Guidebook for SSS Members

From Wikipilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

It is a fact that many employees are ignorant about SSS- how it works, how to register, about its benefits, and who are covered by it. This Guidebook for SSS Members is an information guide for all the SSS members and aims to inform everybody




Who are covered under the Social Security System?

A. Compulsory Coverage

1. Coverage of Employees

a. A private employee, whether permanent, temporary or provisional, not over 60 years of age.
b. Household-helper earning at least One Thousand (1,000) Philippine Peso a month is compulsory covered starting September 1, 1993.
c. A Filipino seafarer upon the signing of the standard contract of employment between the seafarer and the manning agency, which, together with the foreign ship owner, act as employers.
d. An employee of a foreign government, international organization or their wholly-owned instrumentality based in the Philippines, which enetered into an administrative agreement with the SSS for the coverage of its Filipino workers.
e. The parent, spouse or child below 21 years old of the owner of a single proprietorship business.

Effectivity for an employee starts on the first day of employment.

2. Coverage of Employers

a. An employer, or any person who uses the service of another person in business, tyrade and industry, or any other undertaking. A social, civic, professional, charitable and other non-profit organization which hire the services of employees are considered as "employers."
b. A foreign government, international organization or its wholly-owned instrumentality such as embassy in the Philippines, may enter into an administrative agreement with the SSS for the coverage of its Filipino employees.

Effectivity is on the first day the employer hires the employee. Employer is given 30 days to report the employee for coverage to the SSS through the SSS Form R-1A (Employment Report).

3. Coverage of Self-Employed Persons

A self-employed person, regardless of trade, business or occupation, with an income of at least P1,000 a month and not over 60 years of age, should register with the SSS. Included, but not limited to are the following self-employed persons: a. self-employed professionals; b. business partners, single proprietors, and board directors; c. actors, actresses, directors, scriptwriters and news correspondents who do not fall within the definition of the term "employee;" d. Professional athletes, coaches, trainers and jockeys; e. farmers and fisherfolks; f. workers in the informal sector such as cigarette vendors, watch-your-car-boys, hospitality girls, among others.

Effectivity is upon payment of the first valid contribution, in case of initial coverage. It does not mean that when you secure SS number, you are automatically covered as a member. One is considered a member if one have paid at least one month contribution.

B. Voluntary Coverage

1. Coverage of Separated Members - a member who is separated from employment or ceased to be self-employed/ OFW/ non-working spouse and would like to continue paying his/her contributions.

2. Coverage of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) - Filipino recruited by a foreign-based employer for employment abroad; having a source of income in a foreign country; and permanent resident in a foreign country.

3. Coverage of Non-working Spouse of SSS Members - person legally married to a currently employed and actively paying SSS member who devotes full time in the management of household and family affairs maybe covered on a voluntary basis provided there is approval of the working spouse. The person should never have been a member of the SSS. the contributions will be based on 50 per cent of the working spouse's last posted monthly salary credit but in no case shall it be lower than One Thousand (1,000) Philippine Peso.

Effectivity for an OFW is upon first payment of contribution, in case of initial contribution. For a non-working spouse, upon the first payment of contribution. For a separated member, on the month the person resumed payment of contribution.


For First Timers A person registering with the SSS for the first time as a prospective employee should accomplish SSS Form E-1 (Personal Record) and submit it together with the original or certified true copy and photocopy of any of the following:

  1. baptismal certificate;
  2. birth certificate;
  3. driver's license;
  4. passport;
  5. professional Regulation Commission (PRC) Card or Seaman's Book.

In the absence of these documents, any of the two of the following, one of which with recent photo and date of birth, are acceptable.

However, surviving spouses and guardians aged 60 and above securing an SS number for the Annual Confirmation of Pensioners (ACOP) program, may be allowed to submit secondary documents with recent photo and age:

