Jose Miguel “Jomike” Tejido (b. 13 January 1982) is a Filipino children's book illustrator, writer, painter and architect.
Background and education
As an architect
After graduating in 2005, Tejido worked for JT Manosa and Associates as an apprentice. A couple of years later, he earned his license as a professional architect and started working for his family's firm, Tejido Architecture and Art.
As a children's book writer and illustrator
As an freshman in college, Tejido joined Ilustrador ng Kabataan and later became its president. He was discovered by Adarna publishers and was offered the opportunity to illustrate his first children's book, Abot Mo Ba Ang Tainga Mo? written by Heidi Abad. Inspired by Abad, he wrote his own book entitled Dindo Bondindo about a firefly with a real lightbulb for a rear. He has received both local and international recognition for his works and was part of the 2004 International Board on Books for Young People for Illustration Honor List for illustration and a runner-up in the 2006 Noma Concours.
As an art show host
While doing illustrations for Adarna House Tejido also hosted the show Art is Kool on ABC-5.
=As a comic artist
He is also the creator of Mikrokosmos, a comic strip for the Philippine Daily Inquirer.
As a painter
Tejido is the first and only Filipino painter of acrylic on banig as canvas. He started this as a way of promoting environmental awareness and showcasing the richness of Filipino art and culture.
In 2005, he started Foldabots or folder-made robots that have alt modes, such as a motor vehicle or a robotic animal such as a Philippine Eagle or a tutubi (dragonfly). He gave them names and personalities that were Filipino-inspired. This project was launched in K-Zone magazine and got the attention of young readers. Because of this, he came up with the back story of Foldabots fighting to save the planet from the polluting monster Lu-sho.
From Foldabots, Tejido created Robotar, a folder-made character inspired by the Philippine tarsier. This project aims to promote Philippine art and wildlife.
- Ang Ilustrador ng Kabataan (Ang InK)
- Samahang Kartunista ng Pilipinas (SKP)
Awards and recognition
- Runner-up (Noma Concours, Japan) 2006
- Honorable Mention (PBBY-Alcala Illustrator's Prize) 2006
- Thesis of the Year (University of Santo Tomas) 2005
- Honor List for Illustration (International Board on Books for Young People) 2004
- Golden Book Award, as author-illustrator – 2004
- Golden Book Award, as illustrator – 2002
- Jomike Artverite.net (Accessed 21 January 2010)
- The Wonderful World of Jomike Tejido Philstar.com (Accessed 21 January 2010)
- Rise and Fold Globalnation.inquirer.net (Accessed 21 January 2010)
- Journal Robotars.multiply.com (Accessed 21 January 2010)