Enrico R. Echiverri
Enrico "Recom" Reantillo Echiverri (born 18 November 1954) is a lawyer, professor, and politician. He is the incumbent mayor of Caloocan City. He is married to Purificacion Manalatan of Nueva Ecija and Batangas, with whom he has five children.
Echiverri spent his grade school years at Morning Breeze Elementary School and finished high school at Araneta University Foundation High School in 1971. He took up Bachelor of Arts in Economics at San Beda College. Upon graduation, he studied at the Ateneo de Manila University and finished his degree in Bachelor of Laws in 1981.
Before he entered politics, Echiverri served as an arbiter and conciliator at the Department of Labor and Employment from 1981 to 1988 and simultaneously as legal counsel for J. Antonio Leviste Company from 1984 to 1988. He was also appointed Director of the Videogram Regulatory Board in early 1990s.
His political career began when he was elected city councilor in Caloocan from 1988 to 1992. In 1995, he worked as secretary to the mayor until he ran for congress in 1998. He became the representative of the first district of Caloocan in the House of Representatives from 1998 to 2004. He was also a law professor in four universities, namely Maryknoll College, San Beda College, Far Eastern University and Manila Central University.
In 2004, Echiverri ran for mayor in Caloocan under the Liberal Party and defeated Luis Asistio and Roberto Cordero in the race. Through his administrative slogan, Reform Caloocan, Echiverri implemented the Medium-Term Development Plan that aims to create more infrastructures; develop hospitals and health services; make a cleaner city; increase social services, livelihood, and housing programs; crime prevention; create a better water system; build an ecopark, zo,o and a planetarium; build more school buildings and day care centers, streetlights, sports centers, and covered courts; and enhance the educational system of the University of Caloocan.
He is now in his second term.
Awards and Honors
- Dangal ng Bayan Award for Public Service, 12th Annual Asia-Pacific Excellence Award
- Huwarang Ama for Public Service / Outstanding Father of the Year, National Mother's Day & Father's Day Awards
- Innovative Solutions to Dumps and Waste Award (“Out of the Box Award”), Mother Earth Foundation
- Bagong Bayani ng Caloocan Award, Humanitarian Mission
- Recognition Award for the successful & effective implementation of DILG-NCR Programs, Department of Interior and Local Government
- Plaque of Merit, 2nd Best City Police Station of the Year, Philippine National Police
- Distinguished Public Service Award - Exemplary Performance as a Leader, Integrated Bar of the Philippines
- Hall of Fame Awardee, Most Outstanding Congressman, Congress Magazine, Makati Graduate School & Metropolitan Disseminators of Information Association (MEDIA)
- Hon. Ramon V. Mitra Bedan Award for Legislation
- "Huwarang Filipino Awardee for Government & Public Service," Gintong Anak/Ina Awards, Parangal ng Bayan Foundation
- "Outstanding Legislator of the Year, Public Servant of the New Millennium,” Phil. Media Research and Progress Report Inc.
- 2003 Year-Ender Excellence Award, National Consumers Affairs Foundation
- Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary International
- Most Outstanding City Councilor, Association of Barangay Council, 1992
- Most Outstanding Alumnus, Araneta University Foundation High School
- Plaques of Recognition for Outstanding Performance and Service as City Mayor of Caloocan City: Department of Education • Department of Interior and Local Government • Department of Environment & Natural Resources • Department of Social Welfare & Development • Department of Labor and Employment • Department of Finance • Department of Health • Department of Urban Social and Industrial Relation Service • Bureau of Internal Revenue • Bureau of Fire Protection • Division of City Schools • Philippine National Police-NCRPO • Bureau of Jail Management and Penology • Office of Civil Defense-NCR • National Solid Waste Management Commission • National Commission for Culture and the Arts • National Press Club • National Historical Institute • TESDA • Philippine Olympic Committee • League of Cities of the Philippines • Vice Mayors League of the Philippines • Liga ng mga Barangay • Integrated Bar of the Philippines • Caloocan City Cooperative Development Council • Plaque of Recognition, Philippine National Red Cross • Mother Earth Foundation • Knights of Columbus • Citizens Crime Watch • Caloocan City Personnel Multi-Purpose Cooperative • ABS-CBN Foundation, Inc. • National Federation of Motorcycle Clubs • Civilian Assistance for Rescue in Emergency Volunteers & Communications Group, Inc. • Rotary Club • JC Leaders International • Lions Club • Prosecutors Association • Brotherhood of Christian Businessmen and Professionals • NOVADECI • Colleges and Universities Sports Association • Caloocan Industrial City Industry Owners Association, Inc. • Philippine Rural Construction Movement • Caloocan City Filipino–Chinese Chamber of Commerce • The Democratic Socialist Women of the Philippines • Kiwanis International • PAJOTAN Sto. Niño Festival • Caloocan City Filipino-Chinese Fire Prevention Association, Inc. • Caloocan Dental Society • Order of the Knights of Rizal at Kababaihan Rizalista • Alay-Lakad Foundation, Inc. • Philippine Association of Civil Registrars • Urban Poor Institute for Community Building, Inc. • Damayan ng Magkakapitbahay, Inc. • Small and Medium Enterprises Development Council-NCR • United Architects of the Philippines
In January 2012, Echiverri faced a suspension order by the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) in connection with his alleged failure to remit the city government officials’ Government Service Insurance System contributions which amounts to P38 million. However, The Caloocan City Regional Trial Court issued a temporary restraining order, stopping the DILG from implementing a six-month preventive suspension order against Echiverri, city treasurer Evelina Garma, budget officer Jesusa Garcia, and city accountant Edna Centeno.
- Mangunay, Kristine Felisse. Court issues 3-day TRO vs Echiverri suspension order. inquirer.net.
- Placido, Dharel. Court extends TRO vs Echiverri suspension. abs-cbnnews.com. Accessed on 22 March 2012.
- Personal Information: ECHIVERRI, Enrico Reantillo i-site.ph. Accessed on 22 March 2012.
- Atty. Enrico “Recom” Echiverri. caloocancity.gov.ph. Accessed on 22 March 2012.
- ‘Reform Caloocan Program’ pinalawig. philstar.com. Accessed on 22 March 2012.
- Mission Vision. caloocancity.gov.ph. Accessed on 22 March 2012.
- Mayor ENRICO “RECOM” ECHIVERRI. caloocancity.gov.ph. Accessed on 22 March 2012.
- Enrico Echiverri. pinoyvote.net. Accessed on 22 March 2012.