San Beda College
|Motto||Fides, Scientia, Virtus|
Very Rev. Fr. Anscar J. Chupungco, OSB
|Faculty||915 (including service personnel)|
Law, Medicine, Philosophy, Liturgical Studies, MBA
|Location||Mendiola, Manila, Philippines|
|Campus||Mendiola, Manila (Main); Taytay, Rizal; Alabang, Muntinlupa City|
|Colors||Red █ and White █|
|Nickname||San Beda Red Lions|
San Beda College (SBC) (Spanish for Saint Bede) is a college run by the Benedictine monks in the Philippines. It is located at Mendiola Street in San Miguel, Manila. It was founded in 1901 to cope with the ever-growing need of the population for education. San Beda, which was known then as El Colegio de San Beda, started as an all-boys elementary school, it has since expanded to include high school department and Colleges of Arts and Science and Law School. Currently, it has three other campuses: the San Beda College-Rizal (the largest San Beda campus in size), and the new extension campus for the College of Law at Muntinlupa City. It also has a brother school named San Beda College Alabang (formerly known as St. Benedict College and Benedictine Abbey School) located in the posh Alabang village. Also, the Paul VI Institute of Liturgy in Malaybalay is being managed by the Benedictine monks.
Located in a once quiet, middle-class residential area, San Beda College is now part of Manila's bustling University Belt, an irregular crescent curving for about six kilometers through six districts of Manila, containing more than thirty colleges and universities.
At present, San Beda College has eight departments: the Basic Education Department; the College of Arts and Sciences, which offers liberal arts, science and business programs; the College of Law, founded in 1948; the Graduate Schools of Business, Liturgy, Masters of Philosophy (MPhil) and Law; the College of Medicine, and the College of Nursing. San Beda opened its doors to female students in 2004 and relocated its Basic Education Department (pre-school to high school) to a new campus in Taytay, Rizal.
San Beda is a founding member of the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (Philippines). Its varsity teams are the San Beda Red Lions with their Team A referred to as Team Animo and Team B as Team Behold.
The physical lay-out of the school provides for both functionality and aesthetics. The school maximizes available space and provisions for multi-purpose rooms. Classrooms have air conditioning units. Overhead projectors and LCD projectors are also provided for each classroom with white screens. A fully air-conditioned and well-lit Conference Hall is available for use. The school's major athletic facilities include the St. Placid's Sports Complex, the senior football field, the physical fitness room, and the swimming pool.
San Beda College has four libraries, two auditoriums, four science laboratories, six computer laboratories, a medical and dental clinic, two covered basketball courts, a football field, two swimming pools, a quadrangle where graduations and morning assemblies are held, 2 canteens, and a bookstore.
San Beda College used to be an exclusive school for boys. It became a co-educational institution in 2003. It was the same period when the Commission on Higher Education of the Philippines granted Full Autonomy to the College. It also consistently maintained its Level III PAASCU Accreditation. Upon the granting of Full Autonomy, the College offered Nursing courses and started to transfer its Grade School and High School at Taytay Rizal. The last batch of High School students from Mendiola graduated last March 31 2006 while only three batches of Grade School students now remain at the same campus.
San Beda College occupies a 35,000 square metre lot along the historic Mendiola Street in the City of Manila. It is easily accessible by private or public transportation. Along its periphery are situated other colleges and universities, dormitories, shopping centers and restaurants. It takes advantage of the second line of the Light Rail Transit System that passes along the busy Claro M Recto Avenue and Legarda Street.
Though situated at the center of a bustling metropolis near the country's seat of power, the Malacanang Palace, the school maintains a relatively relaxed, urbane and closely-knit environment among the members of the Bedan community.
23 monks work in the school as administrators, chaplains, teachers and guidance counsellors. Grade school and high school classes start at 7.30 in the morning and end in the afternoon, while college classes start in the afternoon and end at 9.30 in the evening.
The co and extra-curricular activities of San Beda College encourage creative leadership, collaborative management and harmonious empowerment among the students. Each academic department has its own Student Council which closely monitors all activities. To ensure better implementation and relevance to the organization's constitutions and objectives, student organizations are required to submit and if need be, defend a Student Activity Program-Budget Proposal.
Official Student Publication
The Bedan is the official student newspaper of San Beda College, College of Arts and Sciences. It is owned and published by the students, although directly and immediately managed by a group of student journalists.
The Bedan is now on its 63rd volume.
Alumni of The Bedan includes:
- Ramon Mitra (Editor-in-Chief)
- Raul Roco (Editor-in-Chief)
- Renito A.V. Saguisag (Editor-in-Chief)
- Jaime Licauco (Literary editor)
- Raul Contreras (Staff)
San Beda College-Rizal:
Starting 2004, the Basic Education Department was relocated to a new campus in Taytay, Rizal.
