The Cinemalaya Philippine Independent Film Festival 2012, popularly referred to as Cinemalaya 2012, is a competition for independent films which aims to promote, encourage, and honor the cinematic works of Filipino filmmakers who present bold, fresh artistic insights on the lives of the Filipinos.
The film festival, which was organized by the Cinemalaya Foundation, Inc. and the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP), was held from 21 to 29 July 2012. The film which opened the competition was acclaimed Director Mario O' Hara's piece, Babae sa Breakwater.
Competing films were shown, at PHP 150 per head per screening, at CCP, Trinoma and Greenbelt. Festival passes and discounts were available only for CCP screenings. Tickets were discounted at 50 percent for students and 20 for senior citizens and government and military personnel. The Festival Pass (PHP 3,000 per head) offered unlimited admission to all festival screenings and a complimentary souvenir program. The Films-in-Competition (FIC) Pass (PHP 2,000 per head) offered unlimited admission to all Films-in-Competition as well as a complimentary souvenir program. The One-Day pass (PHP 500 per head) offered admission to a maximum of four (4) screenings during one (1) day. Tickets were available at CCP, Trinoma and Greenbelt.
Cinemalaya 2012 Competition Finalists
New Breed Short Film Category
- Bohe: Sons of the Waves by Nadjoua E. Bansil
- Pasahero by Mario Celeda
- As He Sleeps by Sheron Dayoc
- Balintuna by Emmanuel Escalona Jr.
- Victor by Jarell M. Serencio
- Ang Paghihintay sa Bulong by Sigrid Andrea P. Bernardo
- Manenaya (Waiting) by Richard Legaspi
- Ruweda by Hannah Espia
- Sarong Aldaw by Marianito Dio Jr.
- Ulian (Senility) by Chuck Gutierrez
New Breed Full-Length
- Ang Katiwala (The Caretaker) by Aloy Adlawan
- Ang Nawawala (What Isn't There) by Marietta "Marie" Jamora
- Oros by Paul Sta. Ana and Obet Villela
- Apparition by Vincent Sandoval / Darlene Malimas
- Mga Dayo (Resident Aliens) by Julius Sotomayor Cena
- Diablo by Mes De Guzman
- Intoy Syokoy ng Kalye Marino by Lemuel Lorca and Jerry Gracio
- REQUIEME by Loy Arcenas
- Santa Nina by Emmanuel Q.Palo
- The Animals by Gino Santos
- Bwakaw by Jun Lana
- Kalayaan (Wildlife) by Adolfo B. Alix Jr.
- Kamera Obskura by Raymond Red
- Posas by Lawrence Fajardo
- Mga Mumunting Lihim by Jose Javier Reyes
Cinemalaya 2012 winners
Audience Choice Award
- Shorts: Hannah Espia’s Rueda
- Directors Showcase: Jun Lana’s Bwakaw
- New Breed: Marie Jamora’s Ang Nawawala
Special Jury Award
- Shorts: Richard Legaspi’s Mananeya
- Directors Showcase: Raymond Red’s Kamera Obskura
- New Breed: Loy Arcenas’ Requime!
- Best Screenplay for Shorts: Sigrid Andrea Bernardo, Paghihintay sa Bulong
Directors Showcase category
- Best Sound: Ditoy Aguila, Kalayaan
- Best Original Music Score: Diwa de Leon, Kamera Obskura
- Best Editing: Vanessa de Leon, Mga Mumunting Lihim
- Best Production Design: Adolfo Alix Jr., Kalayaan
- Best Cinematography: Albert Banzon, Kalayaan
- Best Screenplay: Jose Javier Reyes, Mga Mumunting Lihim
- Best Supporting Actor: Art Acuna, Posas
- Best Supporting Actress: Iza Calzado, Judy Ann Santos, Janice de Belen and Agot Isidro, Mga Mumunting Lihim
- Best Actor: Eddie Garcia, Bwakaw
- Best Actress: Iza Calzado, Judy Ann Santos, Janice de Belen and Agot Isidro, Mga Mumunting Lihim
New Breed category
- Best Sound: Addiss Tabong and Mike Idioma, Aparisyon
- Best Original Music Score: Mikey Amistoso, Diego Mapa, Jazz Nicolas, Ang Nawawala
- Best Editing: John Wong and Rona delos Reyes, The Animal
- Best Production Design: Benjamin Payumo, Intoy Siyokoy ng Kalye Marino
- Best Cinematography: Tristan Salas, Diablo
- Best Screenplay: Rody Vera, Requieme!
- Best Supporting Actor: Joross Gamboa, Intoy Siyokoy ng Kalye Marino
- Best Supporting Actress: Anita Linda, Santa Nina
- Best Actor: Kristoffer King, Oros
- Best Actress: Ama Quiambao, Diablo
NETPAC (Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema) Awards
- Directors Showcase: Bwakaw
- New Breed: Diablo
- Shorts: Sheron Dayoc for As He Sleeps
- Directors Showcase: Raymond Red for Kamera Obskura
- New Breed: Mes de Guzman for Diablo
- Shorts: Victor
- Directors Showcase: Posas
- New Breed: Diablo
- “Cinemalaya 2012”.Cinemalaya 2012's facebook page.(Accessed on 13 July 2012).
- “Cinemalaya 2012 Competing Films Screening Schedule (CCP/Greenbelt/Trinoma)”.Cinemalaya 2012's facebook page.(Accessed on 13 July 2012).
- “Cinemalaya Bares Finalists for 2012 New Breed and Directors Showcase Categories”.Cinemalaya.(Accessed on 13 July 2012).
- “Cinemalaya Bares Finalists for 2012 New Breed and Directors Showcase Categories”.Cultural Center of the Philippines.(Accessed on 13 July 2012).
- Aguila, Ren.“There's more to see at Cinemalaya 2012”.GMA News Online.(Accessed on 13 July 2012).
- de Jesus, Totel V.“Cinemalaya 2012 pays tribute to Mario O’ Hara with film retrospective”.Inquirer Entertainment.(Accessed on 13 July 2012).
- “Cinemalaya 2012 pays tribute to Mario O'Hara”.Philippine Entertainment Portal.(Accessed on 13 July 2012).
- “Cinemalaya 2012 Schedule”.Lakwatsero.(Accessed on 13 July 2012).
- Cruz, Marinel R.“Cinemalaya 2012 award winners bared”.Inquirer Entertainment.(Accessed on 1 August 2012).