Down Syndrome Association of the Philippines
Down Syndrome Association of the Philippines, Inc. (DSAPI) is a support organization for Down Syndrome. The organization was established in 1992 by parents and physicians. Its purpose was to help families of children who were born with Down Syndrome. Part of the organizations objectives is to provide proper knowledge regarding the syndrome in order to foster greater understanding towards individuals who have Downs and to address the needs DS (Down Syndrome) individuals so that they may have greater quality of life.
Advocacy is among the most important functions of DSAPI as the concerns of families and persons with DS are brought out to the public in a manner that is intended to change the perception of DS and those affected by it.
DSAPI holds regular programs such as seminars and free clinics, as well as informal discussion groups wherein members can exchange information and experiences to aid each other in caring for a child with DS. Workers of DSAPI are mainly parent, caregiver, or medical volunteers who wish to give DS individuals a chance for a better life.
Among DSAPI's programs are:
- Parent Support
- Early Intervention Seminar - an introduction to caring for a child (from 0-2 years old) with DS. Includes talks on Medical Concerns, Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapy. Also has a helpful sharing session where parents can voice out their experiences of learning, for the first time, their child's condition.
- Y2K Seminar - a seminar on the concerns of parents and caregivers of DS children, aged 2-5 years old. Includes talks on psychological development, discipline, and education.
- Awareness Seminar
- Medical Advisory Committee
- Free Clinic - held once a year, usually in the Paco Sports Complex. The free clinic has doctors to address visual, hearing, cardiac, and thyroid concerns, among others.
- Fund raising
- Events and Socials - these include the Annual Christmas Party, golf tournaments for fund raising, among others.
- Buddy Walk - the main activity held during Down Syndrome Awareness Month. DS children, with their families, caregivers, and volunteers hold an awareness walk, usually around one of the Metro Manila Malls. In February 2008, the Buddy Walk will be held at SM Mall of Asia on February 17.
- Special Olympics
- Public Relations
Down Syndrome Month
In collaboration with the Department of Education, DSAPI has been successful in instituting February as the National Down Syndrome Consciousness Month. During the month of February, Association members and volunteers organize several activities and make the media rounds in order to promote accurate knowledge about Down Syndrome.
For the past two years, DSAPI members have been guesting at Salamat Doc during the month of February in order to talk about the effects of Down Syndrome as well as how someone with DS can enrich the life of a family.
- DOWN SYNDROME ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES, INC.
- 2nd Floor, 6372 Agrifina Building, Camia corner Meleguas Streets, Guadalupe Viejo, Makati City.
- Tel. Nos.: (02) 895-96-42 or (02) 895-36-06
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website : www.dsapi.org
- DSAPI-Davao Branch Office
- c/o Trinitas EENT Health Clinic, Cembrano Bldg. 412 Malvar Street, Davao City
- Telefax No.: (82) 305-51-96
- E-mail: email@example.com
- DSAPI-Cebu Branch Office
- 8th Floor, Cebu Holdings Building, Cebu Business Park, Cebu City
- Tel. No.: (32) 415-83-30 local 807
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DSAPI pamphlet
- DSAPI website