Brent International School
Brent International School is an international, co-educational day school associated with the Episcopal Church in the Philippines. It has six campuses in different locations throughout the Philippines: Brent School Baguio, Brent School Boracay, Brent School Pasig, Brent School Subic, Brent IRRI, and the South Campus located south of Manila in Mamplasan.
The school's founder, Charles Henry Brent was born in 1862 in Canada and was elected Missionary Bishop of the Philippines for the Protestant Episcopal Church in 1901. Bishop Brent concentrated mostly on education, the eradication of drugs, and Christian unity. In 1909 he became President of the Opium Conference in Shanghai and founded Brent School Baguio, originally meant as a boarding school for the children of American families stationed in the Philippines, during the same year. Brent is currently under the direction of Headmaster Dick Robbins who acts as the link between the Trustees, the Management Committee and the School's constituency of parents and students.
The meaning of the Brent School Symbol:
- The Lion stands for bravery and courage;
- The laurel leaves stand for knowledge and learning;
- The 6 stars stand for loyalty, integrity, courtesy, sincerity, honesty and camaraderie.
The Brent School logo was revised in the late 1990's before the change of the highschool campus from Pasig to Mamplasan.
The Brent South Campus has a number of facilities available to its students.
- Carpeted and air-conditioned classrooms
- Five science laboratories for biology, chemistry, and physics
- Three Libraries/Media Centers
- Six computer laboratories
- Separate wings for Upper, Middle, and Lower Schools; separate Early Learning Center (kindergarten-grade 2)
- A computer for every teacher in every classroom
- Some classrooms equipped with LCD Projectors and speaker systems
- Three gymnasiums, one of which is open air
- Two soccer fields
- One baseball diamond
- One Swimming pool
- Six-lane tartan
- Three tennis courts
- One dance studio
- One exercise and weights rooms
- Locker and shower facilities
Fine and Performing Arts Facilities
- Band room
- Various practice rooms
- Three art studios
- Dance studio
- Ceramics and photography rooms
- Two cafeterias, serving local and international food and Pizza Hut
- Open-air atrium
Brent has four levels of academics: the Early Learning Program (kindergarten-grade 2), Lower School (grades 3-5), Middle School (grades 6-8), and Upper School (grades 9-12).
In the Upper School, the curriculum is college preparatory. In this light, many Brent graduates have gained acceptances to colleges and universities (mainly in the USA and the Philippines).
The International Baccalaureate Program
Brent is one of the few schools in the Philippines which offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme for students in the 11th and 12th grades. Brent follows a policy of inclusivity rather than exclusivity for the International Baccalaureate Program, allowing any students willing to undertake the heavy course loads to do so. Despite this inclusive philosophy, Brent still produces average IB results, commonly on par with and surpassing world average scores.
- Donita Rose, actress, VJ
- Trey Farley, actor, VJ
- Robert "Dodot" Jaworski, Jr. basketball player and congressman Template:Sourced
- Manuel L. Quezon III writer, columnist, television commentator and historian. Template:Sourced
Sister School References
- Brent International School Baguio
- Brent International School Manila (Pasig)
- Brent International School Subic
- Brent International School Manila (South)
- Brent International School Baguio official website
- Brent International School Manila official website
- International Baccalaureate Organization website