  • Alien Certificate of Registration
  • ATM card with the cardholder’s name
  • ATM card and certification from the issuing bank that the account number belongs to the cardholder, if the card does not bear the cardholder’s name.
  • Bank Account Passbook
  • Birth/Baptismal Certificate of children
  • Certificate form:
-Office of the Southern/Northern Cultural Communities
-Office of Muslim Affairs
  • Certificate of Naturalization issued by the Bureau of Immigration
  • Company ID
  • Company Representative Authorization Card issued by SSS
  • Credit Card
  • Fishermen’s Card issued by Bureau of Fisheries & Aquatic Resources (BFAR)
  • GSIS Card
  • GSIS Certificate of Membership
  • Health or Medical Card
  • ID Card issued by Local Government Units (e.g. Barangay/ Municipality/City)
  • ID Card issued by professional associations recognized by PRC
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Marriage Contract
  • NBI Clearance
  • Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) Card
  • Pag-Ibig Member’s Data Form
  • Permit to Carry Firearms issued by the Firearms & Explosives Unit of the Philippine National Police (PNP)
  • PHIC Member’s Data Record
  • Police Clearance
  • Postal ID Card
  • School ID
  • Senior Citizen Card
  • Tax Identification Card/Affidavit
  • Transcript of School Records
  • Voter’s Identification Card/Affidavit

A married person should also submit a marriage contract upon registration. If with reported children, the birth or baptismal certificate/s of child/ren, if legitimate; should be submitted; if reporting legitimated child/ren birth certificate with annotation “legitimated;” decree of adoption, if legally adopted-children. If reporting illegitimate children, birth or baptismal certificate(s) of children.

In the absence, any of the following stating the relationship to the reported dependent/beneficiary:

1. School Record 2. Insurance Policy 3. Statement before a court

The original or certified true copies of the documents should be presented to the SSS for authentication purposes.

For Self-Employed Members

A self-employed person should accomplish SSS Form RS-1 (Self-Employed Data Record) and submit it together with a photocopy of any of the following baptismal, birth certificate, driver’s license, passport, Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) Card, Seaman’s Book. In the absence of these documents, any two of the secondary documents mentioned earlier.

A self-employed member who has employees, should also register as an employer and secure an employer ID number which the company must use in all transactions with the SSS.

For Voluntary Members

Separated Members

A member who is separated from employment or ceases to be self-employed/OFW/non-working spouse may continue paying contributions through SSS Form RS-5 using the previously assigned SS number. Posting of said payment will change the membership status from covered employee, self-employed, OFW or non-working spouse to a voluntary paying member.

Non-Working Spouses

A non-working spouse should accomplish SSS Form NW-1 (Non-Working Spouse Record) and submit it, duly signed by the working spouse, with a copy of their marriage certificate.

Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs)

An OFW should accomplish SSS Form OW-1 (Overseas Worker Record) and submit it together with a photocopy of the following: birth certificate, baptismal certificate, driver’s license, valid passport copy all pages, Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) Card, Job Contract/Employment certificate and Job Offer letter.

[link title]===SSS Forms=== There are different forms to be filled up upon registration with SSS, depending on the purpose. Here is a table of the SSS forms:

E-1 Personal Record
E-4 Mamber's Data Amendent Form
E-6 Application for Social Security ID
NW-1 Non-working Spouse Record
RS-1 Self-Employed Data Record
R-1 Employer Registration
R1-A Employment Report
Bmbr-119 Auto-Debit Arrangement Enrollment Form
Bmbr-119a Auto-Debit Arrangement Amendment Form
R-7 Application for Electronic Data Interchange
ACOP Form Annual Confirmation of Pensioners Reply Form
R-3 Contribution Collection List
R-5 Contributions Payment Return
RS-5 Contributions Payment Return for Self-employed & Voluntary
Member Loans
L-501 Specimen Signature Card
ISL-101 Salary Loan Application
ML-1 Member Loan Payment Return
REL-9 Real Estate Loan Payment Return
Stock Forms Condonation of penalties on stock loans
Application Form Condonation, Restructuring and Dacion en Pago
Programs for Delinquent Housing Loan Borrowers
Application Form Moratorium Program in the Payment of Member
Application Form Application for Penalty Condonation
Benefit Applications
B-300 EC Claim for Temporary Total Disability or Sickness
B-301 EC Medical Reimbursement Benefit Application
BPN-103 Claim for Funeral Benefit
CLD-9N/9A Claim for Sickness Benefit
DDR-1 Claim for Retirement Benefit
DDR-1 Claim for Disability Benefit
DDR-1 Claim for Death Benefit
MAT-1/2 Claim for Maternity Benefit
Flexi-Fund Program
OW-1/DDR-2 SSS Flexi-Fund for overseas Filipino workers

Note: Forms with two (2) pages need to be printed back to back.

External Link


  • "Guidebook for SSS Members, Social Security System." Quezon City: 10th Edition, May 2007.
  • SSS Official Website



Original content from WikiPilipinas. under GNU Free Documentation License. See full disclaimer.