Good Shepherd Cathedral School
From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
Good Shepherd Cathedral School
|Motto||Nobilitas, Excellentia, Ministerii|
|Tagline||Where Christian Formation and Catholic Education are at their Best!|
|Type||Private Sectarian School|
|Religious Affiliation||Diocese of Novaliches|
|Chairman||Most Rev. Antonio R. Tobias, D.D.|
|Principal||Dr. Carina G. Dacanay|
|Director||Rev. Fr. Albert N. Delvo|
|Location||Fairview, Quezon City, Philippines|
The Good Shepherd Cathedral School (GSCS) is a Filipino Catholic school located at Omega Avenue corner Rado Street, Fairview Park, Quezon City, Philippines. It is situated at the back of the Cathedral Shrine and Parish of the Good Shepherd, the seat of the Bishop of the Diocese of Novaliches. The Good Shepherd Cathedral School is one of the 8 member-schools of the Roman Catholic Bishop of Novaliches Educational System (RCBN-ES) and also a member of the Manila Archdiocesan and Parochial Schools Association (MAPSA).
Facilitated by competent educators (both religious and lay), GSCS uses Gospel values with religion as the core of the curriculum to develop academic competence in students as well as to deepen their spiritual values. The school continues to work towards achieving its mission of providing children with an excellent Catholic education and Christian formation.
The Good Shepherd Cathedral School, formerly known as Good Shepherd Parish Academy or GSPA, began as a preschool in 1995. Founded by the ertswhile pastor of the Good Shepherd Parish, Msgr. Fidelis Ruben F. Limcaco, it was simply known then as Good Shepherd Parish Learning Center. This school for children was part of the many beautiful projects that Msgr. Fidelis had undertaken in his 27 years of service to the parishioners of Fairview. With the help of Dr. Carina G. Dacanay as School Principal, the school has grown and developed complete services of preschool and grade school.
In August 1, 2002, upon the retirement of Msgr. Fidelis, Msgr. Jesus-Romulo C. Rañada, the former Rector of San Carlos Seminary, took over the directorship of the school. It was during his time that the school expanded further and established a high school and a Center for Integral Evangelization (CIE). It was also during Msgr. Romy's term that the GSCS Main Building was built. In 2003, after the Good Shepherd Parish was elevated to the status of a cathedral of the newly-established Diocese of Novaliches, the school was renamed as Good Shepherd Cathedral School.
On May 13, 2007, the Most Reverend Antonio R. Tobias, D.D., Bishop of the Diocese of Novaliches, appointed Rev. Fr. Albert N. Delvo as the new School Director of GSCS, in concurrent capacity as Superintendent of the Roman Catholic Bishop of Novaliches Educational System (RCBN-ES). Fr. Albert's coming signified the direction of Bishop Tobias towards unification of all the RCBN-ES schools under one directorship.
With the bishop's and the school’s Board of Trustees' splendid inspiration, the curia’s solid support, and Dr. Dacanay’s exuberant and effective cooperation, Fr. Albert made possible the construction of a new four-storey building named as the HEART Building (His Excellency Antonio R. Tobias Building) with big classrooms, air-conditioned library, air-conditioned speech lab with state-of-the-art equipments, air-conditioned faculty room, and an ECE Learning Center.
In 2010, GSCS marked another milestone in its history when it celebrated its 15th founding anniversary with activities such as Parents & Teachers Got Talent Too and Mr. and Ms. GSCS 2010. The year-long celebration culminated with the school's production of the musical The Dreamer (an adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat) which showcased the superb talents of GSCS students. The musical received generally positive reactions from those who watched it, including Bishop Tobias himself.
The Good Shepherd Cathedral School is a diocesan and Filipino school committed to giving preparatory and basic education that is grounded on the faith of the Catholic Church. With zeal, it gives our students integral formation and make them active witnesses to the ideals of nobility of character (nobilitas), academic excellence (excellentia) and compassionate service (ministerii) in living, learning and loving like Jesus the Good Shepherd.
In order to realize its avowed vision-mision, the school aims to:
1. Make GSCS an institution of learning to provide academic excellence with Christian spirituality as its core through Gospel values integrated in all learning areas;
2. Promote the spirit of good character through relative inquiry, critical thinking, and moral decision-making in the face of the ever growing complexity of living in pluralistic society;
3. Advocate compassion to serve through active involvement in upholding Catholic teachings pertinent to current moral, social and ethical issues.
 Institutional Goals
1. To sustain the holistic development of the child in its academic offerings through a developmentally appropriate curriculum rooted in Gospel values;
2. To provide a wide range of opportunities in addressing the needs of every student where character is formed through contemporary theories and research-based findings on effective teaching and learning;
3. To encourage concern for others through creativity and innovation in an environment where every experience is seen as a learning opportunity.
 Curricular Offerings
- Preschool (Nursery-Kinder-Prep)
- Complete Elementary Course (Grades 1-6)
- High School (1st Year to 4th Year)
 GSCS Hymn
The hymn was composed by Mrs. Carolina Dimaano and arranged by Mr. Miyer Bernabe.
I hear the Shepherd's voice
Gathering us all,
To see the beauty of the world
And feel the love of all.
To know what's right or wrong
With fearless hearts lead on,
And someday to revive the land
With God above us all.
Bright with the Spirit's light.
Shine on, shine on
I praise my God for thee.
Alma Mater Dear,
Forever and ever
My heart shall burn for thee.
- “Good Shepherd Cathedral School”.PHILIPPINECompanies.com.Accessed on February 15, 2011
- “Good Shepherd Cathedral School”.JobStreet.com.Accessed on February 15, 2011
 External Links
- “School Profile”.DepEd.Accessed on February 15, 2011