Basic Education Department
- Primary Grade School (Nursery to Grade 2)
- Middle Grade School (Grades 3 and 4) (Rizal campus)
- Middle Grade School (Grades 4 to 6) (Mendiola campus)
- High School
San Beda College-Mendiola, Manila:
College of Arts and Sciences
- AB-Philosophy and Human Resource Development
- BS-Economics and Public Policy
- BS-Financial Management and Systems Development
- BS-Information and Communication Technology
- BS-International Business and Entrepreneurial Management
- BS-Legal Management
- BS-Marketing and Corporate Communications
College of Nursing
In 2003, the board of trustees of San Beda College approved the opening of the College of Nursing in consortium with Loyola Medical College Foundation chaired by Dr. Johnny Fong.
On its first year the College was housed in the third floor of St. Benedict's Hall. On June 15, 2004, the Nursing building in honor of Rose and Albert Fong was blessed and inaugurated which would house the College starting AY 2004-2005.
The College, one of the youngest in San Beda had a good showing during the 2005 Nursing Board Exams, where almost 80% of Bedan nursing examinees passed. The 8th placer in the said examination came from the College.
College of Medicine
The College of Medicine was established in 2002 to offer a medicine program and to help San Beda eventually gain university status. The College will start sending examinees to the Medical board exams next year, 2007.
College of Law
The College of Law was founded in 1948. It has produced reputable Filipino lawyers such as former Senator Rene Saguisag, the late Senator Raul S. Roco, and five Justices of the Supreme Court -- Florenz D. Regalado, the holder of the highest bar exam grade in the country, Justo P. Torres Jr., Antonio M. Martinez, Romeo J. Callejo Sr., and Antonio Eduardo B. Nachura.
In 2004, the San Beda College, in partnership with the Supreme Court of the Philippines and the Philippine Judicial Academy, established the Graduate School of Law with post-graduate studies focused on criminal justice and the judicial system in the country.
Graduate School of Business
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Entrepreneurial Management
- Executive MBA program
- Doctor of Business Administration
Graduate School of Philosophy
- Masters of Philosophy with Areas of specialization in Cultural Studies and Good Governance (MPhil program)
Graduate School of Liturgy
- Master of Arts in Liturgy
- Master of Arts in Liturgical Studies
Graduate School of Law
- Judicial Program
- Executive Program
- Ladderized Program
- Master in Criminal Justice Administration
San Beda College Alabang:
College of Arts and Sciences
- AB Legal Management
- AB International Studies (with specializations in Tourism Management, and Philippine Gov't and External Relations)
- AB Communications and Media Studies
- BS Accountancy
- BS Information Technology (majors: Systems Development and Networking Administration)
- BS Information Management
- BS Business Management (majors: Marketing and Sales, Marketing and Finance Management and Entrepreneurship)
- BS Psychology
College of Law
The San Beda College of Law in Alabang was recently established in 2004. It serves and caters to residents of the southern part of Metro Manila who want to take up law but are not able to come to the Mendiola Campus due to distance and time constraints.
The College of Law in Alabang does not have its own Charter and license to operate independently from the Main Campus so it is considered as an "Annex" or "Satellite" of the College of Law in Manila as stated and cleared in one of the issues of San Beda College of Law Student Publication.
For complete list see:
- Agapito "Butz" Aquino (GS, HS)- Deputy House Minority Leader, 13th Congress of the Philippines.
- Benigno Aquino, Jr., (HS)- Former Philippine Senator
- Danilo Lacuna - current Vice-Mayor, Manila
- Herbert Constantine M. Bautista (AB)- Actor; Vice-Mayor, Quezon City.
- Ramon V. Mitra, (AB)- Former Speaker of the House of Representatives. 1992 Presidential Candidate
- Ishmael Mathay(Ll.B) - former Mayor, Quezon City
- Raul Roco, (AB, LlB)- Former Philippine Senator, 2004 Presidential candidate.
- Rene Saguisag, (AB,Ll.B) Former Philippine Senator and Human Rights Lawyer
- Sonny Belmonte - current Mayor, Quezon City
- Roberto R. Concepcion,Sr.(HS, AA), Former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the Philippines(1966-1973); Commissioner, 1987 Philippine Constitutional Commission
- Jose C. Mendoza, (Ll.B.), Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the Philippines
- Bienvenido L. Reyes, (Ll.B.), Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the Philippines
- Antonio Eduardo Nachura, (Ll.B.), Retired Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the Philippines
- Florenz D.Regalado, Retired Justice of the Philippine Supreme Court; Former Dean, San Beda College of Law, Holder of the highest ever Philippine bar exam score
- Romeo J. Callejo Sr.(Ll.B), Retired Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the Philippines
- Justo P. Torres, Jr., Retired Justice of the Philippine Supreme Court
- Antonio Martinez, Retired Justice of the Philippine Supreme Court
- Sabino B. Padilla, Sr., Former Justice of the Philippine Supreme Court
- Gregorio Perfecto, Former Justice of the Philippine Supreme Court
- Avelino Cruz (AB, LLB)- Bar Topnotcher, Founding partner, Angara Abello Concepcion Regala and Cruz (ACCRA) Law Offices
- Sixto Brillantes Jr. (GS, HS, AB, LLB)- Election Lawyer
Business and Economics
- Andrew Gotianun(BSC) - Chairman and CEO, Filinvest Land Corporation
- Eduardo “Danding” Cojuangco, Jr (GS, HS).- Chief Executive Officer, San Miguel Corporation.
