National Computer Center
National Computer Center (NCC) is an agency of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) under the supervision of the Office of the President, upon the issuance of the Executive Order 222 in March 2000 that supports the administration's Information and Communications Technology (ICT) drive by building strategic alliances with the private sector, coordinating ICT activities, developing human capital, promoting ICT utilization in all sectors of the society, and advocating Philippine ICT services worldwide.
However, prior to its transfer to the supervision of DOST, it was originally created through a memorandum of Understanding between the former Presidential Economic Staff (PES) and Department of National Defense (DND) on June 30, 1968. It was formally launched on June 12, 1971 through Executive Order 322, functioned to provide information bases for integrated planning and implementation of development programs and operational activities in the government. In July 19, 1999, Executive Order 125 was issued and renewed NCC by tasking the Center to facilitate the development and implementation of a Government Information Systems Plan (GISP), in order to accelerate electronic governance in the country for greater productivity, give wider access to public information and provide for the faster delivery of basic services.
Presidential Decree 1480, titled “Providing for the Restructuring of the National Computer Center”, issued on June 11, 1978, strengthened and enhanced the powers and functions of NCC. Among these are:
- Planning - this develops Master Plan for Electronic Data Processing (EDP) in the government that includes a national program for computer education and training, information processing and the national information systems development.
- Policies & Standards Development - this provides policy guidelines for the development, discretion and control of computer technology as a national resource such as the acquisition and utilization of computers and related devices, data communications, information systems and manpower development.
- Program Coordination - this coordinates all activities related to computerization in the country and ensure the implementation of an integrated national computer development program.
- Consultancy Services - this provides necessary computer services to government agencies and to assist EDP units of government agencies.
- Education & Research - this establishes, operates and maintains an EDP educational and research center.
- NCC website (accessed on October 22, 2007)