UP Centennial Commission
The University of the Philippines Centennial Commission is the commission formed by the University of the Philippines President and given the task to lead and oversee all preparations and activities for and related to the centennial celebration of the Philippines' premier institution of higher learning. The Commission is also mandated to steer the Philippines' premier institution of higher learning in all activities and programs through the centennial year (2008) itself.
On July 4, 2006, President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo issued Executive Order No. 537, allowing UP President Emerlinda R. Roman to formulate and implement a plan of activities in connection with the centennial celebration of UP. The most important part of this plan is the establishment of the UP Centennial Commission.
UP Centennial Commission Members
Roman invited distinguished professionals and personalities to join the UP Centennial Commission. Most of these Filipinos are UP alumni and are working within the UP Sytem and the public and private sectors. The membership of the Commission also includes Filipinos living in other countries. Members of the Commission held their first meeting on October 17, 2006.
The following are the officers and members of the UP Centennial Commission:
- Vice Chairman
- Executive Director
- Internal Spokesperson
- Members from the UP Board of Regents
- Members from the Private Sector:
- Members from Filipino Communities Abroad
One of the initial tasks of the Commission was to formulate a Centennial Theme that would embody the 100-year existence of UP, as well as its role in society in the future. During its seventh meeting on April 25, 2007, the Commission adapted the centennial theme, "UP: Excellence, Service, and Leadership in the Next 100 Years." The concept of excellence, service, and leadership showcase the goals of UP going into its second century – discovering new areas of knowledge, designing workable and effective action plans, and transforming the nation through pioneering endeavors that serve as blueprints for national development.
UP System-wide Activities and Projects
The Commission has also lined up numerous UP System-wide activities and projects.
- UP Centennial Awards – will be given to outstanding alumni for lifetime achievement in the following areas of expertise:
- community service
- government service
- social science
- the arts
- UP Centennial Gawad Likhaan – will be administered by the UP Institute of Creative Writing for original and new, book-length literary works in English and Filipino
- UP Centennial Lecture Series – a series of talks and public lectures of distinguished scholars, academicians, and professionals from various fields and will focus on Philippine, international, and UP-related issues and ideas
- UP Centennial Musical – to be written by Floy Quintos and to be directed by UP Diliman professor, Alex Cortes
- UP Centennial Songwriting Competition
- UP Grand Centennial Alumni Homecoming and Reunion – to be held on June 21, 2008 at the Araneta Coliseum in Cubao, Quezon City
- UP System Centennial Digital Festival and Filmmaking Competition
- Launching of an assortment of UP Centennial memorabilia
- Writing of a UP history book
- UP Centennial Fellows
- UP Centennial Lecture Series
- UP Centennial Theme
- WikiWorx: UP 100 Content Outline
- UP Centennial Commission Members (Accessed on March 3, 2008)
- All Systems Go & The Centennial Celebrations (Accessed on March 3, 2008)
- UP Centennial Theme (Accessed on March 3, 2008)
- Projects Take Off As Centennial Approaches (Accessed on March 3, 2008)