Bukidnon State College

From Wikipilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Bukidnon State College

Seal of Bukidnon State College
Motto "A special place for teaching and learning"
Established

1924

Type Semi-Public, Run by the State College and Universities of the Philippines and a member of Mindanao Association of State Colleges and Universities Foundation
President Dr. Victor M. Barosso
Location Malaybalay, Bukidnon, Philippines
Website Bukidnon State University

Bukidnon State College is a state college located in Bukidnon, Philippines.

Contents

The Manila Bulletin News

The main gate of the college.

Bukidnon State College was one of many schools around the nation that featured in Manila Bulletin News Paper and Online in the Schools, Colleges, and Universities Section.

The Heart of Teacher Education in Mindanao

A special place for teaching and learning

The Bukidnon State College (BSC), originally known as the Bukidnon Provincial High School, was founded in 1924. It is nestled in a 6.02-hectare land where most of its facilities are. It was established by William H. Pickel, the American schools superintendent assigned in the Province of Bukidnon. In 1927, this secondary school was converted into a normal school and was renamed the Bukidnon Normal School.

Humble Beginnings

When World War II broke out in 1941, the school was temporarily closed. When it reopened in 1945, classes were held in army tents at the provincial capitol grounds and in private homes. Nipa-roofed buildings served as classrooms in 1947 until semi-permanent structures could be built from war damage claims in 1950, and from ICA-NEC funds in 1957. The secondary curriculum was then phased out to give way to the two-year special education courses starting school year 1952-53. At about this time, Pacifico A. Ramos assumed post as superintendent.

In 1956, the two-year secondary course was discontinued in favor of a four-year course in education. In the same year, a kindergarten class was introduced. Four years later, the School of Graduate Studies was opened. Graduate courses were also offered at external study centers located in the neighboring towns and provinces.

The Bukidnon State College in Malaybalay City, Bukidnon

In June 1971, the Bachelor of Science in Secondary School Education was offered and the high school training department was also added. In 1972, the Bukidnon Normal School was renamed the Bukidnon Normal College. The first master’s graduate was produced in 1975.

In 1976, Dr. Jaime M. Gellor succeeded Supt. Ramos. With the issuance of Presidential Decree 944, the Bukidnon Normal College was converted into the Bukidnon State College on June 14, 1976. Consequently, Dr. Gellor was appointed as the first president of the school on April 21, 1977. During his time, more permanent buildings were constructed.

Continuing infrastructure build-up was made in 1986 when Dr. Teresita T. Tumapon was appointed second president. She pushed for more projects including intense faculty development programs. As the school entered its eighth decade of existence, Dr. Tumapon strived to create more linkages here and abroad, and introduced Information Technology and Instructional Systems Design course programs. In 1999, Dr. Victor M. Barroso was elected third president of BSC. He is currently serving his second term as president.

Present Times

Since Dr. Barroso, took the cudgels of leadership in 1999, the physical changes at the Bukidnon State College have been monumental.

For example, to serve academic and administrative needs, new facilities have been renovated. Thus, the old library building was converted into classrooms. Moreover, the old canteen building fronting the High School Building was repaired to function as a place where community extension students embark on their practicum. Undergoing renovation is also the School of Graduate Studies, the Guest House down the BSC Valley, as well as the Rubia and Mahogany dormitories. In fact, one of these dormitories has been converted into the School of Nursing. Lately, the construction of the five-door hostel was finally completed. Other buildings in the campus were also completed, such as the new office of National Service Training Program (NSTP). Meanwhile, the new building of the School of Community Education and Industrial Technology is under construction. It is located beside the covered court in the area where the flag pole of the Secondary School used to stand.

Dr. Barroso also expanded institutional facilities to accommodate not only the enormous increase of student enrollment, but their increased needs, as well. The covered court, where various academic functions take place, was built to accommodate a bigger crowd. Likewise, a covered walk now connects all the buildings of this main campus protecting the faculty and students from the often unpredictable weather.

The Registrar’s Office has a new niche in the first floor of the Education Building. The Registrar’s Office abandoned its old location to give way to the renovation of the School of Education Dean’s Office. Now that the dean’s office is more spacious, it doubles as the School Education Accreditation Room.

The putting up of four computer laboratories is making it possible for students to zoom into the information highway. The additional computer supply has likewise made it possible for BSC to implement the computerized system of enrollment starting this semester. On the other hand, to serve the medical needs of students, the new medical clinic was constructed while a new dental clinic was just erected.

