Baguio General Hospital
From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
The Baguio General Hospital & Medical Center (BGHMC) is a 109-year old general tertiary medical & training center with medical ancillary services under the national government. It was also declared as one heritage site in Baguio City in 2010. The hospital has been operating from 1902 until the present and is located along Governor Pack Road near the Marcos Highway (presently Ben Palispis Highway) Rotunda, Baguio City. Its current Director is Dr. Manuel V. Factora and the Advisory Board is presently chaired by Atty. Damaso Bangaoet Jr.
In 1902, before becoming BGHMC, it was first the Baguio Sanatorium, a 15-bed hospital under Dr. Eugene Stafford. It was initially meant to cater to government officials & employees, and American Soldiers, as Baguio was seen as a vacation & recuperation center during the American Colonial Period in the Philippines.
In 1907, the Baguio Sanatorium was renamed as Baguio Hospital with the construction of a Nurses’ Home and six three-room cottages for Tuberculosis patients.
In 1915, Dr. Silverio Garcia became the first Filipino Director of the hospital. The hospital was also turned over to the Bureau of Health (presently Department of Health) and since then several other Filipinos headed the institution.
In 1937, with Dr. F. Esquivel as Director and Miss I. Francia as Chief Nurse, Baguio Hospital was renamed to Baguio General Hospital (BGH). In the same year, construction of the main hospital building was started and the building was finally inaugurated on February 22, 1941.
During the latter part of the World War II, hospital operations were transferred to the St. Louis High School building behind the Baguio Cathedral, after Japanese forces commandeered the hospital building. In April 1945, the hospital was closed due to heavy artillery fire and carpet bombing. The following month in May 1945, as the main building was severely damaged, the hospital was re-opened at Paules Frates, La Salle Compound in Legarda Street. In 1948, after reconstruction, operations finally resumed in the main hospital building
In 1952, the 35-bed Contagious Disease Pavilion expanded its hospital services and in 1955, the first BGH Advisory Board was inducted with Mrs. Ethel Herold as Chairman.
In 1958, BGH was designed as one of 11 training hospitals in the Philippines. Training programs of the different departments have emerged since then and building construction and establishment of new services continued for the next three decades.
The School of Nursing, the Operating Room Complex, the Out Patient Department, and the Bunkhouse were put up in 1962; the Alumni Building in 1963; and the Psychiatry, Physiotherapy & Brace Shop, and Cancer Detection Clinic in 1966 .
In 1970, BGH was converted into a Medical Center and expansion continued. A chapel was built in 1972; the Family Planning Building and Coronary Care Unit in 1973; the Emergency Room annex and Cobalt Therapy Building in 1977; the X-ray annex in 1978; the Under Six & Administration Building in 1979; and the Orthopedics & Traumatology Building in 1981.
In February 12, 1982, the name of Baguio General Hospital was changed to Dr. Efrain C. Montemayor Medical Center thru the Batas PambansaBlg. 175. Then in November 29, 1989, Dr. Efrain C. Montemayor Medical Center was renamed again as Baguio General Hospital & Medical Center (BGHMC).
In 1985, the Administration Building was burned, but was eventually rehabilitated in 1987. In 1990, the July 16 earthquake damaged facilities and led to the demolition of several hospital buildings. Meanwhile 14 other buildings, including the main building, needed major repairs. The following year 1991, a landslide destroyed and flooded numerous parts of the main building. Nonetheless, expansion continued with the construction of physical structures and implementation of additional services in the next years.
On September 17, 2007, the first floor of the Flavier Building was occupied by the Emergency Room Department, the Radiology Department’s Ultrasound Area, the Laboratory, the Admitting Unit, the Cashier, and the Pharmacy.
In March 2007, the operation of the Psychiatry Department was transferred to the new Psychiatry Building. Then in the second quarter of 2008, public comfort rooms were made available in the Flavier Building. On October 8, 2008, the second phase of transfer of services in Flavier Building proceeded with the second floor occupied by the Pediatric Department and the third floor by the Internal Medicine Department together with the Pay Consultation Offices.
In the same year 2008, renovation of the old main building was completed on the first floor of the Obstetrics Minor Operating Room Complex, the Surgical Ward, the Labor Room, the Recovery Room, the Pediatric Surgical Ward, the Charity Wards, the Pay Wards, and the Comfort Rooms in these areas.
On March 16, 2009, the new Infectious Disease Building was inaugurated and housed the Out Patient Department of the Psychiatry Department and the Drug Rehabilitation Unit. In 2010, the renovated Newborn Care Unit and the ward for mothers & infants were unveiled.
In 2011, the old ER was readied as a one-stop shop for billing, cashiering, and accounting. In the same year, the Tuberculosis Center became operational and this was hoped to bring BGHMC full accreditation as a Training Hospital. The TB Center is also intended to cater to cases that have shown resistance to medication. Further, a BOT scheme was signed in September 29, 2011 for the construction of toilet and bath facilities for hospital watchers. Until now, BGHMC continues to be the hospital of the people and the community.
 Buildings &Facilities
BGHMC comprises of the Old two-storey Building, the Pay Services Building, the newly constructed four-storey Flavier Building, the two-storey Psychiatry Building, and the Annex Building for the Infectious Diseases. The hospital was also approved for 500 bed capacity through R.A 8634 of 1998 but due to manpower deficiencies the actual implementing is 400.
