Manila Central University
Manila Central University
|Motto||In Scientia Solidaritas|
|President||Dr. Aristotle T. Malabanan (incumbent)|
|Staff||400 (as of March 2009)|
4,620 (A.Y. 2008 - 2009, second semester)
|Undergraduates||4,570 (A.Y. 2008 - 2009, second semester)|
50 (A.Y. 2008 - 2009, second semester)
|Location||Caloocan City, Metro Manila, Philippines|
Dalit Ng MCU (The MCU Hymn)
|Colors||Purple █ and gold █|
|Nickname||MCU Tigers (former)|
The Manila Central University is a private, non-sectarian, non-stock educational institution situated in EDSA, Caloocan City, Philippines. The University offers courses on Kindergarten, Elementary, Highschool and College.
- Medical Technology
- Physical Therapy
- Business Administration (Management, Marketing and Accountancy)
- Computer Studies (Computer Science, Information Technology) ==
Manila Central University had a very humble beginning. In 1903, on the request of several students from the University of Santo Tomas and other individuals, Dr. Alejandro Albert organized a private review class.
This review class developed into the Escuela de Farmacia del Liceo de Manila in 1904, with Dr. Alejandro Albert, Alfredo L. Guerrero, Antonio C. Llamas, Feliciano Paterno and Filemon Tanchoco, and all faculty members of the institution, as incorporators. This was the first educational institution of its kind established and managed by Filipinos. Its success demonstrated the undoubted capacity and ability of the Filipinos managing their own affairs in the educational field, especially then, when at that time of its initial organization it was barely 4 years after the establishment of the Philippine Educational System.
The Manila College of Pharmacy became one of the leading institutions of higher learning of its kind. It produced many prominent pharmacists. Stable and secure in its position, the college expanded in number in 1929. Its Board of Trustees, answering a long felt need for the training of the youth for dental services, opened the College of Dentistry. Manila College of Pharmacy became then the Manila College of Pharmacy and Dentistry of pre-war time.
Opened and dedicated to gave the best education for our youth, the College maintained its leading position in the educational field. Unfortunately, the war closed its portals in 1941.
During the Japanese occupation, the enemy systematically looted its extensive facilities, laboratory, equipment, museum, etc. and during the liberation period, it was further looted of everything but the shell of its two buildings.
After the liberation of the Philippines, the Board of Trustees reorganized the College into Manila Central College.
In addition to Pharmacy and Dentistry, the reorganized institution offered courses in Liberal Arts, Education, Commerce and Business Administration and Post Graduate courses in Pharmacy. And finally in 1947, the College of Medicine was added. In 1948, it became the Manila Central University after having opened the College of Nursing and Graduate School and more than sufficiently meeting the requirements for a university.
In 1949, the MCU inaugurated its 10-hectare campus in Caloocan City. Since then, additional school buildings and service facilities have been constructed yearly in the 1960s. The College of Optometry, Midwifery and High School and Kindergarten classes were also opened. Expansion projects and development program for the whole university and individual colleges were continuously drawn to meet the educational demands and the objectives of the University.
The MCU Logo
A private review class for pharmacy students was institutionalized as the Escuela de Farmacia del Liceo de Manila, the first school of Pharmacy run by Filipinos, in 1904 with Dr. Alexander Albert as Founder and Director. Classes are conducted in the building later occupied by Avenue Theater in Rizal Avenue, Manila. Dr. Albert held the school directorship until 1908.
The Escuela produced its first batch of graduates – among them Filomena Francisco Guerrero and Matilde Arquiza Arroyo, the first Filipina Pharmacists.
Filemon D. Tanchoco (B.S. Pharmacy, 1910) placed second in the Pharmacy Board Exams.
With a steady increase in enrollment, the Escuela was transformed into Manila College of Pharmacy with Alfredo Guerrero, Antonio C. Llamas, Feliciano Paterno, and Atty. Filemon D. Tanchoco, as the Filemon D. Tanchoco, as incorporators. The school was authorized to confer post graduate and doctoral degrees in Pharmacy. The College was housed in a new building at the corner of Oroquieta and Zurbaran in Manila. With Dr. Leon Ma. Guerrero appointed as the country’s representative to the Panama Pacific Exposition, Dr. Albert became school director.
Francisco Casas (B.S. Pharmacy, 1917) placed third in the Pharmacy Board Exams.
The Pharmacy profession reached new heights around 1000 registered drugstores, boticas, and farmacias,in the country, 229 of them in Manila and suburbs. Many prominent pharmacies were graduates of the MCP.
