14 (TV series)
From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
Pag-ibig, Paninindigan, Pananagutan
(Love, Principles, Responsibility)
|Created by||Regal Films|
|Directed by||Malu Sevilla|
|Starring|| Erich Gonzales |
|Opening theme||"Tamis ng Unang Halik" ("Sweetness of First Kiss") by Juris of MYMP|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||100 (total)|
|Running time||30-45 minutes|
|Original channel|| ABS-CBN (2009-2010) |
Channel 3 (2011-present)
|Original run|| August 24, 2009 - January 8, 2010 (Philippines) |
March 1, 2010 - September 3, 2010 (Malaysia)
October 25, 2010 - March 11, 2011 (Indonesia)
April 1, 2011 – present (Thailand)
|Followed by||Tanging Yaman|
Katorse (lit. Fourteen) is a television primetime series that started airing on August 24, 2009 on ABS-CBN. It tells the story of a simple provinciana who fell in love with a man and later figured out that she is about to become a teenage mother. It is loosely based on the 1981 film starring Dina Bonnevie, Gabby Concepcion and Alfie Anido.
The show stars 2005 Star Circle Grand Questor, Erich Gonzales, as teenage mom, Nene. This is Gonzales' very first starring role in a primetime program. The program also showcases showbiz newbies Ejay Falcon and Xian Lim in their first starring role in a primetime series. ABS-CBN picked the cast because they believe that primetime television needs to have new faces, to make it look fresh and better than the usual actors.
In early July 2009, ABS-CBN released the program's trailer, which revealed the cast of Katorse to include veteran actors Malou de Guzman (as Nene's mother) and Cherie Gil as Gabby's mother, where she plays a less villainous role. Cherie Gil and Erich Gonzales have previously worked together before in Pieta. Ms. Gil saw a lot of potential with Erich and believes that she will go far more on the showbiz industry.
 1981 Film
The original Katorse starred Dina Bonnevie which launched her to stardom back in the early ’80’s. With Gabby Concepcion as Gabby and the late Alfie Anido as Albert. Katorse is known for the trademark “magic kamison” wherein the usually young lead star dons a sexy top which would look even sexier when the star goes for a swim because of the wet look. Although, there is no third man in the film, ABS-CBN management added Enchong Dee for the third pair.
 Story and Development
Nene, an ordinary barrio lass whose life is about to change with the arrival of her childhood friends Albert and Gabby during one fateful summer. With two guys vying for her attention, Nene embarks on a romantic adventure that turns into a disaster as she faces an unwanted pregnancy. Nene also discovers a whole lot of troubles involving her family.
Fourteen year-old Nene grows excited of her childhood friend Gabby’s upcoming arrival in the hacienda. It seems that during their younger years, the lad had actually promised to marry her, and she has been waiting for him to come back and fulfill his promise ever since. On the other hand, Gabby seems to be awfully annoyed with the thought of going back home for the summer because he is looking forward to spend it with Marissa; but after the latter relentlessly pushed him to go back home, he then decides to submit to his father’s political desires. After sharing an intimate kiss with Nene, Gabby tells her that he loves the naive young lady. The very next day, he starts to continuously sweep Nene off her feet up until he actually convinces her to be his girlfriend. One night, he invites the young lady back in their house to spend sometime inside his room. And while they are in the middle of a lip-lock, Gabby’s mother surprisingly walks in on them.
On Nene’s way out, Gabby’s mother chases after her to send out a warning with regard to her rather unacceptable affair with her son. Nene tells Gabby that his mother doesn’t like her for him. Immediately, he comforts the poor young lady while telling that everything will soon be okay. The next day, Nene fulfills her responsibility as Reyna Elena as she parades all over town with her escort, Gabby. After the said event, the two escape the set after party to proceed to their secret hideout; and there they end up spending an intimate night together. Gabby catches his brother Albert kissing the love of his life Marissa, so he immediately engages in a fist fight with the lad. There, he learns about the two’s romantic link, which further enrages him. While pondering about his new discovery, Nene surprisingly comes his way. The young lady tries cheering up the lad; but instead of receiving a positive response, Nene ends up totally devastated because Gabby has suddenly decided to break up with her.
After learning about Nenita’s mischief in Manila as she works herself off to support the young lady’s studies, Nena simply couldn’t help but enrage in anger. Immediately, she drags eldest daughter back to their province. On the other hand, behind Nena’s knowledge, another dilemma awaits her. Nene discovers that she is pregnant with Gabby’s baby, and she gladly tells this to the lad; but to Nene’s dismay, upon hearing of the said news, Gabby instantly yells at her with disbelief.
Despite the pregnancy test kit’s bold confirmation, Gabby fails to believe the truth behind Nene’s untimely child expectancy; he persistently claims that he has no intention to take responsibility of the latter’s child. After hearing his own mother’s threat regarding early parenthood, Gabby chooses to run away. On the other hand, Nene finally decides to admit her current situation to her mother, despite Nenita’s persistent refusal.
