|Type of site||online search engine|
|Available language(s):||Filipino and english|
Google.com is widely recognized as the world's largest search engine. It is an easy-to-use free service that usually returns relevant results in a fraction of a second. It's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful.
Google.com.ph is one of Google's domain where Filipinos can search almost anything and everything about informations, products and services online using the vernacular and will yield related entries in the same language.
Features of the Website
- Book Search - Searches the full text of books.
- Cached Links - Views a snapshot of each page as it looked when indexed.
- Calculator - Evaluates mathematical expressions.
- Currency Conversion - Performs any currency conversion.
- Definitions - Gets glossary definitions gathered from various online sources.
- File Types - Searches for non-HTML file formats including PDF documents and others.
- Groups - Searches relevant postings from Google Groups in your regular web search results.
- I'm Feeling Lucky - Bypass search results and go to the first web page returned for your query.
- Images - Gives relevant images in your regular web search results.
- Local Search - Searches for local businesses and services in the U.S., U.K. and Canada.
- Movies - Finds reviews and showtimes for movies playing near you.
- Music Search - Gives quick access to a wide range of music information.
- News Headlines - Enhances one's search results with the latest related news stories.
- PhoneBook - Looks up U.S. street address and phone number information.
- Product Search - Finds a product for sale online, use Google Product Search.
- Q&A - Gives quick answers to straightforward questions.
- Refine Your Search - Adds instant info and topic-specific links to your search in order to focus and improve your results.
- Results Prefetching - Makes searching in Firefox faster.
- Search By Number - Uses Google to access package tracking information, US patents, and a variety of online databases.
- Similar Pages - Displays pages that are related to a particular result.
- Site Search - Restricts your search to a specific site.
- Spell Checker - Offers alternative spelling for queries.
- Stock and Fund Quotes - Gives up-to-date stock and mutual fund quotes and information.
- Street Maps - Finds U.S. street maps.
- Travel Information - Checks the status of an airline flight in the U.S. or view airport delays and weather conditions.
- Weather - Checks the current weather conditions and forecast for any location in the U.S.
- Web Page Translation - Provides you access to web pages in other languages.
- Who Links To You? - Find pages that point to a specific URL.
The word Google originated from the word "Googol," a mathematical term for a 1 followed by 100 zeros. The term was created by Milton Sirotta, nephew of American mathematician Edward Kasner. It was popularized in the book, "Mathematics and the Imagination" by Kasner and James Newman. The company played on the term reflecting its mission to organize the immense amount of information available on the web.
Google provides information in many different languages where one can check stock quotes, maps, news headlines, phonebook listings for every city in the United States, search billions of images and other questions that needs to be answered. A single search reveals four of their special features: speed, accuracy, objectivity and ease of use.
Google also provide ways to access all information without returning to the Google homepage. The Google Toolbar enables you to conduct a Google search from anywhere on the web. It can also be used from a number of wireless platforms including WAP and i-mode phones.