| City of Antipolo</span>|
Lungsod ng Antipolo
|Nickname: The Pilgrimage City|
|Motto: Tayo na sa Antipolo! (literally, Let's go to Antipolo)|
|Rizal showing the location of Antipolo City|
|CALABARZON (Region IV-A)|
|Districts||1st and 2nd districts of Antipolo City|
|April 4, 1998|
|- Mayor||Victor R. Sumulong (KAMPI)|
|- Vice Mayor||Danilo O. Leyble (KAMPI/NPC)|
|- City<| 470,866|
1,538/km² (3,984/sq mi)
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
Antipolo City is located in the central part of Rizal Province. It is approximately 26 km. east of Manila. It is bounded to the north by the municipalities of San Mateo and Rodriguez; to the east by the municipality of Gen. Nakar in neighboring Quezon Province; to the southeast by the municipality of Tanay; to the south by municipalities of Angono, Taytay and Teresa; and to the west by the municipality of Cainta and the city of Marikina in Metro Manila.
The city was named after the Tipolo (breadfruit) tree (Artocarpus incisa) which was in abundance in the area.
Franciscan missionaries arrived in Antipolo in 1578 and built a church in Boso-Boso. In 1591 they were replaced by the Jesuits who organized the village into a parish. They built a chapel at Sitio Sta. Cruz. By 1601 there are about 3,000 Christians residing in Antipolo. At about the same period, the Negrito population dwindled, as they moved deeper into the mountains.
On March 25, 1626 Governor-General Juan Niño de Tabora brought from Acapulco, Mexico the image of the Virgin Mary. Before he died, he bequeathed the image to the Jesuits for the Antipolo Church. Tradition has it that the image was installed in Sitio Sta. Cruz and have been lost several times and each time it was found on a Tipolo tree. Because of these unusual incidents, it was decided in 1632 to erect the church at the site.
In 1639, the Chinese revolt reached Antipolo and burned the church to the ground; however, the image was unharmed. The Virgin was taken to Sitio Ginapao and then brought to Cavite upon orders of the Governor-General. It stayed in Cavite for 14 years. Ten years after the incident the image was renamed "Nuestra Señora de la Paz y Buen Viaje" (Tagalog: "Ang Mahal na Birhen ng Kapayapaan at Mabuting Paglalayag"; "Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage") and traveled five more times to Acapulco, Mexico before it rested permanently in the town. A replica of the image of the Birhen ng Antipolo is now enshrined in the U.S. for all the immigrant Filipinos. The Oratory of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage, is located at the northeast corner of the Crypt Church of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C. A gift of the Filipino Catholic Community in the United States and around the world, this oratory honors a Marian devotion dating from the 1600s.
The village of Antipolo was made into a town in 1650 as part of the Province of Tondo. When the Tondo was divided into the Province of Manila and the District of Los Montes de San Mateo in 1853, it became part of the latter. The district was later known as the District of Morong.
The Recollects took over Antipolo in 1864. It was during these years that the Virgin of Antipolo gained thousands of devotees. Devotees from Manila and nearby towns and provinces flock to Antipolo on foot along mountain trails and springs.
Two months after the declaration by Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo of Philippine Independence on June 12, 1898, Antipolo formally joined the Revolutionary Government and it was made the capital of the District of Morong. But when the country was occupied by the Americans on June 4, 1899 the Revolutionary Government was transferred to the town of Tanay.
After a civil government was established in 1901 by the Americans, Valentin Sumulong became the first Presidente (Alcalde) of the town. The province of Morong was renamed Rizal Province and some of the towns near Manila were made part of the province. In 1903, Antipolo, Teresa and Boso-Boso were merged under Act No. 1942 with Antipolo as the center of government.
On March 27, 1903 the Philippine Commission granted the Manila Railroad Company a franchise to construct and operate a railway going to Antipolo. The railway by 1906 was running from Pasig up to Taytay-Cainta it was not until December 24, 1908 that the first train reached Antipolo. In 1913, the sitios of Mayamot and Bulao became part of Antipolo, however on January 1, 1919, Teresa was separated from Antipolo.
