Asuncion K. Raymundo
Dr. Asuncion K. Raymundo (b. 15 August 1946) is the first Filipina Molecular Microbiologist to pioneer the application of biotechnology to agriculture in the Philippines. A microbiologist by profession, Dr. Raymundo executed the technique of discriminating local prevalent pathogen strains to allow selection of the appropriate variety resistant to this strain for planting. She has also completed a number of studies related to strain improvement of various industrially important microorganisms.
She is a professor and currently the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB). She has been the Director of the Institute of Biological Sciences of UPLB for seven years. She currently heads the National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST) Bioremediation Task Force and is the NAST focal person in charge of biology education.
Dr. Raymundo finished a BS degree (cum laude) in Soil Microbiology at the University of the Philippines, College of Agriculture. She obtained her Master of Science at the University of Hawaii, and her PhD at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She had her postdoctoral studies in microbial/molecular genetics at IRRI and had research stints at Monash University, Osaka University and Kansas State University.
A pioneer in microbial genetics and the use of biotechnology in agriculture in the Philippines, Dr. Raymundo implemented numerous research projects and studies including some funded by the Rockefeller Foundation, UNIDO and the Australian Centre for International Agriculture. She has published over a hundred technical articles in refereed journals and proceedings, both local and international.
Dr. Raymundo is a member of several honor and professional societies, including both the Philippine Society for Microbiology which she served as President and the American Society for Microbiology.
The following are the awards that Dr. Asuncion received in recognition of her work in microbiology, microbial genetics and biotechnology:
- National Research Council of the Philippines Distinguished Award in Biology
- UPLB Outstanding Teacher and Researcher
- PCARRD Pantas Outstanding Researcher Award
- Crop Science of the Philippine Achievement Award in Research
- Outstanding Microbiologist Award given by the Philippine Society for Microbiology
- Republica Award given by the Commission of Higher Education
- 2007 UP Outstanding Professional Award in Natural Sciences -biology (microbiology).
- 2002 Academician of the National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST).
- National Academy of Science and Technology. (Accessed on September 17,2007)
- Solsoloy, Aida Ph.D. Scientists and Rural Women in Agricultural Technology Development. Herstories. A Global Movement Vol.1. National Centennial Commission -Women's Sector. Taft Avenue, Manila:1999