 Programs &Services
BGHMC offers a wide range of services in 15 departments:
- Internal Medicine – General Medicine, Cardiology, Diabetology, Hematology, Infectious Diseases, Medical Oncology, Nephrology, Neurology, Pulmonology, Rheumatology, Toxicology, and Vascular Medicine
- Obstetrics & Gynecology – General Obstetrics & Gynecology, Infectious Diseases, Gynecology Oncology, Ultrasound, and High Risk Pregnancy
- Pediatrics – General Pediatrics, Hematology/ Oncology, Nephrology, Neurology, Newborn Medicine, Pediatric Intensive Care, and Pulmonology
- Orthopedics – General Orthopedics, Adult Orthopedics & Joint Replacement, Hand Surgery, Pediatric Orthopedics, Spine Surgery, Rehabilitation Medicine (Physical Therapy & Brace Shop), Trauma Surgery, and Sports Medicine
- Surgery – General Surgery, Colorectal Surgery, Head & Neck Surgery and Oncology, Hepatobiliary Surgery, Neurosurgery, Pediatric Surgery, and Urology
- Ophthalmology – General Ophthalmology, Orbit & Ocuplastic Surgery, and Retina & Vitreous Surgery
- Anesthesiology – General Anesthesiology and Obstetrics Anesthesiology
- Clinical Pathology – Blood Banking, Blood Chemistry, Clinical Microscopy, Drug Testing, Hematology, Immunology, Microbiology, Parasitology, Water Analysis, and Serology
- Anatomic Pathology – Autopsy, Cytology (Fine Needle Aspiration, Pap Smear, Scrimp Cytology, Thin Layer Cytology), Frozen Section, and Histopathology
- Psychiatry – Adult Psychiatry, Child Psychiatry, Consultation & Liaison Service, Forensic Service, Occupational Therapy, and Psychological Testing
- Radiology – 2D-Echo Cardiogram and Doppler, Interventional Radiology, Routine X-Ray, Special Procedures, and Ultrasound
- Hemodialysis – DIN EN ISO 9001:2000
- Otorhinolaryngology – Bronchoesophagology, Cranio-maxillofacial Surgery, Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Head & Neck Tumor, Laryngology & Voice, Otology & Audiology, and Rhinology & Allergy
- Cancer Control Service – Cancer Clinic, Cobalt Therapy & Computerized Treat Planning, Palliative Care (Cancer Pain Relief & Support Group), and Hospital Cancer Registry
- Outpatient Clinics – General Outpatient Clinics and Specialty Outpatient Clinics (‘Rayuma’ Clinic, Asthma, Diabetic, Family Planning, Geriatrics, Hematology Oncology, Infertility& Perinatology, Kidney, Menopause, Women & Child Protection Unit, Under Five, and Neonatology)
In addition, the hospital is currently maintaining 24 Health Care Programs:
- Control of Diarrheal Diseases
- Trauma Accident
- Mother and Baby Friendly Hospital Initiatives (Breastfeeding and Child Care)
- Control of Respiratory Infection
- Family Planning/Reproductive Health
- Preventive Nephrology
- Blindness Prevention Program
- AIDS Prevention Program
- Preventive Cardiology
- Cancer Prevention
- Anti-Smoking Campaign
- Diabetes Control
- Poisoning Prevention and Management
- Stop Death Program
- Women’s and Children Protection Unit
- Preventive Dentistry
- T.B. Control Program
- Mental Health
- National Blood Voluntary Program
- Infection Control Program (Waste Management)
- Hospice Care Program
- Herbal Medicine Program
- Nutrition Program
 Training Programs
BGHMC offers sub-specialty services. All training programs are also accredited by respective specialty societies. Other training programs include Medical Clerkship; and practicum & internship for students & graduates of Medical Technology, Dietary, Radiology Technology, Dentistry, and Physiotherapy.
The Post Graduate Training Program (Nurse Fellow) for licensed nurses was instituted in 2004 but was ended in September 2011, as per memorandum 2011-0238 of Department of Health (DOH) Secretary Enrique T. Ona released in August 22, 2008, mandating to terminate all Nurse Volunteer Programs, Volunteer Training Programs for Nurses, and other similar & related programs in all DOH-retained hospitals in the Philippines.
BGHMC was the first in Asia to be awarded as the Mother & Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative (MBFHI) by the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) in 1992. In addition, the breastfeeding program of the hospital became the prototype of UNICEF.
Moreover, the Under Five Clinic of BGHMC was granted National Wellness Award for Excellence by DOH Center for Wellness Program in May 26, 1995. Further, GAWAD PAGASA was given to the hospital during the 102nd Anniversary of the Civil Service Commission in October 1, 2002.
- ‘Chinus’. “Baguio General Hospital & Medical Center” September 2, 2009. Updated November 24, 2010.
- “REPUBLIC ACT No. 06789 An Act Changing the Name of Dr. Efrain C. Montemayor Medical Center in Baguio City to Baguio General Hospital & Medical Center” November 29, 1989.
- PambansaBlg. 175 An Act Changing the Name of the Baguio General Hospital in Baguio City to Dr. Efrain C. Montemayor Medical Center” February 12, 1982.
- Bennett. “Hospital posts lowest occupancy last month”. Sun Star Baguio.Sun.Star Publishing, Inc. January 29, 2011.
- BGHMC Photo. “BGHMC Rest Rooms”.Baguio Midland Courier.baguiomidlandcourier.com.ph 2007. October 2, 2011.
- “No More Nurse Volunteer Programs! DOH Orders Termination of ‘Nurse Volunteer Programs’”.Nurses Labs Online Nursing Community.September 13, 2011.
- Tamayo. “Hospitality in the Hospital”.Baguio Midland Courier.baguiomidlandcourier.com.ph 2007.October 2, 2011.