Aurora Javate de Dios
Aurora "Oyie" Javate de Dios is a women's rights activist leader and educator. One of her greatest achievements in the women's movement is helping in the legislation of two important laws: the Republic Act No. 9208 Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act Of 2003 and the RA 9262 Anti-Violence Against Women and Children (VAWC) Act of 2004. It was also in her term when the Framework Plan of Women which focused on three core areas: human rights, economic empowerment and gender responsive good governance, was established. The framework plan was widely accepted and used by both the government and NGOs.
Presently, she is the Executive Director of Women and Gender Institute (WAGI) of Mriram College, the Gender Adviser of the National Commission on the Role of Filipino Women (NCRFW), and the President of Board of Trustees of the Coalition Against Trafficking in Women - Asia-Pacific (CATWAP).
De Dios has been an activist since her college days. She took up Foreign Service at the University of the Philippines, Diliman in the pre-martial law years. After her graduation in 1970, she got involved in the anti-martial law Movement of Concerned Citizens for Civil Liberties. In the movement, she helped organize rallies and campaigns, convening students, laborers, farmers, etc. For this, she was jailed for six months at Camp Aguinaldo. After her release, she joined Kalayaan (Feminist group), a feminist group.
Advocate of Women
- Helped establish the Women's Studies Program (now Women and Gender Institute) of Miriam College
- Pioneer and first president of the Women's Studies Association of the Philippines, an association that lobbied with schools and universities to include gender studies in the curriculum
- President, Board of Trustees, CATW-AP
- Commissioner, NCRFW in 1994
- Vice Chairperson and Chair of Committee on Human Rights, NCRFW, 1994
- Worked with the United Nations as expert on CEDAW (Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women), 1995-1998; as an expert, she reviewed reports from different countries on how they comply with the Women's Convention
- Chair of the Board of Commissioners, NCRFW, 2001-2004
- Gender Adviser, NCRFW, present
- Named as the Philippines' practical educator in the United Nations in the book "Shaping the Women's Global Agenda Filipino Women in the United Nations" published by NCRFW
- Founding member of the Board of Trustees, Women's Legal Education, Advocacy and Defense (WOMENLEAD) Foundation, Inc.(2000- present)
- Damaso-Dumo, Gia. "Aurora Javate de Dios Practical Educator in the UN." Shaping the Women's Global Agenda Filipino Women in the United Nations Edited by Olivia H. Tripon. NCRFW (2007)
- Human Development Sector. Sulong Pilipina! Sulong Pilipinas! A Compilation of Filipino Women Centennial Awardees. National Centennial Commission -Women's Sector. Taft Avenue, Manila:1999.
- About CATW-AP
- Aurora Javante de Dios
- STOP THE TRAFFIC SYMPOSIUM at RMIT, Melbourne, Australia — 25 February 2002 extracts from the transcript of the keynote speech given by AURORA JAVATE DE DIOS