Career and Contributions
Dr. Santos was a professor of industrial pharmacy at the University of the Philippines. He conducted several researches in the isolation and elucidation of the phaeantharine and other alkaloids from Philippine medical plants. His goal was to alleviate the high prices of drugs through reducing the use of costly import materials.
In recognition of his original experimental researches in numerous alkaloids isolated from Philippine medicinal plants, Dr. Santos received Pres. Magsaysay's Distinguished Service Star in 1954. He is also recipient of the 1953 Outstanding Pharmacist Researcher of the Philippine Pharmaceutical Association and the 1973 PhilAAS Outstanding Scientist Award. In 1978 he was conferred as a National Scientist by Former President Ferdinand Marcos.
- BS (Pharmaceutical Chemistry), University of the Philippines, 1921
- Doctorate in Pharmacy, University of Santo Tomas, 1925
- Doctorate in Philosophy, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat Munster, 1929
- Gorgonio, Luis (1998). The Filipino Scientists. Loacan Publishing House.
- DOST-NAST (2000). National Scientists of the Philippines (1978-1998). Anvil Publishing.