Juan Miguel Zubiri
|Political Party:||[[United Nationalist Alliance) (UNA)|
|Born:|| April 13, 1969 (age 44)|
Juan Miguel "'Migz" Zubiri is a Filipino politician who served as a Senator in the 14th Congress of the Philippines. Before becoming a senator, he served as a Congressman representing the third district of Bukidnon. He was born on April 13, 1969 in Makati City, Philippines to an Arab-Ilonggo father and a Bicolana mother, and raised in the province of Bukidnon. He speaks Ilonggo, Cebuano, Tagalog, and English. He is a member of the pro-administration Lakas CMD. He is married to Audrey Tan, a former MYX VJ. His father is the incumbent Bukidnon Governor Jose Maria Zubiri.
On August 3, 2011, he announced his resignation because of accusations of poll fraud which he said has deeply hurt his family. In an interview after delivering his speech, Zubiri said that he would seek a Senate post in 2013.
Zubiri finished elementary and high school in Colegio San Agustin-Makati (1982, 1986 respectively). He graduated from University of the Philippines Los Baños with a degree in Bachelor of Science in Agribusiness.
Zubiri is deeply involved in environmental programs. He is the founder of the Philippine Deer Foundation, a deer conservation project, and president of Katala Foundation, a Palawan-based organization that protects endangered wildlife species and their habitats.
Zubiri is also a trained first aider and a certified rescue diver. He is a governor of the Philippine Red Cross and active member of the Red Cross Youth Committee and Concerned Divers of the Philippines.
After serving as chief of staff of his father, Representative Jose Zubiri, Jr. (now Bukidnon Governor) from 1995-1998, he ran for the the post to be vacated by his father in the 1998 general elections. He won membership of the 10th Congress. He was a member of the Spice Boys during his first term as a Congressman. He was re-elected to the Congress in the 2001 and 2004 elections.
After serving as Congressman for three-terms, he was drafted by Lakas CMD to be one of their representatives in the Unity Ticket being pushed by Malacanang in the 2007 mid-term elections.
In the 15th Congress, he chaired the Committee on Environment and Natural Resources, Committee on Cooperatives and 3 Joint Congressional Oversight Committees such as the Joint Congressional Oversight Committee on the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act; Joint Congressional Committee on Clean Air Act; and the Joint Congressional Oversight Committee on Cooperatives. He was also a member of 20 other Senate standing committees.
2007 Senate Elections Controversy
In the final tally for the 2007 senatorial race by the Philippine Commission on Elections (Comelec), Rep. Zubiri narrowly edged out opposition candidate Aquilino Pimentel III for the 12th and last slot in the Senate. Zubiri had a total of 11,001,730 votes against Pimentel's 10,983,358 votes.  The margin of some 18,372 votes was hotly contested, particularly the votes from the southern Philippine province of Maguindanao, where Pimentel had lost heavily to Zubiri.
Claiming the votes in Maguindanao were tainted.  Pimentel petitioned the Philippine Supreme Court to issue a restraining order against the proclamation of Zubiri. After oral arguments however the vote on the petition was tied at 7-7 with the High Tribunal consequently failing to grant Pimentel's petition.  The next day, July 14, 2007, Zubiri was duly proclaimed elected to the Philippine Senate.
On August 3, 2011, Zubiri delivered a privilege speech saying that he is resigning as a Senator, making him the first person to do such. Zubiri cited the issue of the very divisive nature of the election protest that places doubts on the electoral system. Days after his resignation, the Senate Elections Tribuna declared Pimentel as the winner of the 2007 Elections four years after the Elections.
Platforms: Program for Government - HEEPFS
- H- Health
- Totally free health care and services, including hospitalization, in government hospitals and health facilities under the “No Balance Billing” program – amend the Universal Health Care Act
- Oppose privatization of government hospitals
- Strengthen government hospitals’ services including free medicines to patients
- Upgrade government health centers and facilities
- E- Education
- “Food for School Program” – provide free breakfast and lunch for public elementary and high school students
- Strengthen linkages between government agencies and State Universities and Colleges (SUCs) in Research and Development.
