De La Salle University
|De La Salle University|
|Founder||De La Salle Brother|
|Address||2401 Taft Avenue, Manila|
De La Salle University-Manila (DLSU-M, La Salle Taft, or simply La Salle) is a private Catholic university which was established on 16 June 1911 by the De La Salle Brothers on Calle Nozaleda in Paco, Manila at the request of Archbishop Jeremiah James Harty. The University is located on Taft Avenue in the district of Malate in Manila. It offers programs in undergraduate and graduate levels covering various fields in business and economics, engineering, science, liberal arts, education and computer studies.
In 1921, the campus was moved to its present location on 2401 Taft Avenue in Malate. The school originally was exclusively for boys until 1973 when it opened its doors to women. The university draws inspiration from the life and works of the institution's founder, Saint John Baptist de La Salle.
DLSU-Manila is the oldest campus of De La Salle Philippines, a system composed of 18 Lasallian institutions in the Philippines established in 2006 to replace the De La Salle University System. The university has contributed much on the development of the other campuses of the system in the past, and is commonly referred to as the Main Campus or La Salle Main However, usage of the term is often discouraged because all DLSP member schools are independent and are not centralized on the main campus.
The university’s programs are arranged in a trimestral calendar which consists of three regular trimesters of about 13-14 weeks each and a trimestral breaks of about two weeks each. Under this calendar, the subjects for each trimester follow an evenly-paced schedule.
The university’s colors are Green and White, with the color green adopted as a tribute to Ireland, where the first batch of Brothers came from, while white represents the Philippines, pearly white from the "Pearl of the Orient Seas".
The official mascots of the university are also green archers: Gordo, a fat archer, Flaco, a thin archer, and Sally, a lady archer.
De La Salle College was founded when the Brothers of the Christian Schools opened their first school in the Philippines on Calle Nozaleda in Paco in the city of Manila in 1911. Spanish was the medium of instruction of the first classes wherein the class composed of 125 boys of varying ages and grade levels. During the early years, the Brothers were allowed to offer the full primary and intermediate programs and a three-year commercial secondary school program. The Commercial High School Diploma was first conferred in 1915 to three graduates. In November 1917, the school was allowed to confer an Associate in Arts degree.
The Brothers made a decision to build a new school in Taft Avenue due to the growing population of students and the inadequate area that the Nozaleda Campus in Paco had to offer. Br. Acisclus Michael FSC then secured a vacant space at the southernmost boundary of Manila. The Paco property was bought in March 19, 1920 by a wealthy shipping magnate. Classes on the Taft campus formally started in October 31, 1921, while the building was completed in December 15, 1924. In 1920, the school opened a two-year commercial course. The school's catalog for 1925 listed courses for an Associate in Arts, a two-year Commerce curriculum, and a Bachelor of Arts and a Master of Arts although these last two degrees were never conferred before World War II. In 1930, the College was authorized to confer the degrees of Bachelor of Science in Education and Master of Science of Education. The last pre-war arts degree holders graduated in 1931. The Associate in Arts program was then discontinued because of the department's lack of staff. The Bachelor of Science in Commerce degree was first conferred in 1931 after a third year had been added to the initial two-year program.
During the Second World War, the Japanese forces in Manila forcibly took over the College grounds and turned the campus into defense quarters. Classes still went on even with the limited curriculum that they had to offer due to the invasion. With the presence of war and the bombing that accompanied it, the vicinity resulted in total destruction of several campus facilities such as the college gymnasium, its library holdings, as well as laboratory equipment. On February 12, 1945, as American forces were making their way back to Manila and its environs, a small group of Japanese soldiers massacred 16 Christian Brothers, as well as several families who had taken refuge with them in the school chapel.
When the war ended, the imprisoned American Brothers were brought back home from the Los Baños concentration camp. Classes resumed in July of 1945 in spite of what the school had gone through. That same year, 60 boys graduated from high school at the end of the school year. Recognizing the role of education in reconstructing the Philippines, the Brothers expanded the Commerce curriculum into a four-year program.
The post-war years was the time when the establishment of numerous undergraduate schools and units. In 1947, the undergraduate school of College of Engineering was established, followed by the College of Arts and Sciences (1953), the College of Education (1959), Industrial Technology (1973), and Career Development (1980), Graduate School of Business Administration (1960), College of Industrial Technology (1979). In 1981, the Center for Planning, Information, and Computer Science was organized prompting the initial offering of the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science program. Beginning school year 1984-85, the Computer Science Program was spun off as a program under the College of Computer Studies. In 1982, the La Salle Teacher Training Center was put up to revive an earlier education program and in 1987, this center was elevated to the La Salle School of Education.
The events of the 1970s were crucial to the development of De La Salle as a social institution. 1973 was the time when the College began admitting female into the institution. That same year, a blueprint called De La Salle Ten Years was published, projecting the planned improvements of the school from 1973 to 1983, and was updated yearly.
On February 19, 1975, De La Salle College was granted university status and became known as De La Salle University. Another milestone school year was 1981-1982, when the university adopted the year-round trimestral calendar for all units instead of the traditional semestral academic schedule. In 1987, the De La Salle University System was established under the term of Br. Andrew Gonzalez FSC and the university became known as De La Salle University-Manila.
