From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
Cesar V. Purisima is the current secretary of the Department of Finance (DOF). He is popularly known as a member of the Hyatt 10. He has been named “2012 Finance Minister of the Year” by global and banking finance magazine Euromoney for his successful stewardship of the Philippine economy and for his initiatives in promoting capital markets. In 2011, Purisima was named as “Finance Minister of the Year” by the London-based financial news source Emerging Markets.
Purisima graduated from the De La Salle University in 1979 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Commerce, double major in Accounting and Management of Financial Institutions. He took his MBA at the United States-based JL Kellogg Graduate School of Management in Northwestern University in 1983, taking up management, finance and economics.
In 1979, Purisima topped the Certified Public Accountant Board Examination.
On 29 June 2010, President Benigno Aquino III picked Purisima to head the DOF. Prior to his appointment, he served as secretary of the Department of Trade and Industry from 2004 to 2005 and as Secretary of Finance from February 2005 to July 2005 under the Arroyo administration. However, on 8 July 2005, Purisima resigned from his Cabinet post, together with nine other cabinet heads at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Manila, after the Hello Garci scandal broke out.
Aside from being an active government official, Purisima held several positions in the past, which include:
- Co-owner of Prople, an outsourcing and off-shoring industry
- Chairman and managing partner of Sycip Gores and Velayo (SGV)
- Member, Ernst and Young Global (1999-2004)
- Chairman of the board of the Land Bank of the Philippines
- Chairman of the Power Sector Assets and Liabilities Management Corporations
- Governor of the World Bank Group and the Asian Development Bank and alternate governor for the International Monetary Fund
- Director of Benguet Corp. (since 14 November 2008)
- Independent director of Ripple E-business International Inc. (since 1 June 2009)
- Member of the board of trustees of the Makati Business Club (since 2008)
- Chairman of the executive committee of CibaCapital Inc. (in 2006)
- Independent director of the Energy Development Corporation (from July 2009- 30 June 2010)
- Director of Integrated Microelectronics (since 19 April 2010)
- Executive Profile: Cesar V. Purisima. Businessweek. (Accessed on 22 July 2010)
- Cheers for Hyatt 10, jeers for Romulo. The Philippine Daily Inquirer. (Accessed on 22 July 2010)
- Profile of Aquino’s Cabinet members. Sun Star Manila. (Accessed on 20 November 2012)
- Secretary Cesar V. Purisima, 2012 Finance Minister of the Year. Yahoo! News Philippines. (Accessed on 20 November 2012)
- Secretary Cesar V. Purisima. Road Board Republic of the Philippines. (Accessed on 20 November 2012)
- “Euromoney: Purisima a 'champion of good governance'”. GMA News Online. (Accessed on 20 November 2012)
 External link
- “Cesar Purisima on challenges to the Philippines investment climate”. BBC News Business. (Accessed on 20 November 2012)