Parian is a ghetto outside the pueblo of Manila during the Spanish Period where non-Christianed Chinese lived. The Chinese were allowed by the Spaniards to do trade inside the walled city however as business grew they outnumbered the Spanish residents in a short period of time. The influx of Chinese traders alarmed the Spanish authorities thus they established a rule in 15882 of conversion of religion as the ticket for Chinese to become residents of Manila. Those who refused to convert were relocated to the Parian.
It is also called Pantin. The Parian became the commercial center of Manila. The community had more than a hundred shops comprimising the Chinese silk market, small shops of tailors, cobblers, painters, bakers, confectioners, candlemakers, silversmiths, apothecaries and other tradesmen.
The location of the Parian moved from time to time and persisted until 1790. The first Parian was situated in the current location of the Arroceros Forest Park along the banks of the Pasig River. The second Parian was built in 1583 after the first Parian burned down. The oringal location is now called Liwasang Bonifacio. The area endured until the end of the 18th century. The Chinese community later moved to other parts of Manila including Binondo, Sta. Cruz, and Tondo. The second-to-last Parian was shaped liked an octagon and was also built near Pasig River.
- Corpuz, O.D. 2005. The Roots of the Filipino Nation. Quezon City: The University of the Philippines.
- Escaño, Cesar Miguel G. Chinese Roots in Manila https://www.yehey.com/lifestyle/culture.aspx?artid=6536 (accessed May 14, 2008)