How My Brother Leon Brought Home A Wife
From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
How My Brother Leon Brought Home A Wife is a story written by Manuel Arguilla about a man who comes home to his province to introduce his wife from the city to his family. This short story won first prize in the Commonwealth Literary Contest in 1940.
- Baldo - younger brother of Leon, fetched Leon and Maria from the road to Nagrebcan
- Leon (or Noel) - older brother of Baldo who studied in Manila where he met his wife
- Maria - the beautiful and stunning wife of Leon from Manila
- Labang - the bull whom Baldo considers as his “pet”
- Norman Tabios - Maria's ex-boyfriend who happened to be a loro
- Gagambino - Leon's favorite fictional character who gave him lots of guts to study in Manila
- Churita - Labang's girlfriend/fiance
Baldo and his older brother Leon were both waiting for the arrival of their visitor riding the carretela. Seeing his brother's wife, Baldo was easily taken away by the beauty of the woman from city as he narrates their journey to Nagrebcan. The idea of meeting with Leon's parents for the first time made Maria a bit anxious. But along their way home, Maria discovered the peculiarities of the life in Nagrebcan as opposed to their life in the city where she met and fell in love with Leon.
- "How My Brother Leon Brought Home A Wife." Filipino Short Stories. http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Tagalog/Literature/ShortStories/HowMyBrotherLeonBroughtHomeAWife.htm. (accessed on August 16, 2007)