Paco Church

From Wikipilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The Paco Church
Also known as the Saint Pancratius Chapel a small domed church located inside the Paco Park in Paco, Manila. Named after Pancratius, a Christian martyr of Rome who is considered to be the patron of children, whose feast day is celebrated every 12th of May.

The church is of Romanesque architecture coordinated with its surroundings of what used to be the Paco Cemetery. The wholeness of the place with the park, the olden day cemetery and the Paco Church is reminiscent of the rich yet dark past of the country under colonial regimes. That is why the church is not only a favorite place for intimate weddings but as well for every sightseers who are looking for a place of solace in the midst of the city.

Contents

Brief History and Features

Paco Park Cemetery is one of the edifices built during the Spanish regime who's construction began in the late 1700s and was completed in 1820.

St. Pancratius (or Pancras) was said to be killed at age fourteen for embracing Christianity. Aside from him being considered as the patron of children, against false witness and headaches, the first church of England was also dedicated to him.

The chapel, which holds mass every Sunday, is under the care of the Venetian fathers who also manage Adamson University.

Paco Park Church can hold at least 100 people.

Gallery

See also

External links

Citation

Wikipinas.png

Original content from WikiPilipinas. under GNU Free Documentation License. See full disclaimer.