Pichi-Pichi is a favorite dessert of the Filipinos made of coconut and cassava or kamoteng kahoy. It is one of the delicious cakes enjoyed by many Filipinos during special occasions and merienda. This Filipino delicacy was introduced in the Quezon Province, Philippines.
- 1 and a half cup of grated cassava
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 bundle of Pandan leaves or a few drop of pandan essence in a cup of warm water.
- 1/2 teaspoon of lye water or lihiya
- grated coconut for topping
The estimated time for cooking this meal is about an hour and 20 minutes. In preparing pichi-pichi, first, mix the sugar and the pandan flavored water until the sugar is dissolved. Then, mix the cassava and add the lye water drop by drop while stirring the concoction continuously. Pour the mixture into a mold or bowl that fits the steamer, then steam it until the mixture becomes translucent. Scoop out the cooked mixture while it is still hot, then roll it into the grated coconut. The delicacy will then be ready for serving.
- Pichi Pichi Recipe (Accessed on May 02, 2008)