In a landmark case that put the integrity of the nascent pharmacy industry on the line, Atty. Filemon D. Tanchoco took the cudgels for the Filipino Pharmacist. He defended a group of pharmacists accused by the American government of selling adulterated preparations-based on the U.S. Pharmacopea and the National Formulary-and of violating the Drug Law. Shortly thereafter, the Philippine Pharmaceutical Association was established.
Construction began on a new building at the corner of Mayhaligue and Felix Huertas in Manila.
The College of Dentistry was founded in response to a long felt need for the training of the youth for dental services. The institution became the Manila College of Pharmacy and Dentistry. Dr. Genaro Felizardo, who organized the college, served as acting head of college until appointment of Dr. Jose Francisco as the first dean. The opening of the College of Dentistry was the first step in the founders’ program of expansion and in affording the youth as institution devoted solely to the teaching and development of science courses.
The college started developing competencies in mineral analysis with the creation of the mineral assaying department.
Bella P. Cruz –Nicolas (B.S. Pharmacy) placed first in the Pharmacy Board Exams.
The College began offering secondary education through Albert High School. The College started making laundry soap and later produces medicated soap.
The College closed its doors as the Second World War breakes out. Japanese forces occupied its buildings and systematically looted its extensive facilities, laboratory, equipment, museum, among others, leaving only the shell of its two buildings.
The demise of two founders and the incapacitation of two others leave Atty. Tanchoco with the awesome task of reviving the College. Mustering their savings and energy, he and his wife Purificacion Gallego-Tanchoco, reopened the school with a new wing- the College of Liberal Arts. Classes started with tables and chairs made of bamboo and pinewood from crates. With Dr. Alfredo Guerrero as Dean, the school was renamed the Manila College of Pharmacy and Liberal Arts.
Further expansion followed with the setting up of the College of Education, the Normal Department and the Elementary Department. The Board of Trustees reorganized the College into the Manila Central Colleges with Atty. Filemon Tanchoco as Chairman and Dr. Alfredo L. Guerrero as the Dean of the College of Pharmacy. The Liberal Arts and Education colleges and the Normal Department were grouped under the Allied Colleges. Acting Dean Magdaleno Arellano was succeeded by Dr. Eugenia Reus-Beucler, an alumna, a year later.
Responding to an appeal from students and community to continue operating the Afable College of Medicine and Surgery after the death of its founder, the MCC acquired its facilities. Thus born the MCC’s College of Medicine, with Dr. Alfredo Guerrero as the first Dean. The College of Nursing was also opened after the Bureau of Private Schools granted MCC the permit to operate the first year of a four- year course. Permit to operate subsequent years of the course were secured after. The Graduate School in Business Administration was also established, the only of its kind focusing on scientific management, to offer the degrees of Master in Business Administration and later, Master in Public Administration. Dr. Leon Ma. Gonzales is the first Dean.
Now with a diversity of approved courses, the MCC was granted the authority to become a bona fide university. Henceforth the institution was known as the Manila Central University. Atty. Tanchoco Is the first MCU President.
MCU acquired the Novitiate of San Jose in Caloocan with the end in view of eventually relocating the entire university there. The former novitiate building was renovated to the house of College of Medicine. The 10-hectare campus was inaugurated in the same year. Not too long afterwards, the MCU Hospital, Nurses’ Home, gymnasium and auditorium were constructed there as well. Germanico Carreon (MCU College of Dentistry, 194_) topped the June Dental Board Exams, while Rufino Achacoso (MCU College of Dentistry, 1948) placed fifth, establishing a tradition of excellence for the MCU College of Dentistry. MCU conferred the honorary degree of Doctor of Pedagogy on Dr. Luther B. Bewley, Adviser on Education Matters of the Office of the President.
Nelda Delgado (BS Pharmacy,1950) placed second in the Pharmacy Board Exams
The College of Nursing was authorized to offer full four- year nursing course
The Graduate Pharmacy building was erected. It housed the Industrial Pharmacy and Research Laboratory, the only one of its kind in the Far East. MCU conferred the degree of Doctor of Pharmacy honoris causa to Primo Arambulo.
MCU’s Industrial Pharmacy and Research Laboratory was featured on the cover and editorial of the July 1954 issue of the American Journal of Pharmacy as well as in the August 1954 issue of the Pharmacy International. President Ramon Magsaysay received the degree of Doctor of Sciences in Public Health, honoris causa.
The School of Midwifery was established.
Conrado Atendido (MCU College of Dentistry, 1956) placed 6th in June Dental Board Exams.
