Magsaysay Group of Companies
The Magsaysay Group of Companies is a privately-held company founded in 1948 as a local shipping management company but through the years, it has expanded into one of the global human resource providers in the Asia-Pacific region. The company is a major player in the global shipping, maritime, cruise, healthcare and hospitality industries, operating from 14 offices in the Philippines, Jakarta, Bali, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Ningbo, Tokyo, Vancouver, London, New York and Croatia.
A. Magsaysay, Inc. was incorporated in 1948 Robert Ho and his father-in-law Ambrosio Magsaysay. The company was originally a shipping management company. The two businessmen, seeing the opportunity of the maritime industry after the Second World War, went on to establish the company.
Two year later, a milestone was achieved after Ho and his brother-in-law Miguel Magsaysay led the Filipino Ship Owners Associations for the passage of the Philippine Shipping Act in 1955. This subsequently led to the establishment of a consortium of Filipino ship owners in 1958, the United Philippines Lines (UPL) in 1958.
In 1988, the Magsaysay Group, through Magsaysay Lines, Inc. and in partnership with FIM Holdings HK, Ltd. acquired the National Marine Corporation from the Philippine government after it was privatized.
To date, the NMC is the single largest shareholder of the Lorenzo Shipping Corporation. NMC now forms part of Magsaysay Transport and Logistics Group with several strategic business units directly under its management.
Services of Magsaysay Transport and Logistics Group
The MTLG offers the following services:
- full-container liner shipping
- 3rd-party logistics, chassis leasing
- tankering and petroleum barging
- marine bunkering
- fast-ferry operations
- ship agency and brokerage
- ship management
- technical marine services and repairs
- port operations and management
Magsaysay Houlders Insurance Brokers, Inc.
The Magsaysay Houlders Insurance Brokers, Inc. (MIHI) is a partnership between Magsaysay Maritime Corporation and Houlder Insurance Brokers. The joint-venture between the two companies stemmed out of the need to professionalized its insurance services for the Magsaysay Group of Companies, which previously relied on its own subsidiary, Magsaysay Insurance Services, Inc.
To date, MHIBI expanded its services to include reinsurance services to include risk specialty such as Infrastructure Projects, Power and Energy, Ship Repairers’ Liability, Port and Terminal Operators’ Liability, Sabotage and Terrorism.
Magsaysay Institute of Shipping
The Magsaysay Institute of Shipping is one of the two training companies of the Magsaysay Group. The MIS is a three-hectare facility in Dasmariñas, Cavite that provides in-house training programs to MOL cadet scholars.
Magsaysay Institute for Hospitality and Culinary Arts
The Magsaysay Institute for Hospitality and Culinary Arts offers hospitality and culinary certificate courses and provides candidates a career in the hospitality, culinary arts, travel, and tourism industry locally or internationally.
Complete business line
- Magsaysay Maritime Corporation (MMC)
- Fairex Trading Asia Corporation
- Magsaysay Shipmanagement, Inc.
Tankering and Barging
- Islas Tankers Shipping Corp.
- Batangas Bay Cariers, Inc.
Full-Container Lines Shipping
- NMC Container
- Lorenzo Shipping Corporation
Third Party Logistics
- OneStop Logistics Solutions, Inc.
- Roadlink Logistics Solutions, Inc.
- Filipinas Maritime Transport Corporation
- Magsaysay Global Services, Inc. (MGSI)
- Careline Services, In
Manpower/Headhunting and Training
- Magsaysay Training Center (MTC)
*Magsaysay Institute of Shipping (MIS)
Hospitality and Culinary
*Magsaysay Institute of Hospitality and Culinary Arts
Business Process Outsourcing and Tourism
- Travel People Ltd., Inc.
- Trading Magsaysay Houlder Insurance Brokers, Inc. (MHIBI)
Allied Services (Transport and Logistics)
- Magsaysay Marine Services Inc.
*NMC Ship Agency and Brokerage
Awards and citations
- Top Performer Award by the Philippine Overseas Employment Association in 1984, 1988, 1989 and 1990
- Award of Distinction by POEA in 1992 and 1993
- Hall of Fame by POEA in 1990
- Best Manning Agent in Asia Pacific by Lloyd’s List Maritime Asia Awards (International) in 2005 and 2006
- Award of Excellence for annual Agency Performance Awards by POEA in 2006