Metro Manila Telephone Directory
The National Capital Region was created through executive order by President Marcos in 1975. Metro Manila sprawls across 636 square kilometers. The estimated population is 11.5 million. NCR is the social, political, cultural, religious, industrial, and commercial center of the Philippines.
Metro Manila is composed of 11 cities:
- Quezon City
- Las Piñas
And 6 towns:
- San Juan
PLDT METRO MANILA TELEPHONE DIRECTORY HIGHLIGHTS
- 1957: The issue of Greater Manila Telephone Directory as a two-column book single-volume bound telephone directory with 105 white pages and 174 yellow pages and the issue date is March.
- 1963: The conversion from 2 column to a 4-column book directory.
- 1976: The combined-volume bound white and yellow pages directories are split into separate White Pages® and Yellow Pages® directories as:
- White Pages - Alphabetical Listings (A) - Alphabetical telephone directory contains the listings of government (national and local), business and residential subscribers.
- Yellow Pages - Buyers Guide (B) - Products and services for homes and business
- Yellow Pages - Commercial and Industrial (C) - Directory of manufacturers, wholesalers, distributors & business services.
The directory title was renamed as Metro Manila Telephone Directory and transfer of issue date from March to June, 1976 and introduced on the cover of the telephone directory is photographs (people, places and events).
- 1986: The White Pages® and Yellow Pages® directories as White Pages - Alphabetical Listings (A), Yellow Pages - Buyers Guide (B) and Yellow Pages - Commercial and Industrial (C) mergered to the Yellow Pages - Buyers Guide (B) single-volume bound directory.
- 1987: Painting is introduced in the cover of the telephone directory.
- 1994: Introduction of the 5-column book telephone directory.
- 1995: The Yellow Pages Buyers Guide replacing the single-volume bound directory to a marketed-segmented directory as:
- Yellow Pages - Household & Business (HB)
- Yellow Pages - Commercial & Industrial (CI)
- 1996: The White Pages Alphabetical Listings directory replacing the single-volume bound directory to a marketed-segmented directory as
- White Pages - Government and Business Listings
- White Pages - Residential Listings
Directory Cover Visual Art National Competition
PLDT and GTEDPC wish to encourage young students to pursue their art more seriously and hone their craft to perfection. With the technical support of the Art Association of the Philippines, both companies jointly sponsored the 2009-2010 PLDT-GTEDPC Telephone Directory Cover 23rd Visual Art National Competition among students of all Schools of Fine Arts in the Philippines. The competition started in 1986 and has won the support and acclaim of the Schools of Fine Arts and the art community, as well.
This year’s competition theme is "Colors of Lifestyle, Through Fitness and Fashion for the Filipinos".
The Inquirer Lifestyle Series Fitness.Fashion is the maiden runway project of HSBC, Samsung and Inquirer Lifestyle. The event was held on July 31, 2008 at the Rigodon Ballroom of the Peninsula Manila in Makati City. Both PLDT and GTEDPC are glad that all directories to be issued during the year will carry the theme on their covers through the winning artworks of our talented students.
Forty five students, representing fifteen schools of Fine Arts all over the country participated in the National Competition. Thirty three contestants came from Metro Manila schools and twelve from provincial schools. The Grand Prize Awardee is the cover of the Metro Manila Telephone Directory. Five major winners were selected from among the entries; three other art pieces were chosen honorable mentions and were given plaques of honor. All forty five contestants received P3,500.00 each and a certificate of participation.
Trophies and plaques were designed and executed by National Artist for Sculpture, Napoleon V. Abueva.
Winners were announced during the Awarding Ceremonies on February 11, 2009 at the Ayala Museum in Makati City. All entries were displayed from February 11–28, 2009 in the same venue. Mrs. Lizette B. Cojuangco, wife of Mr. Miguel O. Cojuangco, Senior VP for Customer Services, PLDT was the guest of honor during the Opening Ceremonies.
Theme and Cover Pictures
- 1996: no theme
- 1997: Sama-Sama Sa Pagdiwang ng Kalayaan
- 1999: Transformation of Time Towards a Bountiful Life
- 2000: Pagdiriwang
- 2001: "Ang Ilog Pasig Noon, Ay Siya Na Muli Ngayon" 29" x 29", oil/acrylic entry of Ronnie T. Tres Reyes of the University of the East-Kalookan.
- 2002: "I.T. An opening To A New World", 24" x 25", Tempera Watercolor entry of Jaime B. Gubaton
- 2007: Gagamaba Noon, Video Game Noon
- 2008: Sentro ng Kalakalan
- 2009: Bantayog
- 2010: Ika-25 ng Febrero, 1986