A four-storey New Library, with a basement has just been completed, paving the way to the opening of new classrooms in the fourth floor and in the basement. The second and third floors are home to the library collection. Individual offices of the faculty of the Social Science division and the Language and Letters are lodged in the first floor of this new structure.

Now that the library is buzzing with life, the college has taken on its next addition by constructing another new edifice that will soon accommodate 32 additional classrooms, eight offices and an elevator. The R8 million, almost-5,000-square feet building will dominate the corner just beside the New Library. Right now, the School of Law building, which is only part of this huge structure, is almost complete. It bears the signature of this administration’s vision that one day, the student in the remote areas in Bukidnon do not have to cruise the winding road and the occasionally turbulent air and sea just to study law.

Taking into consideration BSC’s improvement in its infrastructure, the administration’s team players can finally concentrate on enhancing various programs it offers, including new course offerings such as the Bachelor in Development Communication and Bachelor in Community Development, Food Technology, Electronics, Hotel and Restaurant Management and Automotive.

Looking back, this teacher-institution that was put up in 1924 during the American Occupation, has enlarged, to include six different schools in the College, namely, the Schools of Education, Arts and Sciences, Business Administration and Information Technology, Community Education and Industrial Technology, Law, and Graduate Studies.

In accordance with its tripartite mission of teaching, learning and community service, BSC continues to establish and expand partnerships with business, education, campus and community organizations.

As a fruit of its labor, the College recently acquired the 3rd AACCUP (Accrediting Agency of Chartered Colleges and Universities in the Philippines) Level in most of its programs after it went through another round of accreditation process on January 17-20, 2006.

With its quest for university status, the horizons of Bukidnon State College are indeed brighter for making it truly "a special place for teaching and learning".

Growing needs, new strategy

In the June 2005 continuing professional development (CPD) survey that the CPD Unit of BSC conducted among the teaching force of Bukidnon State College Main Campus, five themes emerged on what they want to be professionally developed. The CPD needs of the teachers can be grouped into the following categories: new technology, writing/research, funding, legal/ethical, and instructional preparation.

When CPD sessions started going full blast about 10 years ago, the assumption was that teachers primarily need to develop their teaching strategies. Over the years, there is no doubt that a number of teachers truly improved their teaching methods; and if learning should be lifelong, then, by all means, teachers should not stop considering new ways to teach and learn.

The recent survey, however, reveals that teachers need more than the pedagogy of teaching. Hence, given these multifarious needs, the CPD Unit of the College shifted its gears from the ‘shotgun approach’ to the ‘targeted approach’. The former catches all while the latter aims at specific audiences. Starting this month, an attempt has been made to conduct a number of sessions at one time. It is called ‘parallel sessions’ in which during the once-a-month CPD schedule, several CPD sessions at different venues take place. This would be every 1:30-3:00 p.m. every last Friday of the month—the common free time allotted by the administration to its faculty members.

To facilitate the conduct of parallel CPD sessions, one facilitator is assigned for every speaker in every session. A list of facilitator’s tasks was developed to guide a novice facilitator, for instance. Basically, the job of the facilitator is to attend to the speaker’s technical needs.

The ultimate aim for having parallel sessions is to swiftly respond to varied CPD needs. Since needs change as rapidly as technology does, it is important to take action fast enough to equip teachers with skills required for the next phase of change that calls for action at once. If taken seriously by the College, this would be its version of the ‘no teacher left behind’ program when it comes to professional development. It would be BSC’s way to catch up with the dizzying changes occurring in cosmic proportions at the global arena.

Since ‘parallel sessions’ are still experimental, the CPD staff hopes to learn more from its experiences and constructive feedback as sessions progress. One lesson have already learned: Do not to stick to the results of the needs analysis because there are needs that arise from the occasion. Another lesson is to welcome flexibility in CPD schedule. This should explain why there were CPD sessions that were not in the list of needs, and were conducted at different times from July-September 2005.

Kumbera 2005 and 2006

The School of Community Education and Industrial Technology has also won as over all champion in KUMBERA 2005 at Cagayan De Oro City.

The Hotel and Restaurant Management Competitors of the School of Community Education and Industrial Technology (SCEIT) of the Bukidnon State College in its second time involvement was declared OVER-ALL CHAMPION out of 23 competing schools in the students' category during the annual Kumbira 2006, Culinary Show and Live Competition hosted by COHARA on August 17-19, 2006 at the Atrium of Limketkai Complex, Cagayan de Oro City.

