Philippine Overseas Employment Administration
|Administrator:||Rosalinda D. Baldoz|
Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA), is the Philippine government agency responsible for the promotion and monitoring of the employment of Filipino workers abroad.
Due to the increasing number of Filipinos working abroad, POEA is created in 1982 in accordance to Executive No. 797 to promote and monitor the overseas employment of Filipino workers. It was re-organized in 1987, through Executive No. 247, to act on additional functions. In 1995, Republic Act 8042 was created, and defined specific policy thrusts for POEA in the light of issues on the migrant workers rights, POEA regulatory functions, rules on illegal recruitment, selective deployment, reintegration program, basic assistance to OFWs and their families, use of information technology to facilitate dissemination of labor market information, outreach education program to enable potential OFWs to arrive at informed decisions, approach to synergize services to Filipino overseas, and reconstruction of systems for disposition of adjudication cases relating to overseas employment.
The main purpose of creating this agency is to respond to changing markets and economic condition, and to strengthen the workers protection and regulatory components of the overseas employment program.
In the virtue of the agency's mission to provide and ensure decent and productive employment for Overseas Filipino Workers, POEA actively supports generation of employment through licensed recruitment agencies and through government-to-government arrangement. It promises cultural-sensitive, customer-driven, and business-oriented advocacies to OFWs.
To better serve thousands and thousands of clients (overseas job applicants, seafarer-registrants, name hires, newly hired workers, overseas performing artists, relatives of migrant workers, victims of illegal recruiters, foreign employers and representatives of private recruitment agencies), every day, the agency maintained an organizational structure which has division of functions coordinated to each other:
I. POEA Governing Board
- A.Secretary of Labor and Employment - heads the Governing Board;
- B. POEA Administrator - as vice-chairman, oversees the daily operations of the agency and is supported by three deputy administrators:
- 1. The Deputy Administrator for Employment and Welfare - oversees the Pre-Employment Services Office and the Welfare and Employment Office.
- 2. The Deputy Administrator for Adjudication and Employment Regulation oversees the following offices:
- a. The Licensing and Regulation Office evaluates and recommends issuance of license to private applicants, monitors performance of licensed agencies and recommends renewal of licenses. It assists victims of illegal recruitment and at the same time conducts surveillance of suspected illegal recruiters.
- b. It also assists in the prosecution of cases in court and provides airport assistance services to workers prior to embarkation.
- c.The Adjudication Office handles adjudication of cases arising from violations of recruitment regulations; disciplinary cases, conducts legal research in aid of policy; and operates a system of watch listing not only of contract workers who are facing charges and complaints arising from violation of employment terms but also erring foreign employers and principals.
- 3. The Deputy Administrator for Management Services - oversees the policy research and program planning, information and education programs of the Administration, management of the information system and fiscal and administrative management.
- C. Representatives from the private, women, sea-based and land-based sectors - as members.