AFP Medical Center
From WikiPilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
The Armed Forces of the Philippines Medical Center (AFPMC) or AFP Medical Center provides competent and quality tertiary health care services to personnels and members of the AFP, dependents and authorized civilians.
The forerunner of the AFP Medical Center was the V Luna General Hospital. It was named after Colonel Victoriano Luna for his heroic deeds during the Bataan battle. This hospital was established in Camp Murphy with an initial capacity of 60 beds and was first led by Colonel Eliseo Bringas MC. Since 1935, Colonel Luna had wanted to put up an army hospital that will provide medical needs of the Philippine Army.
Two years later, Colonel Luna's dream came true and the first Philippine Army General Hospital was inaugurated. Then, on September 3, 1946, the said hospital was renamed "Victoriano Luna General Hospital" (VLGH) by virtue of GO Nr 512 HPA. In line with this, the third day of September was devoted to be the foundation day of the hospital.
The hospital expanded and increased its facilities to accommodate to more people. But in 1941, during the Japanese bombing, half of of the Philippine Army General Hospital was destroyed. A few days later, the Army Headquarters ordered the hospital staff to move to Bataan and establish a makeshift general hospital near the camp in Mariveles. The temporary hospital attended patients and victims of the war until 1942.
When the American Forces liberated Manila, the hospital was moved to the vacated by the Americans at the corner of High 54 Shaw Boulevard Mandaluyong, Rizal. By 1946, the hospital was able to recover from the loss from war and by 1946, the hospital had a bed capacity of more than 2500 beds. During this time, the hospital was already providing orthopedic and prosthetic services.
On September 3, 1946, by virtue of General Order Nr 512 HPA, the Philippine Army General Hospital was named Victoriano Luna General Hospital (VLGH).
The buildings in the Mandaluyong sites were falling apart so the hospital was transferred on Kamias Road, Quezon City. The site had a new building, Quonset huts and other facilities like a kitchen, a chapel and EMs barracks. A building for a school, Armed Forces Medical Service School, was added later.
In 1954, the former 10th General Hospital was vacated and this became available for the use of VLGH. Accordingly, some chronic medical cases were transferred to this site and officially became the VLGH Annex. In 1963, the VLGH Annex was vacated and was turned over to the Army Station Hospital at Fort Bonifacio.
The VLGH was renamed Victoriano Luna Medical Center by the virtue of General Order Nr 389, GHQ AFP dated May 11 1970.
Five years later, the Victoriano Luna Medical Center was renamed again as Armed Forces of the Philippines Medical Center (AFPMC) by virtue of General Order Nr 258, GHQ.
 First Aid Treatments
- Animal Bites
- Breathing Problems
- Broken Bones
- Chest Pain
- Cuts, Scrapes & Punctures
- Dental Emergencies
- Drug Overdoses
- Electric Shock
- Eye Injuries
- Head Injuries
- Heat Exhaustion & Heat Stroke
- Insect Stings
- Neck/Spine Injury
- Poison Ivy (Oak, Sumac)
- Sports Injuries
- Sprains & Strains
- Colonel Luna died on March 26, 1942 when he was accidentally hit by a stray bomb from a Japanese plane.
- The VGLH was the first institution in the Philippines to manufacture artificial prosthetics for amputation surgeries.
 External Link
- Armed Forces of the Philippines Medical Center. "Armed Forces of the Philippines Medical Center", (accessed on April 17, 2008)