Camarines Sur National High School
|Camarines Sur National High School|
|Address||Peñafrancia Avenue, Naga City|
Camarines Sur National High School (CSNHS) is a Philippine high school located at Peñafrancia Avenue in Naga City. More than a century old, it was the first national high school founded in the province of Camarines Sur, Bicol
The CAMARINES SUR NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL as the first national high school in the province that provides quality basic education that is equitably and accessible to all. It also lays down the foundation for life long learning and a total development of man through the BASIC EDUCATION CURRICULUM (BEC), SPECIAL PROGRAMS IN THE ARTS(SPA),and the ENGINEERING and SCIENCE EDUCATION PROJECT (ESEP)
CSNHS envisions its graduates as responsible, productive, and literate citizens with good values, all the skills they need to get through life and an appreciation of arts and sports.
Goals and Objectives
The goals and objectives of CSNHS emphasize holistic learning, with its students’ achievement of the following:
- Critical and creative thinking and other higher order thinking skills
- Knowledge of science and technology
- Appreciation of Philippine cultural values
- Vocational and entrepreneurial skills and positive work ethic
- Moral and spiritual values
- Respect for self and others
- Appreciation of arts and sports, resulting in a broader viewpoint
Some of the Thomasites in the Philippines came to Ambos, Camarines to teach the children of Bicol in 1901. After an act was passed to establish a national high school system, one of the primary school buildings in Naga City was converted into a provincial high school on July 15, 1902. The principal was Mr. Frank L. Crone and Ms. Minerva Udell was assistant principal. The staff consisted of 4 American teachers. Initially only 70 students, all around 14 years old, were enrolled in the new high school but before the first term ended, there were 200 pupils. After a few weeks, the school moved to another building, in Mabini Street. In 1915, the school changed premises again, moving to its current location along Peñafrancia Avenue, a venue specially provided by the provincial government.
The school closed down during the Japanese Occupation in 1943. The Japanese used its main building as a garrison until the Liberation. The school re-opened in 1945. Though the main building was decrepit, it was still used for classes until it was condemned in 1949.
Over the years, new buildings were added. An alumni association was founded in 1951. On June 19, 1969 the school was given the status of national high school under Republic Act 5529. It is now the largest school in the Bicol Region, with more than 5,000 students.
- 2008 Brigada Eskwela winner in the large school category, Region V (Bicol)
- ”CSNHS.” In Smart Schools.
- CSNHS Official Website.
- “DepEd bares winners of Brigada Eskwela Awards 2008.” In PIA. May 26, 2008. (Accessed January 22, 2009).
- Lo, Ricky. “On Board the Bicol Express.” (Accessed January 22, 2009).