Ateneo Human Rights Center
From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
| Ateneo Human Rights Center|
|Head||Atty. Carlos P. Medina, Jr.|
|Address||20 Rockwell Drive, Rockwell Center, 1200 Makati City, Philippines|
|Tel. No.||(632) 899-7691 loc. 2109|
|Fax No.||(632) 899-4342|
The Ateneo Human Rights Center (AHRC) is among the first university-based, non-government institutions that provides protection and promotion of human rights in the Philippines.
Housed by the Ateneo de Manila Law School, AHRC acts as Secretariat of the Law Association for Asia and the Pacific (LAWASIA) Human Rights Standing Committee. It offers various programs where law students may voluntarily participate , like the Internship Program, where they work with different human rights groups in the country and engage in legal research and writing, field investigation, lectures, and court appearances.
Among the institution's missions are:
- To form and sustain human rights lawyers and advocates in the Philippines;
- To make justice accessible to victims of human rights violations in the country and abroad by providing research, education, and legal assistance to them;
- To monitor and advocate for government compliance with human rights laws and instruments;
- To empower civil society towards peace, democracy, and the pursuit of good governance and the rule of law.
As a university-based institution, the Center makes use of valuable resources of the University and the Law School. Volunteer law professors, alumni practitioners and law students also provide the Center with considerable staff support in the implementation of its various programs.
- Directory of Non-Government Organizations Working on Women. Publication of the National Commission on the Role of Filipino Women; Copyright 2007.