Manila Doctors Hospital
From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
The Manila Doctors Hosptial (Abbreviation: MGH) is one of the finest private medical hospitals in the Philippines. It has an authorized 300 bed-capacity and high-quality facilities and services. With its competent and well-trained doctors, surgeons, nurses and staff, the MDH continues to provide professional medical support and assistance.
It was in 1956 that the Manila Doctors Hospital operations. Originally, MDH is owned and led by the Manila Medical Services, Inc. (MMSI),. Back in 1953, it the MMSI who was incorporated by 14 physicians as a preliminary in establishing MDH in United Nations Avenue, Ermita, Manila. Then, in 1979, the Metrobank Foundation, Inc. (MBFI) became the majority stockholder of MMSI. The MDH was also chosen by the MMSI to be their primary corporate social responsibility project in health.
The fourteen (14) founders of MDH and original incorporators of Manila Medical Services, Inc. (MMSI) are:
- DR. MARIANO M. ALIMURUNG - Cardiology
- DR. GONZALO F. AUSTRIA - Internal Medicine
- DR. BENJAMIN BARRERA - Pathology
- DR. JANUARIO ESTRADA, SR. - General Surgery
- DR. JOSE Y. FORES - General Surgery
- DR. TIERRY F. GARCIA - Otolaryngology
- DR. ROMEO H. GUSTILO - Neurosurgery
- DR. SEVERINO P. LOPEZ - Ophthalmology
- DR. CONSTANTINO P. MANAHAN - Obstetrics and Gynecology
- DR. CARLOS MARQUEZ - Radiology
- DR. FLORENCIO QUINTOS - Pediatrics
- DR. CARLOS SEVILLA - EENT
- DR. AMBROSIO F. TANGCO - General and Orthopedic Surgery
- DR. JOSE R. VILLANUEVA - Obstetrics and Gynecology
 Infrastructure and Facilities
The Manila Doctors Hospitals started with one five-storey building. In 1984, an eight-storey center for Medical Arts was built to provide more clinics for doctors and patients. Five year later, a 12-floor Norberto Ty Medical Tower was constructed to house more patient rooms and spacious areas for support services.
Since 2003, major renovations and reconstructions are done to further improve MDH's services.Among these established amenities include the Metro Bank Hall at the Penthouse of Norberto Ty Medical Tower, the 5-story Ancillary Services Center in 2004in the Industrial Medical Services Department, Medical Records, Finance Department, Dormitory and Chapel. The most recent constructions are the five-storey Doña Salustiña Medical Tower built last December 8, 2005.
In December, 2005, the Manila Doctors Hospital became the first hospital in Manila to be ISO 9001:2000 certified. It continued to be accredited by the Department of Health and PhilHealth.
 Training and Services
Today, the Manila Doctors Hospital has 10 medical accredited medical specialty residency and fellowship programs namely:
- Residencies in Internal Medicine
- General Surgery
- Family and Community Medicine
- Radiology and fellowships in
 At Present
The medical directors and administrators of MDH are:
- DR. CONSTANTINO P. MANAHAN
- DR. JOSE R. VILLANUEVA
- DR. AMBROSIO F. TANGCO
- DR. DANTE D. MORALES - 1995–PRESENT
- SR. LA CROIX, SPC
- SR. MARIE MADELEINE DENOGA, SPC
- SR. HELEN OF THE CROSS, SPC
- SR. JAMES TAGUINOD, SPC
- SR. FIDELES DE MARIE, SPC
- SR. MARIE PAULINE, SPC
- SR. MARIE ROSAMOND, SPC
- SR. PHILIP GALENO, SPC
- DR. REX MENDOZA - 2001–PRESENT
- DR. GRACIA TIONG
- MS. RITA WANNINGER
- ATTY. PILAR ALMIRA - 2006–PRESENT
 Corporate Social Responsibility Unit
 Hospital Services
There are 8 departments involved in the Hospital Services of the Manila Doctors Hospital.
- Department of Internal Medicine
- Department of Pediatrics
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Department of Surgery
- Department of Family and Community Medicine
- Department of Otorhinolargngology (ENT)
- Department of Orthopedic
These departments are the ones responsible for implementing the social service program of the hospital.
 Medical and Surgical Missions
 Gift of Vision
It is a surgical mission that aims to restore the vision of 80 patients who are blinded by cataract through surgical intervention.
 Cleft Lip and Palate Program
This program provides quality surgery to indigent cleft lip and palate patients. The patients they accomodate are commonly infants with the hope that by preventing the disability at a young age, future complications may be avoided.
 Thyroidectomy (Goiter) Operation
This program caters to indigent patients who have different thyroid conditions. The hospital provide free diagnostic and surgical services.
 Gynecological Operation
This program started in 1999. It caters to indigent women who are suffering from gynecological problems.
 Outreach Missions
 Community Health Program
In cooperation with the Metrobank Foundation, Inc., the Manila Doctors Hospital and the Manila Doctors College launched the Sama-Sama sa Malusog na Barangay program. It aims to provide primary health care to underprivileged communities as well as give the proper community exposure to medical interns.
 School Health Program
This program aims to provide a medium of training and immersion among doctors as part of their community; to to train volunteers and other school health workers to become self-sufficient health providers; and to promote a child-friendly school environment through delivery of health services.
- Manila Doctors Hospital "History of Manila Doctors Hospital", (accessed on April 16, 2008)
- open PR"Manila Doctors Hospital Opens New Aesthetic Surgery Center", (April 04, 2008), (accessed on April 16, 2008)
- Manila Doctors Hospital. Profile. League of Corporate Foundations
 External Link