From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
Ceres Liner is a bus transportation company with offices and terminals in various parts of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. It is part of Vallacar Transit, Inc., which is the Philippines' largest bus company in terms of fleet size. Its corporate symbol is the sarimanok.
Ceres Liner buses are painted yellow and white.
Ceres Liner was founded by Dr. Ricardo Yanson Sr. and his wife Olivia Yanson in 1965 with the purchase of a single jeepney. Upon the acquisition of other transportation franchises, the couple renamed their company to “Vallacar Transit, Inc.”
When the Yansons' jeepney business was threatened by the influx of Ford-made vehicles, they decided to branch out into bus transportation.
Initially, Ceres Liner plied only the Bacolod-Valladolid route, then added more routes in the 1980s. In 1981, the liner expanded into Mindanao, and in 1985, the Yansons bought out Fortune Express, merged the company with Ceres and became the dominant transit company in the Southern Philippines.
The company's buses travel to and from various destinations in Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. However, most of its destinations are in the Southern Philippines.
Specific destination and departure points include:
- Cubao, Quezon City (passes through Alabang, Muntinlupa City)
- Batangas City
- Calapan City
- Roxas, Mindoro Oriental
- Caticlan, Aklan
- Iloilo City
- San Carlos City
- Bacolod City
- Dapitan City
- Dipolog City
- Zamboanga City
- Cebu City
Like other bus companies in the Philippines with exclusive terminals, Ceres Liner has its own stations. These are located in vital points along bus routes, where potential passengers can easily converge for boarding.
Ceres Liner's main terminals are mostly located in Visayas and Mindanao, though one is also located in Cubao. These serve as parking areas for the company's vehicles as well as final stops or departure points for bus trips.
- Vallacar Transit expands Cebu bus operation. Global Nation, Philippine Daily Inquirer.(Accessed on December 26, 2008)
- 2007 Outstanding Sillimanian Awardees. Siliman University website. (Accessed on December 26, 2008)
- Alibaba.com. Company Profile: Vallacar Transit, Inc. (Accessed on December 26, 2008)
- Interactive Visitor Guide to San Carlos. (Accessed on December 26, 2008)
- Dumaguete Info. (Accessed on December 26, 2008)
- Nifty's Homepage. Images of Vallacar Transit, Inc. (Ceres) departure list. (Accessed on December 26, 2008)
- “Orasan ng Bayan” installed in Ceres Bus terminals. Sun.Star Bacolod. (Accessed on December 26, 2008)