The railway no longer exist. A paved road now lies over what used to be the railway which is called daang-bakal (railway). What used to be a station masters office is now inhabited by squatters. Not sure what the city government is planning to do with what is supposed to be a national heritage building/site.
Second World War and Japanese Occupation
During the Second World War two guerilla units continued the struggle during the Japanese occupation. They were the Hunters ROTC under Miguel Ver and Terry Adevoso and the Marking Filipino-American Troops which was established and led by Marcos Villa Agustin more popularly known under the name Brig. Gen. Agustin Marking. Many inhabitants were tortured and killed by the Japanese, including Mayor Pascual Oliveros and his son Reynaldo, Padre Eusebio Carreon, Padre Ariston Ocampo, Sis. Ma. Elizabeth Cagulanas, RVM, Sis. Ma. Consuelo Recio, RVM; Antonio Masangkay, and Alfonso Oliveros.
The liberation of Antipolo from the Japanese forces was bloody and devastating. On February 17, 1945 Antipolo was heavily bombarded by American planes. Antipolo residents evacuated to Sitio Kulaike and up to the towns of Angono, Santolan, and Marikina. To protect the image from being destroyed, Procopio Angeles, then the sacristan mayor, and members of the community brought with them the Virgin of Antipolo. The bombings on March 6-7, 1945 destroyed the church and after twelve days of battle the American, Filipino soldiers and guerrillas liberated the town on March 12, 1945. After the war a temporary church was built and the Virgin of Antipolo was returned from the Quiapo Church on October 15, 1945.
On June 15, 1952, Hinulugang Taktak was proclaimed a National Park by Pres. Elpidio Quirino and on January 14, 1954, the Bishops of the Philippines proclaimed the Cathedral of Antipolo as the official shrine of the Virgin of Antipolo.
In 1960s, the town proper or poblacion was widened and the Sumulong Highway was constructed. In the 1970s the Marikina-Infanta Road better known as the Marcos Highway was constructed traversing the mountains of Antipolo.
The 1995 Census registered Antipolo's population at 345,000. On February 13, 1998 then Pres. Fidel V. Ramos signed Republic Act No. 8505 making the Municipality of Antipolo into a component city of Rizal Province and on April 4, 1998 it was ratified it in a plebiscite.
Antipolo City is politically subdivided into 16 barangays.
|Dela Paz (Pob.)||597.99||45,185||75.56|
|San Isidro (Pob.)||479.7||39,242||81.81|
|San Jose (Pob.)||13,787.77||55,136||4.00|
|San Roque (Pob.)||723.25||36,431||50.37|
- The Center for Biblical Studies
- Don Antonio de Zuzuarregui Sr. Memorial Academy
- Sumulong Memorial High School
- Antipolo Immaculate Conception School
- Antipolo Lady of Lourdes School
- Montessori Integrated School
- Our Lady of Peace School
- Recoletos School Inc.
- St. John's Worth Montessori
- La Salle College Antipolo
- San Luis Elementary
- San Benildo Integrated School
- St. Andrews Cleverland School
- Southridge Private High School
- Assumption Antipolo
- Holy Spirit Integrated School
- Academe Integrated School
- Antipolo Faith Christian School
- PAREF-Rosehill School
- Talitha Cumi Academy
- Prince of Peace Integrated School
- Divine Mercy Learning Center
- Our Lady of Deliverance Montessori School
- Our Lady of Fatima University
- Rizal Tecnological University
- Juan Sumulong Elementary School
- Isaias Tapales Elementary School
- San Isidro Elementary School
- Dela Paz Elementary School
- Sta Cruz Elememtary School
- Bagong Nayon Elementary School
- Bagong Nayon 3 Elementary School
- Bagong Nayon 4 Elementary School
- Mayamot Elementary School
- Mambugan Elementary School
- Munting Dilao Elementary School
- Boso Boso Elementary School
- San Luis Elementary School
- Teofila Rovero Elementary School
- Kaila Elementary School
- Lores Elementary School
- Calawis Elementary School
- Kay Sakat Elementary School
- San Joseph Elementary School
- San Ysiro Elementary School
- Pinugay Elementary School
- Tanza Elementary School
- Pantay Elementary School
- Cupang Elementary School
- Penafrancia Elementary School(Main)