- Upgrade the salary grade of Teachers’ entry level from SG 10 to 18
- Establish special education centers for special students in every DepEd school division through the enactment of *Special Education Act
- Enact Magna Carta for Students
- E- Environment
- Enact the National Land Use Act (NaLUA) and the Forest Preservation and Rehabilitation Act
- Enact also the following: “Araw ng Kalikasan” for tree-planting and other environmental activities, and Magna Carta for Environment and Natural Resources Personnel Act (to protect and give benefits to environmental workers)
- Establish more Protected Areas
- Strengthen the Disaster Risk Reduction and Management capability of all LGUs
- Monitor strictly the implementation of the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and Solid Waste Management Act
- P- Peace and Development
- Enact the enabling law on the Framework Agreement on the proposed Bangsamoro Autonomous Region
- Implement the Mindanao Railway System
- Strengthen the cooperative sector
- Amend the Consumer Protection Law to enhance consumer protection
- FS- Food Security
- Establish “food corridor” in every region
- Establish also agricultural centers in every region and focus government funding in these areas
- Enact the Agricultural and Fisheries Mechanization Act
- Re-nationalize the municipal agricultural officers
- Increase the real property tax on idle private agricultural lands
- RA 9513 - Renewable Energy Act of 2008
- RA 9367 - The Biofuels Act of 2006
- RA 9520 - Philippine Cooperative Code of 2008
- RA10068 – Organic Agriculture Act of 2010
- RA 9147 – Wildlife Conservation and Protection Act
- RA 10121 – Philippine Disaster Risk Management Act
- RA 9165 – Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002
- RA 9679 – the Home Development Mutual Fund Law of 2009 (Pag-IBIG Fund)
- RA 9653 – the Rent Control Act of 2009
- RA 9997 – the National Commission on Muslim Filipinos Act of 2009
- RA 9996 – the Mindanao Development Authority Act of 2010
- RA 9904 – the Magna Carta for Homeowners and Homeowners’ Associations
- RA 9903 – Condonation of Penalties on Delinquent Social Security Contributions
- RA 9507 – the Socialized and Low-Cost Housing Loan Condonation Program
- RA 9850 – Declaring Arnis as the National Martial Art and Sport
- RA 9500 – UP Charter Amendments
- RA 9163 – National Service Training Program
- RA 9166 – Armed Forces of the Philippines Rate Pay Base Increase Act
- RA 10072 – the New Charter of the Philippine Red Cross
- RA 9645 – Declaring July 27 of Every Year as Araw ng Iglesia Ni Cristo and as Special Working Holiday
- RA 9849 – Declaring Eidul Adha as a National Holiday
Here is a partial list of Zubiri's authored bills:
- SB 1492- Forest Preservation and Rehabilitation Act of 2007
- SB 1534- Gifted Children and Science-Oriented Youth Act
- SB 1535 - Oil Spill Prevention Act of 2007
- SB 1536- Drinking Water Business Act of 2007
- SB 1541- Anti-Unscrupulous Contractors Act
- SB 1543- Act Establishing a Center for Teacher’s Excellence All throughout the Country
- SB 1547- Local Initiative on Environmental Protection and Conservation of Natural Resources Act of 2007
- SB 1548- Magna Carta for Private School Teachers
- SB 1549- Act Declaring every 26th of June of Every Year as Philippines-France Friendship Day
- SB 1550- Security of Tenure Act of 2007
- SB 1551- Act to Exempt from the Income Requirement Capital Towns of Provinces Subject to Certain Conditions, Amending RA 9009 (Local Govt. Code of 1991)
- SB 1552- Magna Carta for Students
- SB 1571- Toxic and Hazardous Substances Control of 2007
- SB 1580 - School Modernization and Innovation Act of 2007
- SB 1581College Teachers Continuing Education
- SB 1582- Computer Education Act of 2007
- SB 1583- Act Creating Medical Tourism Bureau
- SB 1584- Science and Technology Funding Act of 2007
- SB 1585- Magna Carta for the Workers in the Informal Sector
- SB 1601- Omnibus Housing and Urban Development Act of 2007
- SB 1602 - Act Requiring all IPP, Generation Companies or Energy Resource Developers to Remit the Amount They are Required to set Aside as Financial Benefit to Host Communities
- SB 1603 - Act Teaching Ecology in All Elementary and Secondary
Levels, Whether Public or Private
Other Positions Held
- Member, Rotary Club of Makati
- President, University of the Philippines Ranchers Club
- Chairman, Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines
- Chairman, Paglaum Foundation
- Member, Upsilon Phi Sigma Fraternity/Sorority (founded 1935)
- Philippine Cooperative Code of 2008
- Bukidnon: The Philippine Frontier
- Inquirer.net, SC paves way for Zubiri proclamation. (Accessed 12 May 2009).
- I-site.ph Personal Information:Juan Migueal Zubiri. (Accessed 12 May 2009).
- Alberto-Masakayan, Thea.“Senator Zubiri resigns from post, to run in 2013”.YAHOO! News Philippines.(Accessed 12 February 2013).
- “Biography”.MIGZZUBIRI.org.(Accessed 12 February 2013).
- Senator Juan Miguel F. Zubiri”.Senate of the Philippines 15th Congress.(Accessed 12 February 2013).
- “Office of Sen. Juan Miguel F. Zubiri LIST OF BILLS/RESOLUTIONS FILED”.MIGZZUBIRI.org.(Accessed 13 February 2013).