St. Joseph's School - Pandacan
|Motto||Go to St. Joseph to Serve God and Country|
|Type||Run by the Archdiocese of Manila, Private, Filipino|
|Director||Rev. Fr. Nolan A. Que. Phd|
|Location||City of Manila, Metro Manila, Philippines|
|Address||Jesus St. Pandacan, 1011 Manila, Metro Manila, Philippines|
|Affiliations||Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Manila, PAASCU|
St. Joseph's School - Pandacan, Manila (SJS) is a private parochial school operated by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Manila. It is located in the district of Pandacan in the City of Manila, Philippines, established by His Eminence Rufino Cardinal Santos, D.D. in 1955 to provide a school that would enable the children of Pandacan and its neighboring towns an opportunity to receive good Roman Catholic oriented education.
History of St. Joseph's School
H.E. Rufino Cardinal Santos. D.D. and with the help of the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (ICM) who were also planning to build a school in Pandacan collaborated together and with the help of Msgr. Guillermo Mendoza, Parish Priest of the Sto. Niño Parish, St. Joseph's School's very first building for an elementary school was built at the adjacent vacant lot ot the church.
Sister Marie Alice Dieltiens, ICM who served as the school's first principal saw the rapid growth in population of the school. In 1959, a new high school building was built and the new high school department at that time, accepted only female students.
From 1955, St. Joseph's School's enrollment grew and some classes were being held at make shift classrooms in the Parish building office. With the help of the parents, the school obtained a loan to build a new building, an annex to the high school building which was blessed and opened on November 28, 1971 by H.E. Rufino Cardinal Santos, D.D. with Bishop Bienvenido Lopez and Msgr. Victor Serrano, Parish Priest of Sto. Niño Parish.
The ICM Sisters managed the school until 1993, when the Sisters felt at that time a chamge in their charism and mission and instead directed its mission towards deploying their sisters abroad. The ICM Sisters informed His Emminence Jaime Cardinal Sin, D.D., Manila's Archbishop, of their intentions to give up administering St. Joseph's School and turned over its management directly to the Parish Priest of Sto. Niño Parish.
New facilities improvement were introduced in the school to help elevate the conditions and teaching facilities of the school.
By school year 1994, the Sisters of the Missionary Apostles of Christ (MACE) were invited to help in administering the finance aspects of the school as well handling areas of religious education. In the same year, enrollment for male students in the high school department was finally opened.
In the year 2002, the Parish Priest of Sto. Niño gave up the Directorship of the school and concentrated on parish work instead. The Archbishop of Manila, Jaime Cardinal L. Sin, D.D. appointed Rev. Fr. Nolan G. Que, Ph.D. to the post of School Director. Long time St. Joseph teacher Ms. Emolyn G. Guamil was appointed Assistant Director while Mrs. Elizabeth D. Mendoza is the Institutional Principal since School Year 2004-2005.
In school year 2005-2006, the school opened its multi-purpose gymnasium at what used to be the elementary school chapel. The new gym serves as the main facilities for various physical education related programs of the school.
The school will also officially change its official uniform colors from the standard navy blue skirt and ties for the girls to a dark red plad skirt and tie in SY 2007-2008.
In school year 2005, Fr. Que was given the task to supervise other schools nearby including Paco Catholic School, St. Peter the Apostle School, Ermita Catholic School, Pius the X School and Malate Catholic School.
Directors of SJS from 1955 to present
- Msgr. Guillermo Mendoza - 1955 to 1970
- Msgr. Victorino Serrano - 1970 to 1986
- Msgr. Felipe Ocol - 1986 to December1988
- Msgr. Manny Sebastian - January 1989 to March 1989
- Msgr. Severino O. Lorica - April 1989 to June 2002
- Rev. Fr. Nolan A. Que, PhD - July 2002 to present
Principals of SJS from 1955 to present
- Elizabeth D. Mendoza - 2005 to present
- Sr. Marie Alice Dieltiens, ICM - 1956 to 1967(also as an Administrator)
- Sr. Marina Picardal, ICM - 1965 to 1967
- Sr. Susana Belardo, ICM - 1967 to 1968
- Sr. Gloria Ymson, ICM - 1968 to 1969
- Sr. Purisima Pe, ICM - 1969 to 1970
- Sr. Lourdes Velasco, ICM - 1970 to 1977(also an Administrator during 1978 to 1993)
- Ms. Jovita Blanco - 1977 to 1987
- Mrs. Adelia Jambalos - 1987 to 1990
- Mrs. Elizabeth D. Mendoza - 1990 to 2004
High School Department
- Sr. Estrella Ache - 1958 to 1959
- Sr. Inocencia De La Costa, ICM - 1960 to 1962
- Sr. Corazon Mendiola, ICM - 1962 to 1963(High School)
- Sr. Montserrat Agcaoili, ICM - 1963 to 1971 (also an Administrator during 1967 to 1970)
- Sr. Estrella Ache, ICM - !971 to 1973
- Sr. Cleof Bacon, ICM - 1973 to 1975
- Ms. Neriza Reyes - 1975 to 1986
- Ms. Emolyn Guamil - 1986 to 2004(also became an Assistant Directress during 2005 to present)
Saint Joseph's School believes in the potential of every student to become a useful member of the Church and the society by providing him/her with opportunities to be evangelized and be an evangelizer. The school recognizes the individual differences of its students. Through the guidance of the school administration and teacers, SJS students are formed to value the importance of work in every activity and program the school offers as it prepares them to become good Christian citizens.
