Paulo C. Campos
From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
Paulo C. Campos (July 27, 1921-June 2, 2007) was noted to be one of the pioneers and most prominent physicians in the Philippines.
Dr. Campos finished both his elementary and high school as valedictorian in 1934 and 1938 at the Dasmariñas Elementary School and at the Cavite High School. He then pursued an Associate in Arts degree at the UP College of Liberal Arts in 1940, and Doctor of Medicine at the UP College of Medicine in 1945. He was the first topnotcher of the first Medical Board Exam in the Philippines with an average of 90.85% in May 1946.
After he got his medical license, Dr. Campos set his sights on helping the impoverished Filipinos who seek special medical attention, especially those who lived in the rural areas. With this in mind, he pursued graduate studies abroad, namely: Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (1952-1953), the Harvard School of Medicine (1953 and 1958), and the Oak Ridge Institute of Medicine (1958). He involved himself in researches on nuclear medicine at the Johns Hopkins and Harvard.
 Career and Contributions
Upon returning to the Philippines, Dr. Campos resumed his medical practice and research in the early 1960s. He became head of the UP-PGH's Department of Medicine (1960-1973) and concurrent head of the department's Research Laboratories (1960-1979). He initiated the establishment of laboratories and the conduct of new research which aimed to revolutionize medical studies and to serve Filipino patients.
Dr. Campos spearheaded the establishment of the first Radioisotope Laboratory in the country, opened at the UP-PGH in 1958. The laboratory blazed new frontiers in the diagnosis, investigation and treatment of diseases. In 1960, he also opened the Thyroid Clinic located at the Out-Patient Department of the PGH. It was in this clinic that Dr. Campos continued his research on the genetic factor of endemic goiter, which clarified misconceptions about the disease. He also organized the Comprehensive Community Health Program (CCHP), a joint venture of the PGH Department of Medicine and Department of Health which familiarized interns with the problems in the community. In addition, Dr. Campos also founded the Medical Center Manila (MCM) in August 1967.
Dr. Campos is recognized as one of the founders of the National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST), and served as its first president from 1978 to 1989. He also helped establish the Emilio Aguinaldo College (EAC), College of Medicine in 1973 and served as its president until 1980. In 1967, he extended the EAC-Cavite to extend medical education to the entire Southern Tagalog area. However, after suffering a stroke, he decided to sell the school to the De La Salle University (DLSU). It is now called De La Salle University-Dasmariñas.
For his achievements in research, the Philippine Association for the Advancement of Science named him Outstanding Scientist (Gregorio Y. Zara Award) in 1969. And in 1989, he was conferred as a National Scientist by Former President Corazon Aquino.
 External Links
- National Academy of Science and Technology (2000). National Scientists of the Philippines. Anvil Publishing.