- Eugenio "Geny" Lopez, Jr. (GS) - Founding Chairman, ABS-CBN Corporation
- Jose E.B. Antonio (BSC)- Businessman, Special Envoy to the People’s Republic of China.
- Jose G. Araullo(BSC) - Chairman Emeritus and Founding Partner, Punongbayan & Araullo
- Manuel V. Pangilinan (GS, HS)- Chairman and CEO, First Pacific Corporation & PLDT, highest paid CEO in Asia
- Peter Favila (GS, HS)- current Secretary of the Department of Trade and Industry, businessman.
- Robert G. Coyiuto (BSC)- Businessman
- Bodgie Pascua- Multi-awarded Stage and TV Actor.
- Eddie Gutierrez (HS)- Actor.
- Fernando Poe, Jr.(GS)- Philippine Actor, National Artist,. "Da King of Philippine Movies".
- Jimmy Antiporda (HS)- composer, music arranger and record producer.
Arts, architecture, humanities, journalism, history
- Arturo Luz (GS) - National Artist for Painting
- Jose Maria Zaragoza - Architecture
- Francisco A. Manosa (GS, HS)- Foremost Filipino architect.
- Gualberto “Rachy” Cuna (GS, HS, AB)- International Events, Stage and Interior designer.
- Jaime T. Licauco (GS, HS, AB)- “guru of Philippine parapsychology” and paranormal studies.
- Francisco A. Medrano, Resistance Fighter, Former Military General.
Medicine, science and health
- Dr. Ramon L. Arcadio (GS, HS)- University of the Philippines-Manila chancellor.
- Dr. Jaime Galvez-Tan (GS, HS)- Former Secretary of the Department of Health
- Carlos Loyzaga, Known as the "Big Difference" to the Philippine sports press.
- Charles Borck, Former Philippine Olympic basketball Teams of the 1930s.
- Tom Concon, Former Junior Golf World Champion 13-14 years old Division.
- Venancio "Benjie" Paras - Philippine Basketball Player / Actor.
- Ronald Magsanoc - Philippine Basketball Player
- Joaquin "Chito" Loyzaga - Philippine Basketball Player and son of Carlos Loyzaga.
Theology, liturgy, church music
- Rev. Fr. Anscar J. Chupungco, OSB- current college rector-president.
- Rev. Fr. Ranhilio C. Aquino - constitutionalist.
- Rev. Benildus Maramba, OSB- Church musician and composed The Bedan Hymn.
Honorary Alumni and Notable Faculty
- Corazon C. Aquino- (Honoris Causa, 2000), Former president of the Philippines.
- Robert de Ocampo- (Honoris Causa), president, Asian Institute of Management.
- Estrella Juco- (Honoris Causa), journalist, Congresswoman.
- Artemio Panganiban- 21st Supreme Court Chief Justice of the Philippines.
San Beda College Alabang
- Pilar Juliana "Pia" Cayetano (GS, HS)- Philippine Senator.
- Lino Cayetano (GS, HS)- Television Director, brother of Senator Pia S. Cayetano.
- Jon Santos (GS, HS)- TV Host and Actor.
- Denoy Navarro (GS, HS)- Scriptwriter.
- John Paul Abellera (GS, HS, CAS)- Scriptwriter.
- Rico Blanco- lead singer of Rivermaya.
- Jett Pangan - lead singer and founding member The Dawn.
- San Beda College Official Website
- San Beda College Alabang Official Website of the Alabang Campus
- San Beda Basketball League San Beda Red Lions Website
- Bedista.com Online Portal for Bedans
- Washington Bedans Washington Bedans - association of SBC alumni in Washington, D.C.
- www.beda7882.com The website of San Beda College Grade School 1978 and High School 1982
- San Beda College Grade School batch 1978 and High School Batch 1982 The Yahoo group of San Beda College Grade School batch 1978 and High School Batch 1982
|The Mendiola Consortium|
|Centro Escolar University • College of the Holy Spirit • La Consolacion College • San Beda College|
|National Collegiate Athletic Association Season 83|
|Letran||Benilde/LSGH||JRU||Mapúa||San Beda||San Sebastian||UPHD|
|Knights||Blazers||Heavy Bombers||Cardinals||Red Lions||Stags||Altas|
|Squires||Greenies||Light Bombers||Red Cubs||Staglets||Altalettes|
|Lady Knights||Lady Blazers||Lady Stags||Lady Altas|
|The PCU Dolphins are suspended for the 2007-08 season.|