In March 28, 1994, De La Salle University-Manila had full Internet connection, and was one of the first Philippine schools to be connected to the Internet. The University then created its official website, in December of the same year. In 1996, graduate and undergraduate students were given internet accounts, and the university became the first Philippine educational institution online. During school year 1995-1996, DLSU Professional Schools was established, comprising the College of Computer Studies and the Graduate School of Business. Both were granted semi-autonomous status, which allowed them certain freedom to come up with their own academic and hiring policies, pay scale, among other things. In 2002, the College of Computer Studies was reintegrated into DLSU-Manila.
In July 2006, De La Salle-Professional Schools, Inc. separated from DLSU-Manila making it fully autonomous. In October 2006, Globe Telecom introduced the Animo SIM, a personalized SIM card for DLSU-Manila students. The Animo SIM contains all the usual features of a regular Globe SIM card with additional features. Students will be able to follow up their grades and schedules and receive special announcements from the university through SMS, and have their own personalized La Salle menus using the SIM. In March 2007, the College of Computer Studies was recognized as Center of Excellence for Information Technology by the Commission on Higher Education.
Programs and Services
The university is composed of six colleges which provide undergraduate and graduate programs:
- College of Business and Economics (1920)
- College of Computer Studies (1981)
- College of Education (1936)
- College of Engineering(1947)
- College of Liberal Arts(1982)
- College of Science (1982)
Centers of Excellence
- Chemical Engineering (lone accreditation in the Philippines)
- Electronics and Communications Engineering
- Filipino language
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Engineering (lone accreditation in the Philippines)
Centers of Development
- Business Management
- Civil Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Advanced Research in Computing (AdRIC)
- Angelo King Institute for Economics and Business Studies (AKI)
- American Studies Resource Center
- Bienvenido N. Santos Creative Writing Center
- Brother Alfred Shields FSC Marine Biological Station in Matuod, Batangas
- Center for Business and Economics Research and Development (CBERD)
- Center for Educational Media (CREM)
- Center for Engineering and Sustainable Development Research
- Center for Engineering Research, Training and Consultancy
- Center for Natural Sciences and Environmental Research (CENSER)
- Center of Research in Advanced Information and Computing Technology (CReATe)
- CHED-Zonal Research Center
- Culture and Cognition Research Laboratory (CCRL)
- Educational Management Center
- European Documentation and Research Centre (EDRC)
- Laboratoryo sa Pananaliksik sa Sikolohiya (LAPIS) (Laboratory for Research in Psychology)
- Lasallian Institute for Development and Educational Research (LIDER)
- La Salle Institute for Governance] (LSIG)
- Science and Technology Research Center (STRC)
- Social Development Research Center (SDRC)
- Yuchengco Center (YC)
Student Personnel Services
The university sponsors and implements a comprehensive student services program coordinated by the Dean of Student Affairs, with the aim of developing the full potential of each student.
Cultural Arts Office
The Cultural Arts Office takes care of tapping and developing the talents of Lasallian students through its different cultural organizations.
The CAO consists of eight performing groups:
- DLSU Chorale - The official student chorale group of the university, established in 1987. It performs in various gatherings, concerts and functions both locally and abroad.
- DLSU Chamber Ensemble
- DLSU Pops Orchestra
- DLSU Pep Squad
- De La Salle Innersoul - pop group singing ministry. The group has produced popular Philippine music groups such as South Border and 17:28.
- Harlequin Theatre Guild
- La Salle Dance Company-Jazz
- La Salle Dance Company-Street
- La Salle Dance Company-Folk
The CAO is also comprised of Student Support Groups, consisting of the following:
- Student Artist Managers
- Green Media Group
Office of Sports Development (OSD)
The OSD is responsible for the development and implementation of the university's Sports Program through the recruitment and training of varsity athletes. The OSD oversees varsity teams in Track and Field, Badminton, Basketball, Chess, Fencing, Football, Judo, Lawn Tennis, Softball, Swimming, Taekwondo, Table Tennis, Volleyball, and Cheerleading.
Clubs have also been organized to harness students’ talents and include the Arnis Team, the Dragon Boat Team, the Hockey Club, the Iron Works Club, the Karatedo Club, DLSU Rowing, Sarian and the Yonshinkan Aikido Club.
Student Publications Office
The office provides opportunities for student writers to improve on their craft through practice, interaction, and instructions in journalism and creative writing. It also provides advice to student writers on matters concerning campus press operation and management, and encourages freshmen to get involved in the publications and develops a pool of talents who are able to serve in the school papers.
The following are autonomous organizations and publications but the office extends them editorial and technical advice:
- The LaSallian
- Ang Pahayagang Plaridel
- Green and White
- The Malate Literary Folio
- It is the first of only two universities in the Philippines to earn a Level IV accreditation—the highest possible level—granted by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges, and Universities (PAASCU)
- It is also selected by ASEAN along with the University of the Philippines to be part of the ASEAN University Network.
- The university, together with the Ateneo de Manila University, established the world renowned Asian Institute of Management, offering full-time business graduate education in Asia.