Our Lady of Remedies

From Wikipilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Patron-Saints of the Philippines
Remedies.jpg
Name: Our Lady of Remedies
Description: The Lady of Remedies was given by Blessed Virgin Mary
Shrine: The Lady of Remedies was in Malate Church Manila
Feast day: Third Sunday of November



Contents

Title

Our Lady of Remedies was the title given to our Blessed Virgin Mary by the devotees who attributed their fast recovery through her intercession.

Our Lady of Remedies also known as Nuestra Señora De Los Remedios was first installed in the Malate Church by the Augustinian priests in 1624, which attracted many devotees. Young Filipino mothers recovering from childbirth or with sick children would come to pray for fast recovery. The practice became habitual through the passing of years and the image came to be known as the Virgin of Remedies and Patroness of Mothers and Children. Devotess would come to the church and offer gifts and prayers in thanksgiving for the favors they received.

Origin of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios

Women who had just delivered their babies would come to the church to ask for blessings. The practice recollects the churching of Mary after giving birth to Jesus Christ in Bethlehem. In the Philippines, the favorite church to visit for this ceremony was the shrine of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios also called the Malate Church.

Veneration

The devotion to Our lady of Remedies is spreading widely in provinces like Pampanga where the image was cannonically crowned on September 8, 1957 at the Provintial Capitol of San Fernando by the Apostolic Nuncio Eglidio Vagnezzi. It was officially recognized as the Patroness of Pampanga by the virtue of miracles acquired under its title.

The devotion to Our Lady of Remedies originated from the bible. After the death of Christ, Mary is believed to be with St. John in Ephesus, a city in Western Asia Minor which is the focal center of the Mother Culture. Mary's gone off to ephesus was not established but the Council of Ephesus dogmatically proclaimed the Blessed Virgin Mary as the Mother of God.

The image of Our Lady belongs to the advocacy of the Blessed Virgin Mary as the Virgin of the Purification. The Holy Family conformed with the purification laws in Judea on two occasions: the Presentation of Jesus at the temple in Jerusalem forty days after his birth and an event in the childhood of Mary not talked about in the scripture but in the gospels.

Remedios de Malate

The statue of the De los Remedios enshrined in the Malate Church came from Spain in 1624 by Rev. Juan Guevarra, O.S.A. It has survived the Chinese invasion of 1662, the British occupation of 1786 and the earthquake of 1863 but unfortunately was destroyed together with the church during the World War II. Irish Columban Fathers ordered the making of a new statue.

The new statue was made as close as possible to the original. The image stands erect, plain and childlike, with no child in hand. Instead, the hands are extended forward as though in the act of taking an offering. It is wearing its own signature vestments with empire sleeves.

Malate Church's Social Programs

  • The Malate Balik-Dangal Drop-in Center
  • The Samahang Pinag-isa sa Parokya ng Malate
  • Landas Tungo sa Pag-Unlad-Grameen Livelihood Project
  • Kaisahan ng mga Magulang at Anak na may Kapansanan
  • The Remedios Youth Ministry

Feast Day

The feast day of Our Lady of Remedies is celebrated on the third Sunday of November. It is capped by a procession winding all over the streets of Malate, Manila. Programs are hosted by the Daughters of Mary Immaculate and the Legion of Mary Praesidia.

Remedios de Pampanga

It is believed that the devotion to Our Lady of Remedies in Malate, Manila and Pampanga have grown within the same period during the Spanish era.

There are two images of De los Remedios in Pampanga. The older but smaller image is found in the Parish of San Roque, while the taller image is installed at the main altar of the Chancery Chapel of San Fernando.

The Baliti image is centuries old, although the exact age is unknown. It is slender, doll-like, and over a foot tall. It is the patroness of the Crusade of Penance and Charity, a private association of the Damas y Caballeros de la Caridad, founded in February 1852. Bishop Cesar Ma. Guerrero appointed Fr. Diosdado Victorio to search for an image that would fit the advocacy of their organization. The statue of Our Lady of Remedies was chosen to accompany the Crusade on its programs. Numerous favors and blessings poured the Crusade and the whole of Pampanga, even the non-believers received graces.

Reference

  • Barcelona, Mary Anne. Ynang Maria: A Celebration of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Philippines. Edited by Consuelo B. Estepa, Ph.D. Pasig City: Anvil Publishing, Inc, 2004.

Citation

Wikipinas.png

Original content from WikiPilipinas. under GNU Free Documentation License. See full disclaimer.