Jose Wendell Capili
From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
|Jose Wendell Capili|
| Image:Jose Wendell Capili|
|Field/s of Study:||Comparative Literature, Culture and survival strategies in diasporic communities|
Jose Wendell Capili is an associate professor 4 and associate dean for Academic Affairs, College of Arts and Letters, University of the Philippines Diliman. He was a holder of Carlos P. Romulo Professorial Chair (1998-99; 2000-01) and was previously Program Development Associate to the UP Diliman Chancellor (1997-1999;1999-2001); and Associate Dean for Administration and Development, UP College of Arts and Letters (2000-2003;2003-2004). He specializes on Comparative Literature, Culture and survival strategies in diasporic communities.
He has received Carlos Palanca, Cultural Center of the Philippines and University of the Philippines awards for his poetry and essays as well as scholarships/fellowships from the Cambridge Overseas Trust, British Council, Japan Ministry of Education, University of Hong Kong, Korea Foundation, University of Malaya Asia-Europe Institute, University of Malaya Cultural Centre, UP and ANU in the fields of creative writing, literature, social anthropology and history.
 List of Publications
- ”A Madness of Birds” (poems, University of the Philippines Press, 1998)
Bloom and Memory (essays, University of Santo Tomas Publishing House, 2002)
- ”Mabuhay to Beauty!” (pop culture, Milflores Publishing, 2003)
- ”From the Editors: Migrant Communities and Emerging Australian Community” (Casula Powerhouse, 2007).
- “Cadenza” (poetry) in Sansiglong Mahigit ng Makabagong Tula sa Filipinas (One Hundred Years of Modernist Poetry in the Philippines, Virgilio S. Almario, editor), Pasig: Anvil Publishing, 2006: 271.
- "”Miss Universe bet gets a makeover”" (article) in The Filipino Reporter (Empire State Building, New York), Year 34, No. 30, 7-13 July 2006: 1.
- “I remember Chat Silayan’s triumph” (nonfiction) in The Philippine Daily Inquirer , 1 May 2006: A2-2.
- “The Great Australian Landscape”, “Luminescence”, “Ascending Brindabella” and “Migrancy” (poetry) in Tomas 10 (Alfred A. Yuson, issue editor). Manila: University of Santo Tomas, 2006: 20-21.
- “Relocating a Boyhood” (creative nonfiction), in Philippine Studies (Special Literary Issue), Volume 53
Nos 2 & 3 (Soledad Reyes, issue editor). Quezon City: Ateneo de Manila University Press, 2005: 272-289.
- “Coping with ADHD” (essay) in My Fair Maladies! (CP Hidalgo, editor). Quezon City: Milflores Publishing, 2005: 25-27.
- “Nemenzo Delivers Lecture in Australia” (news article). UP Newsletter, 9 may 2005: 6.
- “Soup” (poem) in Westerly (Volume 49). Crawley, Western Australia: University of Western Australia, November 2004: 63.
- “Jose Wendell P. Capili” (oral/literary history) in Sarilaysay: Danas at Dalumat ng Lalaking
- ”Manunulat sa Filipino” (Oral Narratives by Male Writers Writing in Filipino, Rosario Torres Yu and Alwin C. Aguirre, Editors). Quezon City: University of the Philippines Press, 2004: 105-117.
- “Resentment” (poem) in 100 Love Poems: Philippine Love Poetry since 1905 (Gemino Abad
and Alfred Yuson, editors). Quezon City: University of the Philippine Press, 2004; 78.
- “Ohtaue” (poem) in Budhi: A Journal of Ideas and Culture 1 and 2. Quezon City: Ateneo de Manila University,2003:178.
- “Hometown” (poem) in Budhi: A Journal of Ideas and Culture 1 and 2. Quezon City: Ateneo de Manila University,2003:177.
- “Hakone-Zaiku” (poem) in Diliman Review (Volume 51, Nos. 1-2). QC: University of the Philippines,2003:113.
- “Water Sprite” (poem) in Diliman Review (Volume 51, Nos. 1-2). QC: University of the Philippines,2003:112
- “Remembering the Dead” (poem) in Diliman Review (Volume 51, Nos. 1-2). QC: University of the Philippines,2003:112
- “Hometown” (poem) in Diliman Review (Volume 51, Nos. 1-2). QC: University of the Philippines,2003:111.
- “Talinghaga ng mga Puno”(poem) in Saligan IV. Quezon City: SIBS Publishing House Inc., 2003.
- “Ten Ways” in Sleepless in Manila: Essays on Insomnia by Insomniacs. Manila: Milflores Publishing, 2003: 43.
- “Blind Escape on Angel’s Wings” (review of Ellen Ongkeko’s film ANGELS) in The Philippine Daily Inquirer. 12 May 2003. G3.
- “Yohsuke, Sa Shimokitazawa” (poem) in Sunday Inquirer Magazine. 30 March 2003. Q2
- “Portraits of a Dragon” (essay) in Mabuhay (Philippine Air Lines In-Flight Magazine). January 2003. 39-43.
- “Brave Thoughts of Pinoy youth in family and faith” (review) in The Philippine Daily Inquirer . 20 January 2003:E4.
- “Hugging the Shore” (poem) in The Likhaan Book of Poetry and Fiction 2001. UP Press, 2002.
- “Remembering Ching Dadufalza” (essay) in Who’s Afraid of Ching Dadufalza?. Quezon City: Easyprint House,2002;181-182.
- “The “Other” (review) at the Cinemanila 2002’s screenwriting contest” in The Philippine Daily Inquirer. 2 September 2002: E7.
- “Incantations and Memory: Reading Bilingual Writers from my Generation” (essay) in Ani Tomo 28, 2000.Manila;Cultural Center of the Philippines:116-123.
- “Demolisyon” (poem) in Ang Aklat Likhaan ng Tula at Maikling Kuwento. UP Press, 2002.
- “Soup” (poem) in Love Gathers All. Singapore: Ethos Press, 2002: 125.
- “In Odawara” (poem) in Love Gathers All. Singapore: Ethos Press, 2002: 43.
- “Constellation According to the Laws of Chance” (poem) in Sunday Inquirer Magazine. 9 December 2001: 7.
- “Inuit Ethnography” (poem) in Philippines Free Press. 1 December 2001: 35.
- “Hugging the Shore” (poem) in Sunday Inquirer Magazine. 11 Nov. 2001: 7.
- “Fresh Wind” (poem) in Beauty for Ashes: Remembering Maningning (Miclat and Baquiran, eds.). Pasig: Anvil, 2001: 73.
- “SIPI: Interview with National Artist for Sculpture Napoleon Abueva” in Bulawan 1. Manila: National Commission for Culture and the Arts, 2001: 58-63.
- “Confessions of an USTETIKA Winner” in USTETIKA Folio. Manila: UST, 2000-01. pp. 4-5.
- “An Entertaining and Stimulating Literary Festival” in The Philippine Daily Inquirer. 9 July 2001: p. H4.
- "Neighbourhood Tales: The Role of Creative Writing Programs and Mentors from Southeast Asia and Australia" presented at the 8th International Conference on Philippine Studies
 Conferences Attended
- Participant, 8th International Conference on Philippine Studies. Philippine Social Science Center and Ateneo de Manila University, July 23-26, 2008
- About Wendell Capili (Accessed April 27, 2009)