Philippine Public Safety College, a bureau under the Department of the Interior and Local Government.
The PNPA was created through the issuance of Presidential Decree 1184, or the Integrated National Police Personnel Professionalization Law of 1997 on 26 August 1997. Section 19 of the decree provides that “there shall be established in the Integrated National Police a premier police and fire service training institution to be known as the Philippine National Police Academy for the education and training of the members of the Integrated National Police.”
On 12 June 1978, the Academy was formally organized and activated through the Department of National Defense Order No. 83 issued on 25 May 1978. The order was aimed at upgrading the law enforcement services in the country for the tri-bureau existence through quality training.
The PNPA’s full activation was contained in DNP Order 23 issued on 23 June 1978. The Academy conducted its first Cadetship Training test on May 4 and 4 June 1978, which selected 50 police cadets. The cadets trained at the INP Training Command Headquarters in Fort Bonifacio, Makati. Formal academic instructions started on 17 July 1978 until the Academy moved to Camp Vicente Lim in Calamba, Laguna, on 19 August 1978.
Two years later, the Academy produced its Maharlika Class of 1980, the first batch of graduates of the Philippine National Police Academy. During its early years of existence, the Academy limited the admission for the two-year Bachelor of Science in Public Safety to qualified members of the INP only. Applicants who were not in the INP service could not be appointed as cadets. To accommodate more applicants, the Academy changed its admission policy after three years and allowed civilian applicants. Qualifications and standards were established as prerequisites for their formal admission.
The PNPA was granted its own Academic Charter through Presidential Decree No. 1780, or the Philippine National Police Academy Charter of 1981 on 15 January 1981, thereby elevating its status as a premier institution of the Philippine National Police.
With the passage of Republic Act 6975 on 13 December 1990, which established the PNP, the Academy became a primary component of the Philippine Public Safety College. The PPSC assumed the responsibility of the training and educational development for all personnel of the Police, Fire and Jail bureaus. The Academy retained its autonomy by virtue of its academic charter granted earlier by P.D. 1780. On 13 April 1995, the Academy found its new and permanent home at Camp General Mariano N. Castañeda in Silang, Cavite.
With its vision to admit more cadets, the PNPA admitted female cadets on 1 May 1993, pursuant to Republic Act 7192, or the Women in Development and National Building Act. The first female cadet graduated in 1995.
The 1978 BSPS curriculum was revised and finalized in 1982 and 1995. In 1997, the course was changed from two years to three years. Finally, the curriculum became a four-year course. Cadets who are admitted to the Academy are government scholars who receive monthly pay and allowances, uniforms, subsistence, books, school equipment and supplies, toiletries, laundry, and haircut.
Graduates of the Academy are conferred the Bachelor of Science in Public Safety degree, and have the option to choose the branch of service they want—Philippine National Police, Bureau of Fire Protection or the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology.
 External Links