St. Joseph's School, a member of the Manila Archdiocesan and Parochial Schools Association (MAPSA), is a a partner of the parish community of Sto. Niño in the evangelization and education of its members. It envisions itself as an instrument for the holistic formation of individuals through the delivery of quality basic education to the youth who will be servant-leaders of Church and Nation.
Inspired by the love of the Sto. Niño for children, and guided by the virtues of Mary and Joseph, we, the members of the academic community of St. Joseph's School, commit to:
- to Live by the core values espoused by the institution;
- To be Just
- To be Obedient
- To render humble Service
- To be Enthusiastic with everything
- To be Pious
- and Honest at all times.
The school community promotes and lives by with the following values:
- As individuals, to be disciplined, punctual, simple, obedient, honest, sincere, industrious, and diligent
- As persons of authority of the institution (admin faculty and staff), to observe respect, fairness ani to show patience, tolerance and understands dealing with students; and to be animators of love and concern;
- As students, to show respect for authority, to cleanliness and order, and to aim for excellence;
- As members of the community, to be committed t service; to be loyal to the institution; to be s dealing with one another; and to live as true di the Church and servant-leaders of the Nation — Thus creating a community that truly serves God and Country.
Goals and Objectives
St. Joseph's School aims to create an atmosphere permeate* spirit of the Gospel, as well as an environment that opportunities conducive to learning and to the formation of in order to realize its vision and to fulfill its mission. Specifically, St. Joseph's School aims:
- To integrate religion in all subject areas of ins the high school and elementary curricula;
- To maintain a high quality of instruction; and
- To preserve the harmonious and effective partnership of school. Church and community.
School Logo, Hymn & Newspaper
The logo of Saint Joseph's School is derived from its Patron, Saint Joseph the Worker. Its symbols represent the following:
- The white lily symbolizes holiness and purity;
- The carpenter's saw signifies habitual diligence and hard work;
- The shield manifests protection and defense against evil.
The school aims to form the students according to the likeness of Saint Joseph. The three symbols in the logo aptly convey the saint's main character: pure, holy and just, hardworking and protector and defender against evil and harm.
School Hymn (Tagalog)
Ikaw ang aming paaralan ... San Jose tunay naming mahal ... Aming tagumpay sa iyo iaalay ... Kahit aming abang buhay ... San Jose mahal ka namin ... Kaya't sayo kami'y inihabilin ... Natamong karunungan sa iyo galing ... Na naging tanglaw namin sa dilim ... At kung kami'y. nasa tagumpay na ... Lagi ka naming maaalala ... Gintong aral na aming nakuha ... Mananatiling lantay at maganda ... San Jose... San Jose... Sadya ka ngang walang kapara ... Kahit diwa nami't dibdib ... Ang sigaw ... "Mabuhay Ka!"
- Lyrics by: GILDA BONACRUZ & PROF. S. IMPERIO
- Music by: PROF. S. IMPERIO
The official student publication of St. Joseph's School - Pandacan had its first issue in the 1970s and it was called, "The Clarion."
Like any other school, the ICM Sisters who was managing St. Joseph's School at that time wanted to provide a venue for journalism for its small community. The school had a very small population at that time and sustaining an official publication proved to be impractical at that time. Also, there was little interest in contributing to a school paper at that time from among the students.
There were several efforts in the 80s starting in 1986, and into the 90s to revive "The Clarion" but after a few issues, it failed to sustain itself. To date, Assistant School Director, Miss Emolyn Guamil, a long-time faculty of the school was only able to archive issues from 1981 and 1994.
During school year 2005 to 2006, a new set of editorial and production staff were chosen to run the school paper and was only able to publish one issue for the year.
- Rev. Fr. Nolan A. Que, PhD (Over-all Consultant)
- Ms. Emolyn G. Guamil (Adviser)
- Mrs. Ma. Victoria A. Meniano (Adviser)
- Ms. Claire B. Parce (English Consultant)