Church of Saint Louis, Bishop of Toulouse (Lucban, Quezon)
Church of Saint Louis, Bishop of Toulouse was initially created in 1593 but destroyed in 1629. The second church was constructed between 1630 and 1640, gutted by fire in 1733 and reconstructed in 1738. It was partly destroyed during the World War II in 1945 and renovated by the Philippine Historical Commission in 1966. It is surrounded by gardens, grottos and stone walls called quince-quince. It enshrined the image of San Isidro Labrador.
Lucban is located 160km from Manila.
The Church of Saint Louis, Bishop of Toulouse is a lofty facade with curved, almost cloudlike outlines and cornice volutes. Almost in staggering contrast are the columns set in high relief. Combined with the arched windows and the portal with decorative keystone, the Church of Saint Louis, Bishop of Toulouse presents a fanciful facade. Horizontal molding gently flow through the wall expanse from end to end, enhancing the cloudlike effect and echoing the curves of the arched windows. The filials are intricately carved, capping the columns at the pediment area. The bell tower rests to the right of the churchs, rising three tapering levels, topped with a weathervane. Both the facade and the belltower are finished with lime and cement.
- Galede, Pedro G. Philippine Church Facades. Quezon City: Filipiniana.net, 2007.
- Layug, Benjamin L. A Tourist Guide to Notable Philippine Churches. Quezon City: New Day Publication, 2007.