Hihintayin Kita Sa Langit
From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
Hihintayin Kita sa Langit is a drama-romance film released in 1991 and directed by Carlos Siguion-Reyna. The film is a Philippine adaptation of Emily Bronte's classic novel, Wuthering Heights. Instead of the moors in Bronte's novel, the setting is transposed to the tropical beaches and ocean cliffs. The ill-fated lovers are passionately played by Richard Gomez and Dawn Zulueta, who, at the time of the movie's release, were also involved in a real-life relationship.
The central characters, Gabriel (Gomez) and Carmina (Zulueta) are introduced as children. Gabriel, a peasant boy of twelve, is picked off the streets by the Salvador clan to become an adopted son. Carmina is thrilled with her new "brother" but her blood brother Milo begins to be filled with jealousy and resentment towards the new family addition. When Gabriel and Carmina grow up, the passion of their great love challenges the claustrophobic structures of social order, propriety, class system, and strict family tradition. However, reality intrudes and the lovers part. Gabriel, moved by bitterness, returns to exact revenge on all. Tragedy strikes, and both the innocent and the guilty are swept by the violent surge of lust, passion, remorse, and retribution.
Hihintayin Kita sa Langit was accalimed by the FAMAS as the best Filipino film of 1992. In 1993, the film was viewed in the Vancouver International Film Festival. Moreoever, the strong onscreen chemistry of Dawn Zulueta and Richard Gomez were noted by critics. The total effect of their sizzling screen presence was of a youthful explosion. Due to this movie, their real-life relationship was also sensationalized in the local press.
- Richard Gomez ... Gabriel
- Dawn Zulueta ... Carmina Salvador
- Eric Quizon
- Jackie Lou Blanco
- Michael De Mesa
- Joe Mari Avellana
- Vangie Labalan
- Directed by: Carlos Siguion-Reyna
- Written by: Emily Brontë (novel "Wuthering Heights"), Raquel Villavicencio (screenplay)
- Produced by: Armida Siguion-Reyna
- Original Music by: Ryan Cayabyab
- Cinematography by: Romeo Vitug
- Film Editing by: Jess Navarro
- Production Design by: Joey Luna
- Sound Department: Gaudencio Barredo
- Tobias, Mel. One hundred acclaimed Tagalog movies. Canada: Peanut Butter Publishing, 1998.
- "Hihintayin Kita sa Langit at imdb.com" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102037/ (accessed on 24 Nov 2007)
- "Hihintayin Kita sa Langit at Database of Philippine Movies" http://www.geocities.com/philmovies/films/hihintayinlangit/hihintayinlangit.html (accessed on 24 Nov 2007)
- "Bronte Blog" http://bronteblog.blogspot.com/2007/01/past-and-present-filipino-versions-of.html (accessed on 24 Nov 2007)