MCU College of Dentistry Class 1957 graduates Felicitas Medina and Ma. Concepcion Llanes placed 4th (June) and 7th (December), respectively, in the Dental Board Exams.
Edna Del Rosario (MCU College of Dentistry,1958) placed 4th in June Dental Board Exams.
The College of Optometry was established, opening a new avenue of excellence in health science-based education.
The MCU Medical Alumni Association was formed to foster fellowship and to promote the school spirit and camaraderie among the University’s medical graduates. Dr. Manuel S. Dijamco served as first MCUMAA president.
Far and wide, the entire MCU family mourned the passing of the patriarch, Atty. Filemon D. Tanchoco.
Purificacion Gallego-Tanchoco became MCU’s second president. In line with the trends of the time, MCU started offering BS Medical Technology as a subsidiary to the College of Pharmacy
The Graduate Education Division offered masteral studies in Education. Luningning Tanchoco-Estanislao assumed post as Administrator of MCU Hospital.
Dr. Filemon G. Tanchoco Jr., MCU Executive Vice President and Comptroller, organized the Project Lingap sa Nayon (LINA) of the World University Service, Philippines. This MCU project became the model for the government’s Youth Civil Action Program (YCAP).
The MCU Hospital and the College of Medicine were converted into the Filemon Dionisio Tanchoco Medical Foundation (FDTMF).
The Out-patient Department and Emergency as well as the medical auditorium and an audiovisual room were added to the hospital. MCU’s Freddie Cabanilla (College of Medicine, 1974) landed among the Medical Board Exam topnotchers.
MCU College of Medicine Class 1975 graduates Lemuel Medina, Henry Go and Joaquin Guzon made it among the topnotchers of the Medical Board Exams. MCU Awarded the degree of Doctor of Humanities, honoris causa to Finance Secretary Cesar Virata
Malania Cano (MCU College of Dentistry, 1976) placed 10th in December Dental Board Exams, as Eduardo Castor and Roy Amador of the MCU College of Medicine Class 1976 joined the ranks of Medical Board Exam topnotchers.
Dr. Filemon G. Tanchoco, Jr. initiated the contest on the Interdepartmental Case Report and Scientific Paper presentations. During a visit to a LINA project area in Batangas, he met a tragic road accident. Lualhati Tanchoco Gonzales assumed the post of MCU Executive Vice President. Renato G. Tanchoco was tapped to take on the role of MCU Vice President and Treasurer. Reynaldo Rillo (MCU College of Dentistry, 1977) placed 7th in June Dental Board Exams, as Rosario Dela Torre (MCU College of Medicine, 1977) made it among the Medical Board Exams topnotchers
Ma. Socorro Gozar (MCU College of Dentistry, 1982) topped the December Dental Board Exams.
The MCU Medical Alumni Association in America, Inc was organized to strengthen bonds among US-based alumni and to raise funds for educational resources, research and patient care/ community services in the Philippines. MCU awarded Atty. Amado Dizon, prolific educator and former MCU Acting President, the title of Doctor of Humanities, honoris causa
The MCU Bagong Silang Health Center “under the tree” started as a community extension program. MCU would acquire a lot and build a permanent health center two years later. Daniel Veneracion (MCU College of Dentistry, 1985) placed 10th in May Dental Board Exams.
The formal Committee on Research was created to coordinate all scientific researches of the College of Medicine and to publish the College’s Philippine Scientific Journal. Cesar Magsino of the MCU College of Medicine Class 1986 placed second in the Medical Board Exams, and classmate Rogelio George Magnaje joined him among the ranks of topnotchers.
Lucito Sison (MCU College of Dentistry, 1987) placed 10th in May Dental Board Exams.
MCU’s Viannely Berwyn Flores (MCU College of Medicine, 1986) made it among the Medical Board Exam topnotchers.
Emmanuel Linchangco of the MCU College of Medicine Class 1989 topped the Medical Board Exam, and classmates Lourdes Quinto joined him among the topnotchers
Evangeline Franco-Fabian (MCU College of Medicine, Class 1988) was among the topnotchers in the August Medical Board Exam.
MCU launched the University Integrated Community Extension Programs and Services (UNICEPS) in Barangay Portrero, Malabon. Involving seven colleges and later expanding to other areas. UNICEPS adopted a holistic approach to community development that blended medical, dental, optometry, and laboratory services with literacy, sports, livelihood, health education, environmental sanitation, mothercraft and feeding programs. Pinky Grace Varilla (MCU College of Dentistry, 1991) placed 2nd in December Dental Board Exams.
