From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
To view related article, please click [Ang Ladlad LBGT Party List].
|Established||September 21, 2003|
|Head|| Danton Remoto|
|Address||Unit 304 Golden Legacy Condominium, 98 Xavierville Avenue cor. Esteban Abada St., Loyola Heights, Quezon City 1108, Philippines|
|Tel. No.||(632) 433-06-74|
|Fax No.||(632) 433-06-74|
|Website||Ang Ladlad official website|
Ang Ladlad is a national organization comprising of lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgenders but their members where from any gender that supports their advocacy. It was founded by Danton Remoto in September 21, 2003. Their main advocacy is to promote human rights and equality, may it be for a member of the LGBT or not.
The name of the group came from the Filipino word "magladlad" which means to remove one's coverings. For the group, the name means, to come out of the closet, to assert one's human right equally among other people.
The group, Ang Ladlad, believes that the concerns and rights of the LGBT was not properly represented in the congress, that's why the group planned to run for party-list elections for Congress in May 2010 elections. With this, it will, supposed to be the first LGBT political party that will advocate the rights of their community.
But the COMELEC junked the accreditation of the group saying that they are lack of merit. According to them, Ang Ladlad failed a requirement for party-list accreditation which is, it failed to prove it has a national membership.
The platform of Ang Ladlad aims to restore the pride and dignity of the LGBT Filipinos and also to give themselves a chance to lead kinder and gentler life. Their platform is as follows:
- The re-filling of the Anti-Discrimination Bill that will provide LGBT community equal rights and opportunities in employment and equal treatment. It will make discrimination against LGBT a criminal act.
- Support those that are LGBT-related and LGBT-friendly businesses.
- Re-filling of the bill to repeal the Anti-Vagrancy Law for those who policemen who use it get bribes from gay men without ID cards.
- Setting up of livelihood projects for the poor and physically challenged LGBT.
- Setting up centers for old and abandoned LGBT.
The officers of the Ang Ladlad are the following:
- Danton Remoto as the Chairman and also the founder of the organization
- Doni Santos as the Vice Chairman
- Bemz Benedito as the Secretary and Transgender Liaison
- Jay Espinosa as the Treasurer
- Danicar Mariano as the Media and Publicity and Lebian Liaison
- Lawrence Antaran as the Media and Publicity and Gay Liaison
- Bong Enriquez as the Campaigns Officer
 External Link
- Ang Ladlad E-group (Accessed on May 07, 2008)
- Ang Ladlad (Accessed on May 07, 2008)
- The Case for Ang Ladlad by Hernesto Herrera (Accessed on May 07, 2008)