For the three (3) straight days, the school competed in all events and was awarded as follows:

Day 1 Live Market Basket

(Team of three) (BRONZE)
De los Santos, Mc Harvey (Appetizer)
Visto, Timoteo (Main Course)
Demonteverde, Vanissa Jane (Dessert)
Table Skirting w/ Centerpiece

(Team of two) (GOLD w/ Honors)
May-as, Shene
Catane, Bryan

Day 2 Set Menu

A - Panadero, Arianne (GOLD)
B - Almazan, Lorly (BRONZE)
Plated Dessert (Kasuy)

A - Ballesteros, Raquel (GOLD)
B - Antipasado, Al Adrian (SILVER)
Bed Setting

Legaspi, John Paul

Day 3 Creative Kagay-anon Putos putos

A - Lapesigue, Glaiza (GOLD)
B - Ortiz, Joshua (DIPLOMA)

Fruit & Vegetable Carving (Team of two) (DIPLOMA)
Manigos, Rodrigo
Rivera, Mae Ann

Logistics:

Baquiler, Ian Roy; Duca, Wenser; Echavez, Chort; fabello, Neil Bryan; Flores, Von Carlo; Guantero, Roderick; manguiran, Ace Virnil; Montebon, Apolinar; Olaña, Jose; Pacamalan, Lynyrd; Sillador, Edwin; Edison, Ronald; As-ason, Sheryl; Bautista, Hazel Grace; Delan, Irish Amor; Navarro, Ivilyn.

Coaches:

Callao, Ruthcini Marie T.; Langam, Rachel T.; Pasia, Nancy C.

History

BSC at a Glance

Originally known as Bukidnon Provincial High School, Bukidnon State College started as a two-year secondary school in 1924. Upon the authority of the Director of Education, William H. Pickell who was an American school superintendent for Bukidnon, established the school. It was first set up to train elementary school teachers for the provinces of Northern Mindanao and the neighboring regions. When it was renamed Bukidnon Normal School four years later, it started to offer a four year secondary normal curriculum, becoming one of five full-fledged secondary normal schools in the country at that time.

The school was closed on December 9, 1941 and did not reopen after World War II. It was reactivated on September 1, 1945 but since its facilities were completely damaged, rehabilitation work lasted until the 1950s.

The secondary normal curriculum gradually gave way to the two-year special collegiate teacher education course in 1952. This was followed by the introduction of the Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (BSEE) degree in 1956. In 1960, the graduate department was created offering for the first time, a master’s degree in education to encourage teachers to take advanced studies. Ten years later, external graduate studies centers were organized in a number of provinces and cities outside of Bukidnon in cooperation with the school divisions of the Department of Education to extend the services of the College to working teachers wanted to enroll in courses leading to Master of Arts in Education. These were usually held during weekends.

On December 15, 1961, Bukidnon Normal School was declared separate school division by virtue of Circular No. 33, s. 1961 issued by the Bureau of Public Schools, thus ending 37 years of administrative control by the division superintendent of schools for Bukidnon.

On June 14, 1976, Presidential Decree No. 944 simultaneously converted the Bukidnon Normal School, Cebu Normal School, Leyte Normal School and Northern Luzon Teachers College into chartered state colleges. Bukidnon Normal School will be remembered as the forerunner of the new institution that is now Bukidnon State College. As a state educational institution, the College is mandated by its charter (P.D. No. 944) “to provide professional and technical instruction of the fields of elementary, secondary, and collegiate education in science as well as in the humanities for its service area.”

Historical Sketch

1924 - BSC started as a two year secondary school known as Bukidnon Provincial Elementary School to train elementary school teacher.
1928 - It offered a four-year secondary normal curriculum was renamed Bukidnon Normal School.
1952 - The two-year special collegiate teacher education course was offered. The school became Bukidnon Normal School.
1956 - BNS started offering Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (BSEE) degree.
1960 - The Graduate School was created offering a master's degree in education.
December 15, 1961 - BNS was declared a school outside the jurisdiction of the public school division by virtue of BPS Circular No. 33, s. 1961.
1970 - Graduate Studies Centers were organized in a number of cities and provinces outside Bukidnon in cooperation with the Schools Division Superintendents.
June 14, 1976 - P.D. 944 converted BNS into a chartered state college the Bukidnon State College. This gave BSC the authority to offer other courses aside from education or teaching courses.

New vision

"A premier institution of higher learning in teacher education, sciences and humanities."

New mission

"To develop competitive professionals who are committed to build a sustainable life for all through quality instruction, research, extension, and production."

Bukidnon State College-External Studies Center

BSC-MOCHS-External Studies Center
BSC-Alubijid-External Studies Center
BSC-Manolo Fortich-External Studies Center
BSC-Manticao-External Studies Center
BSC- Composila Valley-External Studies Center

Graduate programs

Graduate Studies (SGS)

Doctoral Degree in Instructional Systems Design

Master of Arts in Education with Specialization in:

  • Educational Administration
  • Guidance and Counseling
  • English Language Teaching
  • Mathematics Education
  • Mathematics Teaching

M.A. in Science Education (Biology/General Science)

Master of Public Administration

School of Law

Bachelor of Laws

Undergraduate programs

School Of Nursing (SON)

BSC- School of Nursing

Established

2005

Dean Mrs. Melchora B. Serafin
Location BSC, Malaybalay, Bukidnon, Philippines
Mascot Nursing Phoenix

Bachelor of Science in Nursing

School of Arts and Sciences (SAS)

Bachelor of Arts, major in:

  • Economics
  • English
  • Sociology
  • Social Science

Bachelor of Science in Mathematics

BSC- School of Arts and Sciences

Established

n/a

Dean Dr. Cornelia T. Partosa
Location BSC, Malaybalay, Bukidnon, Philippines
Mascot ARTSCIES WOLVES

School of Business Administration, Accountancy, and Information Technology (SBAIT)

Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, major in:

  • Electronics and Computer Technology
  • Software Technology

Bachelor of Science in Accountancy

Bachelor of Science in Management Accounting

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, major in Banking and Finance

Bachelor of Science in Entrepreneurship

BSC- School of Business Administration, Accountancy, and Information Technology

Established

n/a

Dean Dr. Luz B. Un
Location BSC, Malaybalay, Bukidnon, Philippines
Mascot Golden Chips

School of Education (SED)

Bachelor of Elementary Education

Bachelor of Elementary Education, major in Early Childhood Educ.

Bachelor of Secondary Education, major in:

  • English
  • Physics & Technology
  • Social Studies
  • General Science
  • Mathematics
  • PEHM
  • Filipino
  • Certificate of Teaching (CT) (must be a graduate of 4-yr. curriculum)

BSC- School of Education

Established

n/a

Dean Dr. Remedios G.T. Barroso
Location BSC, Malaybalay, Bukidnon, Philippines
Mascot BLue Eagle

School of Community Education and Industrial Technology (SCEIT)

Bachelor of Science in Development Communication

Bachelor of Science in Community Development

Bachelor of Science in Technology, major in:

  • Food Technology
  • Automotive Technology
  • Electronics Technology
  • Garments Technology
  • Wood Working Technology

BSC- School of Community Education and Industrial Technology

Established

2002

Dean Dr. Oscar B. Cabañelez
Location Malaybalay, Bukidnon, Philippines
Mascot Tiger

Bachelor of Science in Development Tourism, major in Hotel & Restaurant Mngt

Non-formal Education (Short-term Course)

Livelihood and Leisure courses

Bachelor in Public Administration, major inLocal Governance

The BSC Intramurals

Bukidnon State College held an Annual Intramurals. The following sports are:

Bracket A

- Elementary Pupils Activitues

Bracket B

- High School Students Activities

Bracket C

- College Students Activities

School Color Name 2003 2004 2005 2006 Cheerdance rank 2006
School of Arts and Sciences Green, Lemon Yellow, & Black ARTSCIES Wolves Champion Champion Champion Champion 2nd Runner Up
School of Education Blue & White SED Mentors/Blue Eagles 1st Runner Up 1st Runner Up 2nd Runner Up 3rd Runner Up 4th Runner Up
School of Community Education and Industrial Technology Red SCEIT Tigers 3rd Runner Up 3rd Runner Up 3rd Runner Up 2nd Runner Up 1st Runner Up
School of Business Administration, Accountancy, and Information Technology Yellow & Purple The Golden Chips 2nd Runner Up 2nd Runner UP 1st Runner Up 1st Runner Up Champion
School of Nursing Pink Nursing Phoenix course not offered course not offered *Joined to SAS 4rth Runner Up 3rd Runner Up
  • School of Nursing joined to School of Arts and Sciences because of their small population.

Bracket D

Plays Rank
Graduate Studies 2n Runner Up
Faculty Champion
BSC Personnel 1st Runner Up
School of Law 3rd Runner Up

External links

Reference

Citation

Wikipinas.png

Original content from WikiPilipinas. under GNU Free Documentation License. See full disclaimer.