The College of Medicine adopted a competency –based curriculum. MCU College of Medicine Class 1990 valedictorian Glen Manalo ranked among the Medical Board Exam topnotchers. Renato G. Tanchoco died. Monalisa Marcia (BSN, 1992) and Val Lomuntad (MCU College of Dentistry, 1992) placed 5th in the Nursing and Dental Board Exams, respectively while Jesse Cagiuao (MCU College of Optometry, 1991) placed 7th in the Board Exams for Optometry.
A Research Unit was organized in the College of Medicine. Ma. Peachy Tiongson (MCU College of Optometry, 1992) placed 5th in the Board Exams for Optometry.
Mrs. Purificacion Gallego-Tanchoco died and was succeeded by Dr. Lualhati Tanchoco-Gonzalez as MCU President. The College of Physical Therapy was approved. Jennifer Requino (BSN, 1994) placed 7th in the Nursing Board Exams and Antonio Ambas Jr. (MCU College of Dentistry, 1994) placed 9th in May Dental Board Exams.
The MCU College of Medicine adopted an innovative curriculum, anchored on “problem-based learning” (PBL) as teaching strategy. Sustaining its high standards, MCU College of Optometry celebrated a banner year at three of its Class 1994 graduates landed in the top ten of the Optometry Board Exams: Marianne Mance (2nd), Michael De Castro (2nd), Hilda Perez (9th).
All the colleges were consolidated in one the campus. All the programs in the Manila campuses in Zurbaran and Mayhaligue were transferred to Caloocan City. Rolando Marcelino (MCU College of Optometry, 1996) placed 6th in Board Exams for Optometry, Vesna Lea Ferrer (MCU College of Dentistry, 1996) placed 7th in the December Dental Board Exams.
MCU’s Jude Ganzon (BSN, 1997) topped the year’s Nursing Board Examinations.
The Tanchoco Family Council was organized, creating a regular venue for the second and third generation clan members to participate formally in setting policy directions and in making major management decisions for MCU, consistent with deeply-held values and standards
In the year’s Darryl Picar (MCU College of Dentistry, 1999) placed 2nd in May and Catherine de Guzman (MCU College of Dentistry, 1999) placed 6th in December. The same year sees Ernesto Cabiling (MCU College of Optometry, 1998), placed 9th in the Board Exam for Optometry.
Eileen Gonzales (MCU College of Optometry, 1999) placed 10th in Board Exams for Optometry.
MCU-FDTMF engaged The Denver Group, a management consultancy organization, to took the key officers through a process of setting strategic directions for the University in the 21st century. Intensive workshops yielded the Leading Education through Alignment and Responsible Navigation (LEARN) in the Creating the Unique and Revolutionary Endeavor (CURE) change management interventions for MCU and FDTMF, respectively. Noted economist and former Finance Secretary Jesus P. Estanislao was conferred the title of Doctor of Humanities, honoris causa. Dental Board Exams yielded a bumper crop of topnotchers for MCU: Pol Pagsanjan (College of Dentistry, 2001), 3rd (December);Marvin Andaya (College of Dentistry, 2000) 10th(May); and Helen Jagmis (College of Dentistry, 2001),10th (December).
MCU scored big in Board Exams for Optometry as Jimmy Juan (College of Optometry, 2000) and Jocelyn Lim (College of Optometry, 1999) placed No. 2 and No. 7 respectively. The year also sees Darwin Tualla (MCU College of Dentistry, 2002) clinched 10th place in the May Dental Board Exams.
The Commission on Higher Education selected MCU among the universities and colleges deserving of the grant of autonomy and deregulated status due to academic excellence, outstanding overall performances of their graduates in licensure exams, and their long tradition of integrity. Autonomy entitles MCU to, among others, financial incentives and the privilege to prescribe curricular programs to achieve global competence. Janice Beltran (MCU College of Optometry, 2001) placed 3rd in Board Exams for Optometry and Frederick Brigino (BSN, 2002) placed 8th in Licensure Exam for Midwifery.
MCU celebrated “100 years of Commitment to the Filipino through Excellence in Education.” MCU College of Optometry Class 2004 graduates Raegan Ludovick Bartolome and Mauro Carlo Aquino placed 7th and 10th, respectively, in Board Exams for Optometry. The University conferred upon Dr. Josette Talamero Biyo, internationally award educator and scientist, the degree of Doctor of Humanities, honoris causa.
MCU marks its 105th founding anniversary with the installation of Dr. Aristotle Tanchoco Malabanan as the University's 4th President held last March 25, 2009 at the school's Centennial Gymnasium. The year's theme is "Unity in Overcoming the Challenges" - the same theme used for its 104th anniversary in 2008.