From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
 Legend of the Place
The name of the town was originated from a medicinal plant native in this place. It was the Agonoy plant that cured the illness of the inhabitants during that time. The place was a long ridge of land and had a lake in the end that was called as Wawa (it is now the part of San Sebastian & San Nicolas) where the first cross in town was erected by the Spaniards. According to the legend, the cross was buried in the heart of this town and every year it becomes more bigger because of faith of the Hagonoweños.
Once in 15th century, the friars took the river from Manila to the province of Bulacan then they got in the land that was called as Quinabalon which means Pinag-alaman. That time, a beautiful lady was so famous to all men of the place. Many suitors wanted to grabbed the hand of that beautiful lady. Until one day, the girl got ill and needed someone to get the medicinal plant near the river (that is now called as the Sapang Pari because of the friars and priests using that river to traveled in one place to another). That plant was the Agonoy.
So when a man asked the lady to got for her the plant, the girl promised him to marry. The man go ahead to the river to take the plant for the girl he loves. When he got there, a group of friars in a boat stopped him and asked: Quien vive? (meaning What place is this?). The man was frightened to the friars that was guarded by a Spanish civil guard so he refused to answer. The feared man answered quickly Agonoy po! (Agonoy sir!) without knowing that the friars asking for the name of the place and not what he had in his hands.
After he answered what the friars asked, the man ran rapidly. And the first Dominican friars noted that the place they landed was Hagonoy. From the medicinal plant Agonoy.
In the beginning, Hagonoy was just a part of Calumpit. Founded in 1771, although according to records and old folks, there were already inhabitants in some places of this town prior to 1771. These places were Tibaguin and Pugad, coastal barrios sharing coastline with the city of Manila and Tampok.
The town was then and still at present abundantly with Hagonoy plants nipa, aroma and many other tropical plants. Hagonoy leaves are considered medicinal and can be used as food ingredients. It thrived during that time along seashores. Because of the medicinal value of the plant, the news of its effectiveness spread leading the people to call the place "Hagonoy".
Hagonoy was already a thriving community even before the "blood compact" between Spain's Lagaspi and Philippines' Sikatuna in 1571. Magat Salamat, a hero in his own right, headed the town. He was descendant of today's Salamat families who are now living in different barrios of this town.
Hagonoy shares its boundary with the towns of Calumpit and Paombong in Bulacan and Masantol in Pampanga province. It is basically a fishing town with the Manila bay areas as its fishing ground, which extends up to the provinces of Cavite, Pampanga and Bataan.
Two fish ports, one in barrio San Pascual and the other at the Poblacion, are the busiest spots in the town. The coastal barrios are virtually "sleepless places" as fishermen go out to the sea at night for hours and even days while their loving wives, children and relatives wait for them. Upon their return, their catch is immediately sorted out and then sold at the public market here. Their catch is also marketed in nearby towns and Metro Manila.
The people of Hagonoy are known to be very hospitable. Visitors' to this place could attest to this especially during fiestas. They are treated with smiles by their hosts as they feast on sumptuous foods, especially prepared.
Yearly fiestas are held in this town to honor their patron saints. Many people of this town hold fiesta observance sacred. They are deeply attached to religion and are faithful to Christian life. Their religiousness is typically shown by the names of their barrios. Of the 26 barrios of this town, 19 were named after saints.
Hagonoy is politically subdivided into 26 barangays (7 urban, 19 rural).
 Municipal Officials
- Mayor Angel L. Cruz, Jr.
- Vice Mayor Elmer S. Santos
- Coun. Pedro S. Santos, Jr.
- Coun. Francis Dianne T. Cervantes
- Coun. Basilio R. Cruz, Jr.
- Coun. Jeric Guiam Contreras
- Coun. Lamberto T. Villanueva
- Coun. Dalisay 0. San Jose
- Coun. Kim Junior S. Laderas
- Coun. Luisito A. Libao
 Points of Interest
- National Shrine of St. Anne in the Philippines - the 16th century church that established by the Augustinian in Hagonoy and the only "National Shrine" built for the Mother of Our Virgin Mary here in the Philippines (with the relics of Sts. Anne and Joachim came from the International Shrine of St. Anne in Quebec, Canada.)
- Municipal Hall of Hagonoy - it is the most proud of hall of the Hagonoy's official.
- Bulacan Garden - the plants that grow in the land of Hagonoy. Located in San. Agustin Hagonoy, Bulacan