New Bataan, Compostela Valley
- OFFICIAL NAME : Municipality of New Bataan
- DATE CREATED : June 18, 1968
- ENABLING LAW : Republic Act 4756
- INCOME CLASS : 1st Class Municipality (as of 2005)
- ANNUAL LOCAL INCOME : P5,761,257.97(2005)
- INTERNAL REVENUE ALLOTMENT: P52,636,316(2005)
- DIS. FROM THE MUN. OF COMPOSTELA: 16 kms.
- DIS. FROM CAPITAL TOWN (NABUNTURAN): 40 kms.
- DIS. FROM TAGUM CITY: 75 kms.
- TOTAL LAND AREA : 55,315 has.
- TOTAL NO. OF BARANGAYS : 16
- TOTAL NO. OF PUROKS : 204
- TOTAL NO. OF HOUSEHOLD : 9,050
- TOTAL NO. OF POPULATION : 43,940
- TOTAL NO. OF MALE POPULATION: 22,579
- TOTAL NO. OF FEMALE POPULATION: 21,361
- ARAW CELEBRATION: Every 18th of June
- FOUNDER’S DAY/FESTIVAL: Every 10th of August
- FESTIVAL NAME : Sal’lupongan
- TOWN FIESTA CELEBRATION: Every 13th of June
- PATRON SAINT : San Antonio de Padua
- OFFICIAL PARISH NAME : San Antonio de Padua Parish
- BIRTH RATE (CRUDE) : 28.82
- DEATH RATE (CRUDE) : 4.12
- FOREST : 33,727.7261 has.
- AGRO-FOREST : 2,158.6502 has.
- AGRICULTURAL : 692.7559 has.
- MINING : 6,210.401 has.
- RESIDENTIAL : 11.843 has.
- BRUSH LAND AREA : 2,158.6502 has.
- COMMERCIAL : 11.5962 has.
- ROAD : 62.06395 has.
- INSTITUTIONAL : 18.91645 has.
- SPECIAL USE : 3.1605 has.
- INDUSTRIAL : 0.3828 has.
- RIVER BED/CHANNEL : 38.3858 has.
ROAD NETWORK (within the LGU territory)
- NATIONAL ROAD : 35.75 km.
- PROVINCIAL ROAD : 40.45 km.
- MUNICIPAL ROAD : 102.50 km.
<From the Municipal Library and Information Center>
New Bataan is one of the abundant district 1 municipalities of Compostela Valley. It has a total land area of 688.6 sq. km (55,315 has.) and situated north and east of Davao Oriental province; south of Municipality of Compostela and west of Municipality of Maragusan.
New Batan is surrounded with mountain ranges that keeps the place away from coming typhoons. The municipality is composed of moe than 50% of forest that has been the sources of living for some people live in there. The barangays of New Bataan that most likely covered with forest are Andap, Tandawan, Camanlangan, Manurigao etc. Manurigao is the most remote among the barangay because of the absence of a better road and transportation.
The municipality is also the home of rivers, one of its is the Mayo river that flows from the mountain of Manurigao that goes and combines with the Agusan river. The Ma-a river is also one of the biggest, it flows from the eastern part of the area.
In the primitive years, the place known as New Bataan was once serene and isolated barrio called Cabinuangan. It was so named because of the presence of the tall and stately trees called Binuang.
In the early days of settlement a tribal leader Leon Magdagasang who people considered as founder governed the place. The other leaders believed to have a hand in its early existence were the Sacaons, Cabuñas, and Mapunlays. They were known as the Matikadongs, a counsel where disputes were settled.
When the clamor of literacy has come of age, a Mr. Tumpalan took the challenge came to the place and became the first educator. Mr. Patricio Corotan, his life was dedicated followed him to its pursuit and as proof of his dedication when he retired from service he settled at Bantakan.
Barrio Bantakan, which got its name from the word “bantak” or fishing trap made of bamboo used by the natives, was once considered t5he seat of municipal government of the proposed municipality.
Here, the pioneers were the Mateos, Mapunlays, Manonos, Soros and Dodongs. Aside from the mandayas, migrants from other places of the archipelago came in flocks and eventually settled in place.
New Bataan is politically subdivided into 16 barangays.
- Cabinuangan (Pob.)
- San Roque
New Bataan main land and the center of trade is barangay Cabinuangan. Indeed, this is the place where people from other barangays go when they want to buy their needs. This is also the arena where everyone gather and meet for a certain celebration and competition.
The biggest barangay of New Bataan in terms of land area is barangay Andap where the well-known Bamboo inland resort placed. It is just 15-30 minutes drive from Cabinuangan with a fare of 20 pesos per head. Andap is well-known for its cold surroundings. This is greatly due to its mountainous sarea. Cagan is a barrio of Andap where we can find the Compostela Valley highest peak that rank 3rd in Mindanao and 13th in the philippines - the Mt. Pandadagsaan or best known as White Peak.
New Bataan is well-known because of its natural wonders. It is the place where tourists will experience great adventure together with the nature and their love ones.
One of its proud natural wonders is the famous white peak (2,670 ft.), the highest in Compostela Valley Province and rank 3rd in Mindanao and 13th in the country. The merits of the mountain are well known among mountaineers in Southern Mindanao, but it has yet to be discovered by Luzon-based hikers. What sets it apart is the white, almost sparkling, appearance of the mountain face as contrasted to the forests surrounding it.
The trails are a mix of mossy forest and steep grassy slopes - parts of which required the assistance of built-in ropes. Peak 1 is forested, while Peak 2 offers a panorama of Compostela Valley and the Davao provinces, as well as a full profile of Mt. Apo, the highest mountain in the Philippines. Visible also is Mt. Candalaga, another high mountain in Compostela Valley.
The trekking time to reach the summit can be as short as 9-10 hours, but the itinerary below follows a more relaxed pace, based on the latest annual climb held on March 2008. Small groups may opt to follow a 2-day itinerary plus a Day 0 for travel. from http://www.pinoymountaineer.com/2008/08/white-peak-mt-pandadagsaan-2670.html
How to get there?
At the Ecoland Bus Terminal in Davao City, take a metro shuttle bus to New Bataan, the fare is 173 Php for airconditioned and 140 Php otherwise.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- 2000 Philippine Census Information
bcl:New Bataan, Compostela Valley ceb:New Bataan, Compostela Valley de:New Bataan ilo:New Bataan, Tanap ti Compostela it:New Bataan pam:New Bataan, Compostela Valley nl:New Bataan tl:New Bataan, Compostela Valley vi:New Bataan war:New Bataan, Compostela Valley