New Bilibid Prison
The New Bilibid Prison (NBP) is one of seven major facilities handled by the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor), an agency under the Department of Justice. Bilibid, as it is more popularly referred to, is located in Muntinlupa City. It is one of the main stations for male offenders from different parts of the Philippines.
The Old Bilibid Prison, built in Manila in 1847, was the primary correctional facility in the country before 1900. It was formally opened through a Spanish Royal Decree in 1865. When the Old Bilibid was moved from Manila to Muntinlupa in 1936, it was "renamed" the New Bilibid Prison.
The other 6 facilities under BuCor are the following:
- The Correctional Institution for Women (CIW) in Mandaluyong City;
- Iwahig Prison and Penal Farm in Puerto Princesa City, Palawan;
- Sablayan Prison and Penal Farm in Occidental Mindoro;
- San Ramon Prison and Penal Farm in Zamboanga City;
- Leyte Regional Prison in Abuyog, Leyte; and
- Davao Prison and Penal Farm in Panabo, Davao
- Bureau of Corrections – Department of Justice Website
- Bureau of Corrections – Philippine Government Website
- New Bilibid Prison - Muntinlupa City Website