- Penafrancia Elementary School(Annex)
- Nazarene Ville Elementary School
- Dalig Elementary School
- Antonio Cabarrus Elementary School
- San Antonio Elementary School
- Nazarene Elementary School
- Antipolo National High School (Main Campus)
- San Jose National High School
- San Isidro National High School
- Mayamot National High School
- San Roque National High School
- Cupang National High School
- Mambugan National High School
- Marcelino Santos National High School
- Maximo Gatlabayan National High School
- Boso Boso National High School
- Kay Sakat National High School
- Bagong Nayon II National High School
- San Ysiro National High School
- Munting Dilao National High School
- San Juan National High School
- Pinugay National High School
- Calawis National High School
- Antipolo National High School(RolluquiAnnex)
- Antipolo NAtional High School( Reyes Annex)
Hotels & Condominiums
- Villa Patricia Javier Resort
- Boso-Boso Highlands Resort
- Bosay Resort
- Cristina Villas
- Loreland Farm Resort
- Overlook Resort
- Villa Virginia Resort
- Villa Conception Resort
- Kubling Kalikasan Resort
- D' Compound Resort
- Cattleya Farm Resort- PRIVATE
- Marbella Palace Resort- PRIVATE
- City Hideaway Private Resort
- Jamesville Resort & Hotel
- Gems Hotel
- Log Inn
- Seven Suites Hotel
- Eastern Manila Hotel and Training Center
- Farah's Inn
Roman Catholic Diocese of Antipolo
The seat of the Diocese of Antipolo is located at the Cathedral-Parish of the Immaculate Conception (National Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage [Nuestra Sra. Dela Paz y Buen Viaje]). The diocese today is headed by His Excellency, Most Reverend Gabriel V. Reyes, D.D. The Bishop of Antipolo is assisted by an auxiliary bishop, the Most Reverend Francisco M. De Leon, D.D., who resides at the Diocesan Shrine of Our Lady of the Abandoned in Marikina City. The diocese has grown from a mere 17 parishes when it was carved out from the Archdiocese of Manila in 1983 and developed into 54 parishes at present, covering the whole province of Rizal and the city of Marikina. There were proposals of dividing the diocese to establish a new diocese in Marikina and elevating the Diocese of Antipolo into an archdiocese. Although all of these plans depend on recommendations being made by the local ordinary of Antipolo and the Apostolic Nunciature in the Philippines, some say that a few steps are already being done in preparation for the creation of the Diocese of Marikina.
The Diocese of Antipolo is set to celebrate the twenty fifth anniversary (silver jubilee) of its canonical establishment on June 25, 2008. Having grown into being one of the most prosperous and stable local churches in the Philippines, the diocese commits itself to a communitarian life of thanksgiving, celebration and evangelization - thus the theme of its silver jubilee celebration, "25 Taon ng Mabuting Paglalakbay: Pagpapasalamat, Pagdiriwang at Panibagong Pagsasabuhay!" (25 Years of a Good Voyage: Thanksgiving, Celebration and Renewed Living!).
As part of the jubilee celebration, a Diocesan Pastoral Assembly is being planned in 2009. A special Mass will be held on its anniversary in June 24, 2008. The pilgrim image of Our Lady of Antipolo (the Virgin of Peace and Good Voyage) will visit all the parishes of the diocese starting on the last week of April. The image will first visit the parish of St. Gabriel the Archangel in Malaya, Pililla, Rizal. On December 5, 2008, a big celebration is being planned at the Ynares Center in Antipolo City with the attendance of the Most Rev. Edward Joseph Adams, D.D., the Apostolic Nuncio to the Philippines.
Also, the establishment of the John Paul II Minor Seminary along Maguey Road in Brgy. San Luis in Antipolo City stands as a testament of the response of the diocese in promoting more vocations to the priesthood to serve its flock.
- Antipolo City Official Site
- Antipolo City - Brgy Dalig Official Site
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- 2000 Philippine Census Information
- Antipolo Philippines
- Antipolo Wikimap
ilo:Ciudad ti Antipolo
Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination