Mark Bautista (born August 10, 1983) is a Filipino singer, actor and commercial model. He was recognized as a contestant in a talent search, the Philippine franchise of UK's Star for A Night hosted by Regine Velasquez in IBC 13. Notwithstanding, finishing second to Sarah Geronimo, he gained his own success as a singer and actor, known as Pop Heartthrob. He has recorded albums and gained a starring role in a movie, lead roles in soaps and drama specials, TV hosting stints and product endorsements.
Early life and family
Mark grew up in Cagayan De Oro City with his parents Darni & Susan Bautista, his older brother and sister, and 2 younger brothers.
As a child, Mark was not always the total entertainer that he is right now. He was said to be very shy, despite the fact that he is blessed with a beautiful voice and his killer looks. Mark’s confidence began growing once he started joining different oratorical contests. He even bagged the first prize in a national oratorical competition.
Mark was determined to help his family when his father was forced to stop working because of his physical condition. Mark gave his prize money from different oratorical contests he won and from some of his singing stints to help their financial status. He started singing publicly when he was in high school. To overcome his stage fright he would put a coin in his shoes to channel all the nervousness and negative energy to the coin, thus leaving his confidence and showmanship. He joined a boy band called Voizemale. They performed at the Warehouse, a bar in CDO. The group performed songs from Earth, Wind & Fire to current hits at that time like Backstreet Boys, etc.
Bautista was persuaded to audition for a singing contest in ABS-CBN’s MTB. Unfortunately, it wasn’t his time to be discovered yet. He continued polishing his craft by singing with his group.
Star, Not Only For A Night
Another opportunity knocked on Mark’s door. It was an audition for a singing contest called Star For A Night hosted by Regine Velasquez. The auditions were being held in Cebu. Money was an issue at that time so Mark thought he was not going to miss this big opportunity. Mommy Susan provided Mark with money to go to Cebu as a birthday gift. To go further in the competition, Mark had to go to Manila and finish the remaining levels of the audition process. He hitched in a cargo ship to be able to reach Manila in time for the auditions. As Mark recalls, "A few days after the audition, we were supposed to go back to the province on the same cargo ship we took coming here, when Viva called me," recalls Mark. "I thought they were going to tell me that I passed the auditions, but instead they asked if I was interested in joining a boyband."
He passed all three levels of the Star For A Night auditions and made it to the grand finals. "I can never forget that experience. That, plus the exposure, was enough to make me happy. I got my 15 minutes of fame, then I found out that Viva had other plans for me. Kaya malaki talaga ang pasasalamat ko sa 'Star For A Night'."
His big screen debut was in "Annie B.", as the suitor of Sarah Geronimo. He had a cameo appearance in "Masikip Sa Dibdib" as himself singing his song "Kapag Ako'y Kailangan". In his second year in the business, Mark has already starred in his own feature film "Lastikman" with leading lady Sarah Geronimo. Lastikman was Viva Film's entry to the 2004 Metro Manila Film Festival.
On television, Mark was one of Sarah's leading men in the teleserye "Sarah The Teen Princess". Mark has also appeared in two episodes of Maalaala Mo Kaya ("Barya" & "Panyo"). "Barya" was a story of his life on which he portrayed himself while "Panyo" was a story about a man who was torn between twins (Jaboom Twins). He starred for a third episode "Radyo" with Gloria Diaz, Ms. Universe '69. Mark also appeared in a fantaserye, "Kampanerang Kuba". He played the role of Repus Akach, a hunchback who was the right hand of the King.
2004 - Present
As of now, Mark is not only one of the hottest singing sensations but he is also becoming an in-demand multimedia star. He is a mainstay in ASAP 05; he also hosted the Search For The Star In A Million (season 1 and season 2) with his fellow Champions. He has endorsements, concerts, TV shows, and movies.
His CD-Lite Dream On was released last September 2005, the carrier single of that CD scored Mark his first #1 hit. I Need You was in the MYX Daily Top 10 for two months (top 5 for more than a month and the top spot 5 times) competing neck-and-neck with Hale and Cueshe. Its video features young actress Anne Curtis. Mark also took his image to a different level in this release, the photo shoot for Dream On was a "revealing" one compared to his debut album. Due to the success of the CD-lite, VIVA Records has released a full album last January 2006 which eventually turned gold. The follow-up single "You Win The Game" also was a big hit in the music charts. In its steaming video was FHM cover girl, Vanna Garcia, a fellow Viva artist. The third single to watch out for is "And By Now" which has already became #1 in the PEx charts.
|Star For A Night (compilation)||2003||Gold|
|A VIVA Popstars Christmas (compilation)||2003|
|Dream On (CD Lite)||2005|
|Dream On (Expanded)||2006||Gold|
- From Mark Bautista
- From Dream On (CD Lite)
- From Star For A Night
- "Ngayon At Kailanman"
- From A VIVA Popstars Christmas
- "O Holy Night"
- "Christmas Won't Be The Same Without You" (duet with Sarah Geronimo)
- "A Funky Christmas Medley" (VIVA Popstars)
- From Lagi Kitang Mamahalin
- "Awit ng Pabo At Loro" (duet with Sarah Geronimo)
- From Night Of The Champions 2004 US Tour Edition
- "Ngayon At Kailanman"
- "Broken Vow" (duet with Sarah Geronimo)
- "How Did You Know"
- From Sweet Sixteen (Sarah Geronimo)
- "Kay Gandang Umaga" (duet with Sarah Geronimo)
- From The Other Side (CD/DVD) (Sarah Geronimo)
- "I Finally Found Someone" (duet with Mark Bautista)
- "I Need You" (available on the DVD only)
- From I Care (Rachelle Ann Go)
- Window Of My Heart (duet with Rachelle Ann Go)
- Annie B. (2004) as Mark
- Masikip Sa Dibdib (cameo) (2004) as himself
- Lastikman (Unang Banat) (2004) as Adrian/ Lastikman
- Star For A Night (2003)
- Search For A Star (2003) as segment host
- Sarah, The Teen Princess (2004) as Baste/ O'neal
- Maalaala Mo Kaya - "Barya" (2004) as himself
- Wansapanataym - "Sayaw Ni Kikay" (2005) as Hattata
- Maalaala Mo Kaya - "Panyo" (2005) as Louie
- Search For The Star In A Million Season 1 (2005) as host
- Search For The Star In A Million Season 2 (2005-present) as host
- ASAP Mania/ ASAP 05 (2004-present) as host/performer
- Kampanerang Kuba (2005) as Repus Akach
- Maalaala Mo Kaya - "Radyo" (2006) as Roger
- Your Song - "You Win The Game" (2006) as song interpreter
- Your Song - "Forever's Not Enough" (2006) as Jessie Hipolito
- Sana Maulit Muli - (2007) as Francis
- Pop Heartthrob - Aliw Theater - March 24, 2006
- Skechers Shoes, Skechers Time
- Talk and Text
- Star For A Night - Nestlé Star Simula Award - Most Refreshing Talent (2003)
- Guillermo Mendoza Foundation - Most Promising Male Singer (2004)
- National Consumer Awards - Best Male Entertainer (2005)
- Rotary Club International (2006)
- 1st MYX Music Awards - Fave Remake - "I Need You" (2006)
- Yes Magazine's Most Fashionable Male Star (2006)