Gabby receive's bad thought from his brother and mother upon confrontation the night after their deal with Nene's family. Gabby made an idea that he wanted to win again the heart of the young lady so that his family wouldn't said any bad thought to him. The day after he went to Nene's house bringing his peace offering; Teddy Bear, Balloon and Chocolates at first Nene doesn't believe but then after he saw the love of Gabby from Gabby's surprise to Nene an "I love you" made of roses, Nene was in love again with Gabby. Gabby decided to let Nene stay at their home yet despite of their families approval Gabby's mother Margaruita had some disapproval within this issue. 
 Cast and Characters
 Main Cast
- Erich Gonzales as Elena "Nene" Reyes – Nene is an innocent girl and a daughter from a sugar cane farm. Nene dreams of living in the city just like her elder sister Nenita. At 14, there hasn’t much excitement in her life until she gets reunited with the dashing Arcanghel brothers. Will her first brush with love ruin her life forever or will it help her transition into a mature young woman? then she suddenly fell inlove with Jojo who is the classmate of gabby. Jojo's parents annoy nene
- Ejay Falcon as Gabriel "Gabby" Arcanghel – Gabby is 16 years old. He maybe the real Arcanghel but his rebellious attitude further puts a gap between him and his parents. Making him more insecure is the fact that the girl he loves already fancies his best friend.
- Xian Lim as Albert Arcanghel – Albert Archanghel is the more responsible and considerate son of Anselmo and Margarita. He had a girlfriend named Marissa . Marissa was always upset when Albert is not with her all the time.
- Enchong Dee as John Joseph "Jojo" Wenceslao - Gabby's best friend. A guy who is praising himself always and with a strong ego. He will meet Nene and find her attractive. But as Nene faces unwanted pregnancy, he realizes that he needs to become a better man and comes to comfort Nene. His love for Nene to stand up for her. He takes care of Nene. His father is a businessman and his mother is a doctor.
 Extended Cast
- Gardo Versoza as Don Anselmo Arcanghel
- Cherie Gil as Donya Margarita Arcanghel
- Malou de Guzman as Nena Reyes
- Eda Nolan as Nenita Reyes
- Charee Pineda as Marissa Ocampo
- Carmi Martin as Yvonne Wenceslao
- Jessy Mendiola as Bettina Godinez
- Matt Ranillo III as Mr. Wenceslao
- Izza Ignacio as Michelle Castro
- Kathryn Bernardo as Girlie
 Guest Cast
- Mara Schnittka as young Nene
- Mark Joshua Salvador as young Gabriel
- Joanna Marie Tan as Doray
- Tommy Abuel as Mr. King
- Dino Imperial as Dilbert
- Dimples Romana as Mother Julie
- Maritess Joaquin as Theresa Ocampo
- Valerie Garcia as Shakira
- Martin del Rosario as Macoy
The program's themesong, especially for Gabby and Nene, is titled "Tamis ng Unang Halik" ("Sweetness of First Kiss") sung by Juris of MYMP originally done by Cristina Paner. The song "My Love is Here" sung by Erik Santos is also featured in the show as a themesong for Jojo and Nene.
The show was originally scheduled to air in early June 8, 2009, but was postponed as the producers reported having encountered shooting problems because of the weather. Because of this, the management have decided to replace Katorse's timeslot with The Wedding, a romantic-comedy series starring Anne Curtis, Derek Ramsay and Zanjoe Marudo. 
 Teenage pregnancy issue
MTRCB has shown concerns due to the show's main theme, about teenage pregnancy. They claim that this matter is to be taken serisouly and can easily influence viewers. They also referred to The Wedding, another program by ABS-CBN in which the character of Hiyasmin Neri have become pregnant at a young age. MTRCB proclaim that these shows are making teenage pregnancy a stereotype on everyday lives. Although frowned upon, MTRCB have decided that they will take a closer look on these shows
 External links
 See also
- ↑ http://www.abs-cbn.com/Weekdays/cast/article/3677/katorse/Katorse.aspx
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 http://www.abs-cbn.com/Weekdays/article/3677/katorse/Katorse.aspx
- ↑ http://www.abs-cbn.com/Feature/Article/4600/Enchong-Dee-is-thinking-of-courting-Maja-Salvador.aspx
- ↑ http://getitfromboy.net/erich-gonzales-in-katorse/
- ↑ http://www.abs-cbn.com/tvshows.aspx
- ↑ http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=6&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stir.ph%2FLM%2Farticles~level2%2Fid-1244514599757_1%2Fview_articles.html&ei=ZpaeSp6KAc7S-Qac7tHaCw&usg=AFQjCNGwjmkQvKmZKbaHIdO09QI-3VmAMw&sig2=j_jaQybJht_eDjtGrn8L0A
- ↑ http://www.pinoyparazzi.com/erich-gonzales-pinag-iinitan-ng-mtrcb.html
|ABS-CBN Primetime Bida|
|Katorse · TV Patrol World · May Bukas Pa · Lovers In Paris · Dahil May Isang Ikaw · Pinoy Big Brother: Double Up · SNN: Showbiz News Ngayon|