Pangako Sa 'Yo (TV series)
|Pangako Sa ’Yo|
|Starring|| Kristine Hermosa|
(see cast) for the complete list.
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||480 episodes|
|Running time||30 minutes|
Pangako Sa ’Yo (English: My Promise to You) or The Promise (international broadcast title) is considered as one of the Philippines' most watched-soap opera in recent television history. Started in 2000, the Teleserye (the name given by ABS-CBN for their soap operas) ran for two-and-a-half years.
The story starts with the love story of Amor Powers(Eula Valdez) and Eduardo Buenavista (Tonton Gutierrez). Eduardo's mother, Benita, opposes the relationship since Amor was just a maid and also because she wanted Eduardo to marry Claudia (Jean Garcia) for political reasons. Eduardo's brother, Diego (Jestoni Alarcon), who has a crush on Amor, was asked by Benita to separate them. Eduardo, on seeing Diego trying to rape Amor, mistook it as them having a relationship, and is heartbroken and decides to marry Claudia. Amor, now pregnant, is forced to leave the Buenavista Hacienda and went back to her mother at a trash dump site. She vows to have her revenge on the Buenavista family when she finds out that Eduardo has married Claudia.
After giving birth to a girl named Maria Amor, Amor and her friend Lourdes survived by working in clubs. Amor caught the eye of a rich American who brings her to the U.S.A. She leaves her child and mother at the dump and sends money to them from time to time.
The American was abusive to Amor. When a landslide hit the dump site, making Amor think that her mother and daughter had died, he still did not allow her to go back to the Philippines. She got her revenge on him by not getting the medical help he needed when he suffered a stroke. He died and she inherits all his money.
Eduardo and Claudia had two children: Angelo and Lia. Eduardo is the current Governor of Punta Verde while Claudia has become the ever elusive Gambling Queen. Angelo is a rebel who dislikes his father while Lia is the sweet, church-attending teen whose feelings everyone wants to protect.
Amor's daughter, however, survives the landslide and is adopted by a couple, Isko and Belen Macaspac. They already had a son named Caloy, who hated Yna. The couple found drawings Eduardo made for Amor, signed "Ynamorata" near the abandoned child, so they decided to call the little girl they found Ynamorata. Isko and Belen soon had another child, Flerida.
Benita Buenavista regretted forcing Eduardo to marry Claudia as her daughter-in-law turned out to be a bad lady. She tried to explain on her deathbed that she was the one who broke his relationship with Amor but died before explaining. She then haunted the dreams of the now grown up Yna to make up for her sins.
By accident, Yna and Eduardo meet and Yna dreams Benita showing her that her past lies in the Buenavista family. Intrigued, she gets a job working as a maid for the family in hopes of finding out about her past.
Yna and Angelo fall in love, much to the chagrin of Claudia, and due to the fact she looks down on maids, makes Yna's life a living hell.
Amor, coming back from the US as Amor Powers, has made a name for herself in the business world, all the while planning her revenge on the Buenavista family, whom she blamed for the sufferings she endured before as well as the assumed death of her child. One of the most awaited parts is the revelation to Amor that Yna is in fact her long lost daughter.
The dilemma is that, after finding out that Yna's true father is Eduardo, Angelo and Yna are therefore siblings. It is later revealed that Angelo's true dad is not Eduardo. It is at 1st thought to be Simon (who was a poor lover of Claudia), but it is later revealed to be Diego's with a poor woman who passed away.
In turn's out that Claudia gave birth to a daughter; Claudia's father later switched the babies so a boy would inherit his riches. The daughter's name was Maria Amor, who was raised by an old woman and had her believing she was Amor's daughter (but her real name was revealed to be Clarissa) and was later briefly mistaken to be Amor and Eduardo's daughter by everyone, including Claudia. To seek revenge on Amor, Claudia kills Maria Amor. She later find's out who Maria Amor really is and is deeply crushed. When she reconciles with everyone in Yna and Angelo's wedding, she sees her daughter's spirit and begs forgiveness. At prison, she inherits her daughter's ashes.
The conclusion is that everyone is reunited with their true loves- Yna marries Angelo, Claudia marries Simon Barcial, and Amor and Eduardo are together. Template:Spoilerend
Cast and Characters
Kristine Hermosa as Ynamorata 'Yna' Macaspac
Jericho Rosales as Angelo Buenavista
Eula Valdez as Amor Powers
Jean Garcia as Claudia Buenavista
Jestoni Alarcon as Diego Buenavista
Tonton Gutierrez as Eduardo Buenavista
Amy Austria as Lourdes Magbanua Buenavista
Patrick Garcia as Jonathan
Jodi Sta. Maria as Lia Buenavista
Jay Manalo as Caloy Macaspac
Nikka Valencia as Julieta Macaspac
Luis Alandy as David
Carlo Muñoz as Mark (as Carlo Munoz)
Eva Darren as Belen Macaspac
Cris Daluz as Isko Macaspac
Hazel Ann Mendozaas Flerida Macaspac
Perla Bautista as Chayong
Liza Lorena as Doña Benita Buenavista
Flora Gasser as Pacita
Monina Bagatsing as Rizza
Ernie Zarate as Mayor Enrique Zalameda
Minnie Aguilar as Coring
Richard Quan as Benjie Gatmaytan
Melissa Mendez as Minerva Capito
John Arcilla as Simon Barcial
Kristine Garcia as Elizabeth
Ilonah Jean as Cherry Barcial
Georgina Sandico as Grace Magpantay
Evangeline Pascualas Betty Mae Verseles
Connie Chua as Panying
Gigette Reyes as Debra
Roi Rodrigo as Miguel
Ian Galliguez as Chinee
Vanessa Del Biancoas Bea Bianca Bejerrano
Ramon Christopheras Cris
Ronnie Quizon as Badeo
Gino Paul Guzman as Rebel
Rey Kilay as Cookie
Mike Lloren as Albert
Toffee Calma as Arman/Eman
Jeffrey Hidalgo as Kenneth
Corrine Mendez as Shiela
Jane Zaleta as Julie Anne
Gem Ramos as Lia's Friend
Rodney Shattara as Lia's Friend
Paolo Contis as Vinny
Mico Palanca as Lia's Friend
Joed Serrano as Joed
Anita Linda as Puring San Juan
Diane De La Fuenteas Maria Amor de Jesus
Ricky Davao as Tony Banks
Raquel Villavicencioas Dr. Castillo
Erwin Tulfo as As himself (cameo)
Phoemela Baranda as Queenie Bermudez
James Cooper as James
Leni Rivera as Pinky Lee
Michelle Bayle as Felicity
Alfred Vargas as Dyno Zuryete
Ina Raymundo as Eidelwess Guttenberg
Jon Achaval as Enrico
Mark Acueza as Kit
Froilan Sales as Rufo Delgado
Maribeth Bichara as Charisma Ledesma
Lucita Soriano as Gaying
Bing Davao as Lorenzo dela Merced
Suzette Ranillo as Fatima dela Merced
Jiro Manio as Kokoy dela Merced
Onemig Bondoc as Errol Garcia
Juan Rodrigo as Fr. Crispin Arenas
Roderick Lindayagas Dolfo
- Director: Jasmine Ligacion
- Screenwriters: Tammy Bejerano, Theodore Boborol, Emman de la Cruz, Dado C. Lumibao and Michiko Yamamoto
- Producers: Crissy Baluyut, Ellen Nicolas Criste, Malou Movido and Malou N. Santos
- This is where the real romance bloomed between Kristine and Jericho. They later separated because Jericho fell in love with Cindy Kurleto while filming Ngayong Nandito Ka (Now that you're here), starring the three of them.
- Jericho is currently together with Heart Evangelista while Kristine is now with Diether Ocampo. Kristine and Diether were married last Sept 2005 but had not filed for marriage license. It is rumoured that Kristine filed for an annulment because of endorsement deals.
- This catapulted Eula Valez to stardom. She used to do supporting roles only and has truly made Amor Powers an icon. The role was first offered to Lorna Tolentino (who later made the equally good and successful Kay Tagal Kang Hinintay and subsequently to Snooky Serna. But at that time, Snooky was sticking to news anchoring at IBC 13.
- Claudia kills her real daughter supposedly Amors daughter.She doesnt find out until she learns that Angelo is not her real son and finds out from her dad and Amor.
- At the finale Lia dies of heart problem but her daughter Lia survives the birth.
- Claudia had Ynas dad kidnapped and killed.He got shot whiled Yna and Amor witnessed it.
- Jean Garcia, who has been working in Japan as a singer, has equally become popular because of her portrayal as "Madame Claudia".
- As with many Filipino shows, the series took its name from a famous song Pangako sa 'Yo. It was composed and recorded by Rey Valera, covered by Sharon Cuneta, and was sung by Vina Morales for the series as its theme song.
- On August 14, 2006, ABS-CBN revived the soap for a Rewind run as part of their "Primetime Bida" line-up but did not gain much ratings compared to its counterpart, Jewel in the Palace or Dae Jang Geum.
The drama's overall ratings in Mega Manila was 56.6% and nationwide was 61.8%.
The soap opera was shown (or currently showing) in:
Pangako sa ’Yo was a successful hit in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia, Namibia and Singapore. Its highest rating in Indonesia was 50%, beaten by the highest rating of Full House which was 50.5%. It is one of the highest rated imported dramas ever shown in Indonesia, beating Dae Jang Geum and Winter Sonata.
The soap had 480 episodes, each episode thirty minutes each. It was originally shown every weeknight during primetime, with its timeslot shifting within the 7PM-9PM schedule.
|ABS-CBN Primetime Bida|
|Katorse · TV Patrol World · May Bukas Pa · Lovers In Paris · Dahil May Isang Ikaw · Pinoy Big Brother: Double Up · SNN: Showbiz News Ngayon|